Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hokey Ass New Guy...

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 46chevytruck, Nov 4, 2010.

1. 46chevytruck

46chevytruck

I am 54 and well into my second or third childhood. ( you're only as old as you act, right?) As a teenager, I started a '27 T project - fiberglass body, turtledeck, 2x3 tube frame, Merc flathead, 3 speed overdrive. I grafted a MGB IFS, rack and pinion, wires with knock-off hubs - kinda cutting edge for 1970 - I thought so anyway. I lost the whole thing in a bad divorce before it was streetable.

Long period of not having bux or room to work. Looking at magazines and dreaming. Helping other guys sometimes.

Fast forward to 2002. I started a 1956 F100, then got a little crazy with it. I put a IFS, rack and pinion (see a pattern there?), four link rear, lowered it a bunch and installed a Cummins 24v turbodiesel. Radical performance, 25 mpg and I am the only kid on the block to have one. Total investment around $13,000 because I did every nut, bolt and stitch myself. I am kinda proud of that. Finished it in March this year and over 5000 miles on it this summer.

Now I am doing a 1946 Chevy truck. I am putting it on a S10 4WD chassis because it snows here (Montana) and I like to drive my cars. It will be properly low with an agressive stance. A 2" chop is in the works.

I don't know if I belong here, but I dig the board and the traditional rod vibe. My dad and his buddies built rods in the late 40's and 50's, in the same way traditional rodders do it now - use what you got, make what you can, turn out a nice, good-performing, safe ride. Although my schtick seems to be more "custom" blended with "hot rod", I use the same ethic - I have neither the money or the inclination to buy cookie-cutter, trailer queen show cars.

I hope you will let me hang with youall - time to time.

I like PBR, if that helps...

2. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Welcome to the HAMB!

3. Welcome from Connecticut

4. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoy from No. Conn. I have a 46.

5. Welcome aboard the H.A.M.B. from Des Moines, Iowa!!

6. big bad john

big bad john

.........Welcome from Wisconsin,,,,,enjoy the ride on the H.A.M.B.......

7. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

welcome to the hamb

8. RDR

RDR

Welcome from central Oregon....just keep on building 'em !

9. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

welcome to the HAMB from wayOUT weST AZ............

10. Welcome from Scotland, a 46 anything's a rare beasty over here.
    Good luck with your new project.

11. 46chevytruck

46chevytruck

Thanks, everyone - havin' fun so far!