Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hockey Puck Body Mount Horror Stories?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot_rod_17, May 6, 2008.

1. hot_rod_17

hot_rod_17

I did a quick search and found a few old threads discussing the use of hockey pucks as body mounts. Are there any horror stories or otherwise bad experiences anyone has had using these? I am thinking of using them on my 51 Chevy p/u on an S10 chassis. Can I expect them to last a while??

Thanks

2. The Wolf

The Wolf
    from OAKLAND CA

i've never used them myself, but i know afew people who have. i've never heard any horror stories. they're just a chunk of nice round rubber.

3. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I used em last year at Lead East after my motor dropped and my crank pulley started wiping the crossmember on my 51 Merc. Worked great and where are you going to get a motor mount kit on a Sunday for $2? :D

4. time_xx

time_xx

I have heard urban legend of them breaking when they get super cold and beat up during driving. This is up north of coarse. I doubt that many cars/trucks on here would be driven in sub-zero weather anyway. Personally, I don't think it would be a problem. They were also used as some of the first body lifts on 4x4's long ago...

dan31 likes this.

5. Movinman

Movinman

They make great tranny mounts in my 53 Merc. So far, no problems.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

arent they build to be in sub zero weather and beaten on??

7. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

They are commonly used in the restoration of off road trucks. Never heard a complaint.

8. time_xx

time_xx

I have never been to a sub-zero(20-30 below) hockey game.......hockey stick VS. 2 ton truck....psi is a little different.

9. David Chandler

David Chandler

I have used them several times. I split one, which I probably over tightened the bolt. You can drill them and put in a steel or brass bushing to eliminate the excess crush effect though. I also use fender washers to spread the load a bit more on them. Just seal the parts that will contact the body or frame with RTV to keep the water out, and they will last for years.

10. I have never used them on a car but I play hockey. The rink owner bought a shit load of pucks made in China and they freaking broke all of the time. Look on the side of the puck and make sure you get one's made in Canada or Slovokia.

11. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

they are too hard. you might as well use solid aluminum. the reason 4x4 guys use them is because they are so hard.

Sporty45 likes this.
  12. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

I think they would be fine to use, but I dont have any personal experience with them. Like has been said, they might be a little on the hard side.

But really, what kinda "horror story" could actually happen? If one breaks you will probably notice the body sagging.

I dont think it could really have any horrific effects. Well, unless you are driving and suddenly ALL of them break, and in addition all the body mount bolts snap, and you are 20 feet from the ramp you were gonna use to jump the car?

simpsonrl and kiwijeff like this.
  13. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Take it from a Canadian, they are too damn hard. Go to your local speed shop and buy an Energy Suspension or likewise Chevelle body mount kit in black. It will give you all the mounts you would need for most Hot Rod/ Custom applications.

14. hot_rod_17

hot_rod_17

Thanks fellas. I was just looking at the polyurethane kits online. Since I'm starting over from a freshly sandblasted frame I'll probabaly get a kit that has everything. I need to rebuild the front end anyway......

15. worrying about pucks when they're frozen...lol

16. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I knew guys in Alaska that stacked them for a mild 4x4 body lift and never heard of any failure there.

17. time_xx

time_xx

Like I said, URBAN LEGEND, not gospel.

18. pitman

pitman

The '63+ vette rear spring and the '57 chevy engine mount bushing are good and resemble the puck. Never had any issues w/them.

19. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I wouldn't bother with them. I got a pair of OEM mounts from the dealership and drilled out my mount to fit just like they would have on the S10 frame. The rear mounts are stock shackles. They weren't that expensive and they work great. I don't have to worry about them breaking or some ruthless Canadians stealing them for a pick up game.

20. 4HawkRod

4HawkRod
    BANNED

I used them in my 50 Chevy Pickup.

Just make sure you use the blank ones. If you use the ones marked Maple Leafs they will cause you major setbacks'''lol

21. Any body from Canada knows there were many GM,s driving around up here with patched up frames and hockey puck body mounts....Eventually you would see a rope wrapped around the back bumper leading up into the trunk tied to something big. Damn rust......

22. Outlaw Bender

Outlaw Bender

Used them as bodymount for my -69 Nova.(Subframe)
    Only complaint was, it increased the roadhandling.:p

Clay Belt likes this.
  23. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have used them. Never had a problem. but make sure you get the good ones that are made in canada of similar.

24. thought this was a punchline to a old DON RICKLES routine!

25. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

this thread is funny, why don't you just buy the real thing?

26. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

lol

27. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

The "problem" with hockey pucks is that people used them to scab together 3 or 4 INCH "lifts" on top of their flexy original body mounts.
    There was no real resistance to movement in hard cornering or braking...things slipped or flexed excessively causing pucks to tear apart and get spit out or even the sheetmetal of the floor mount to work harden and eventually crack apart.
    Finally they were outlawed and with good reason.

The thing is...NOW they are illegal to use...PERIOD.

Simply replacing the original rubber mounts with pucks isn't nearly the same thing as a huge rubber puck body lift...but because of the stuff people tried to get away with by using them before, now it IS the same thing in the eyes of Mr Law.

28. So... What are Canadian Hockey players using for "pucks" NAPA Motor mounts...????

29. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Specially shaped "Walnut Crunch" donuts from TIM HORTONS!

Ya know...THEY might work as body mounts too...and the COPS love them! ;)

30. Workin-Stiff-88

Workin-Stiff-88

A more relevant question could not be asked!