Register now to get rid of these ads!

History HO Slot Cars - Tyco 1964-5 Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yutan Flash, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Was at a model railroad swap meet yesterday and stumbled across a catalog from Tyco circa 1964-1965 showing they made HO-scale slot cars at that time including then-current T-birds, Corvettes, a Grand Prix and some others. I started out with Aurora T-Jets in the mid-late '60s and always am on the lookout for early '60s ones, especially Fords/T-birds, but never seen a Tyco one. Anyone got a picture?

2. Here you go
    [​IMG]

Montana1 likes this.
  3. Tycos were not as fast nor did they have the "performance " parts that were available for the Auroras. The only parts we would use were those cool aluminum wheels....memories. Use the want ads here and on craigslist to find them...they are collecting dust.

Montana1 likes this.
  4. Yes, memories! I had Tyco in '66 when I was a kid, then switched to Auroras. They were very fast. I ended up being the Slot Car Club President in '68 in Jr. High. We had races every Wednesday night after school. I still have some of my cars around somewhere. :cool:

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    The road racing slot car track (hobby shop) that we went to had weekly races using these cars. That made the races very even as they were all powered with the same stuff. (no mods) Now, it was skill, not speed secrets that gave one guy an advantage over the other. The hobby shop provided the little race cars and they all moved well. Of course, they were not as fast as our bigger, more powerful cars on the bigger track. These little guys were fun.

Jnaki
    These weekly events brought in many new slot car guys to the activity. Then, when they saw the larger modified sports cars, lowered, light weight bodies, some with custom brass frames, zipping around the bigger track, they spent money on the bigger cars. So, the hobby shop guy had a pretty good thing going for his shop. Plus it was difficult modifying those little cars with the latest technology, as there were none available. But my neighborhood friend got a cool HO set for Christmas one year.