Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hmnn, what oil do I want and what do I need?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Took the night off from work and called AZ to have the set out a jug of oil and filter so my daughter could just go in and pick it up

Fellow on the phone started giving me a mini-lecture about “oil is oil”. Maybe my voice sounded young, but told him how long I’ve been doing oil changes and just give me what I asked for.
    Rant over, starting to rain again

Truck64 and stillrunners like this.
  2. don't leave us in suspense....what were you looking for?

3. Budget36

Budget36

Lol. I asked for 0-20 M1 full synthetic and the proper filter. It’s what I’ve been using since I bought the car new.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably one of those clowns that thought you should buy the package they had on sale with the crappy filter.
    Also the same guy with the beat to hell Tempo with three colors of body panels on it out in the parking lot that has never had the same oil put in it twice in a row.

Butler 32, Oldb, stillrunners and 2 others like this.
  5. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^ what he said.

6. Funny commercial, never seen that one before.

7. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I wish oil was oil,
    I have 7 cars and keep 5 types of oil on hand for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. I use the same. Every year the recommended oil gets thinner. Pretty soon we will be in negative numbers.

X38 and Budget36 like this.
  9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

When you're in sales, and I ain't, when somebody wants to buy something from you, don't argue with them.

"This is what I want, set it out for me wouldja?"

"Sure, be glad to, no problem. Thank You for your business."

Duh!

10. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

what Truck64 said..........

Truck64 likes this.
  11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

That kinda was my point, if I ask for a red doohickey, don’t sell me on the merits of a blue one;)

Truck64 likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

if the blue one has a higher profit margin, he's obligated....

XXL__ and Budget36 like this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I think I sniffed that out once. I was stationed "over there" some years ago, and bought an OT "broke my wallet" beater to get around in, great little car.

So I went shopping for a new battery when the time came at one of the little on base car parts AAFES outlets. They had a few different domestic brands of batteries and a salesman talked about them. They also had a Bosch battery display, with some dusty ones. They were probably 25% more expensive, I dunno. That's why they were dusty anyway. Yes, I know, I know, don't buy old stock batteries.

Anyhoo at some point I asked about them, or something. I don't remember what it was, but I noticed he kept getting more and more agitated under the collar. So then I put on my innocent poker face and decided what the hell, it's only another 20 bucks or whatever I'll just string him along, and he just kept insisting that I buy the store brand battery. This went on for about 5 minutes. The more pissed off he got, the more laid back I got.

I think he about blew a gasket when I asked "Well, in theory, if I were to choose the Bosch battery, I mean, you would sell it to me, correct . It is legal to purchase, yes?"

Great fun!

Budget36 and Guy Patterson like this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Ask my stupid granddaughter if oil is oil . she came by our house one day when we weren't home and needed some oil for her car. She had a choice go buy good oil or buy cigarettes and guess which one she chose. I had 2 one gallon jugs setting outside of my garage and she looked them and they looked like good oil so she poured some in her car and drove away.
    the jug had the oil I had drained from my blown up top loader and my broken main cap 5.0 ford motor. She got about 40 miles before it started knocking.
    Now she is walking and I think it's funny.

17. Budget36

Budget36

18. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doesn’t the right oil depend on the engine and application? What are you putting it it?

John