Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOK paint question!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-kenny, Apr 15, 2010.

1. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

Hi I'am thinking about using house of kolor's shimrin metallic base, has anyone tried adding a catalyst to it making it a satin 2k paint? will that work?

my reason for doing this would be to save money by skipping the clear. The paint is 200Dollar per Quart over here...........

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm no paint expert by any stretch, but that doesn't make any sense to me. The basecoat formula is drying by the solvents evaporating from the mix, not by some catalyzed chemical reaction. The clear coat dries hard by an actual chemical reaction. You can't just add catalyst to the base coat and expect it to dry like a clear, it's two totally separate formulas.

HOK is the finest stuff around though, and my own personal choice as well. I don't get it though, you're trying to save money but you're using HOK? That's like buying a Maserati and bitching about the fuel milage.

3. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

What are you trying to accomplish here? You like a certain HOK base and want it satin? The only (right) way to do it is to clear with a flattened clear. HOK makes a flattening agent designed for their clears.

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

HOK doesn't recomend the addition of a catalyst to the Shimrin Metalic Bases.The addition of a catalyst to the Shimrin Base colour would turn your "satin" finish to a semi glossy one.
    There isn't a good & cheap way to produce a satin finish that's long lived.
    Without the addition of a clearcoat, they stain easily and won't weather well.

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

5. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Totally agree although I really like HOK colors under a nice clear coat. Nothing quite like them really.

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

YUP!
    What they said!

Sorry, but I just HAD to say something in a post about HOK paint!

7. lowelife

lowelife

Just sprayed a gallon worth of "orion silver" and Ido know HOK does not recomend adding anything but thier own products to thier paint. Had a buddy add some non HOK pearl to a HOK candy and completly screwed up. Now he has $1000 of candy dust on his floor.

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Couldn't let JOE of all people outdo us huh?!?!?!?! Kid watches HOK get sprayed on his car and now he's an expert... sheesh!!!! :D

9. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

I'm no paint expert either, thats why I ask questions. English isn't my first language so I often get confused reading tech sheets, thought it would'nt dry up without a catalyst... bitching is my thing.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  10. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

yes I'm want a satin/suede look, guess I will try the flattening agent in the clear.

thanks.

11. Never mix other items into paint from other manufacturers, stick by what they recommend. HOK has great customer service, if they say "stand on your head and spit wooden nickles" while you paint, that's what you do.

Ever start drinking wine and switch to bourbon later in the evening? The concept is the same. Not good results.

Bob

12. seank38

seank38
    from high river

If you are on a budget , try looking at Sherwin Williams Planet Color line .They also have a flat clear . I have used both several times and it looks great and is affordable .www.sherwin-automotive.com

13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

No worries man, better to ask questions when it comes to this stuff. Chopolds and Slowandlow63 have been my connections when I have paint questions. Mark told me years ago, "Read the fucking directions". Using that advice I've rarely had any issues spraying whatever paint system, and NEVER mixing paint systems.

No matter what, bare base coat is not going to hold up well. You need a clear on top to protect it or you'll be redoing it in a few months. That's an even bigger waste of money.

My point was simply that if you are on a tight budget, and you find HOK to be prohibitively expensive, then cutting cost by omitting the clear is the wrong approach. Find a cheaper paint system, such as PPG OMNI, or the Sherwin Williams line, and go through all the proper steps.

14. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

if u want a catalyzed base with hok, the only way to get that is use kv1.

if u want a metallic color, u can use silver koseal and tint it with candy concentrate.

thats the low buck way to do it, as some people just like the right way.

if it was me, id would do a flat clear.

15. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

planet color in pints is more then house of kolor in quarts.

16. Erik B

Erik B

Not to hijack but.. I primed with DuPont surfacer and want to seal it from moisture until I'm paint ready. Can I spray HOK Epoxy Surfacer Sealer on the DuPont primer? Thanks-

17. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Was it dry pearl?......If it was i can't believe it:confused:

18. stev8

stev8

Try a little bit first!!
    It works ok, we did a job similar just recently.
    Be aware though, without a gloss coat to allow the pearl to "reflect" at the angles, the pearl will be very hard to notice untill it rains!!!
    And to all those who were asking "why?". Most modern car engine bays when repaired are simply just that, basecoat with hardner added! Gives a solvent resitance satin finish.
    Also, sometimes hardner may be added to the basecoat for better adhesion of the clearcoat.

Though in saying all that, a satin 2 pack clear is the better way to go. Far more durable.

19. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

thanks everyone! I'll post pics when I decide what to do, and get it painted.

20. Yes, you can spray HOK over you sealer.

When people talk about mixing paints they are talking about using say HOK base with dupont reducer, that is a NO, NO and you will end up with a big mess.

I use HOK base and Dupont 7900S clear. I do not like HOK Clear. as long as you have it preped properly it will stick.

Ronnie

21. Erik B

Erik B

Thanks Ronnie- I thought as much but just wigged out for a second. Paints are changing so fast I thought there may be something weird going on.

22. BDK_Tinman

BDK_Tinman

Just so you know, 2k basecoats, HOK or otherwise, are porous by design so that the hardner in the clear coat will catalyse the base and it all hangs on together.
    Would strongly advise against mixing a little clear into the base and shooting it as one. Thats just asking for trouble.
    Spray your base, allow it to dry for a good half hour then shoot a couple coats of clear with a flattening agent. Ask your supplier for a data sheet on this so you can get the level of satin effect your chasing, but don't be surprised if its as much as 50% of the total volume of your clear coats.

23. bigguylilroof

bigguylilroof

shoot the orion silver base. that will set up like any other base, but remember house of kolor is not a whore!! if you cheat on it with another paint product.... well.... lets just say you will lookin at undercoat my friend! good luck!

24. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

If your looking for a flat finish you could clear it with PPG Flex-N-Flat. It's a preflattened clear sold by the quart. I've used it several times with great results.

25. THE SHOP

THE SHOP

Is this clear you speak able to be reduced slightly? to allow it to go a long way? a tiny bit longer anyway. I understand they'd be thinner coats, but should be good enough for the guys that think it should be good enough? lol. makes no sense huh. Anyway, I have taken a small amount of Wet look hardner for acrylic enamel and stirred it in with my HOK base and had good results. Less likely to scratch. Much more durable catalyzed. If you're on somewhat of a budget, this works great!!!