Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hiwayman NEEDS a Y-Block!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6-bangertim, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

helps to keep me on the *right* side o the grass :D

thankee kindly "flat fix six" :)

pat59 likes this.
  2. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

January 14, 2014 at 3:02pm ·
    littl college gal here doin a documentary film bout my 48 year "mission" of helpin others got filmed herself by my dashcam [​IMG]:) no reason to rush nor scary here as we were OFF the freeway @ Carmel Valley road

[​IMG]

3. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

4. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

5. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thomas Wellerto Thomas Weller
    January 22, 2015 ·
    by theHighwayman on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:07 pm

was in onea my down moods

headed out for a beach "loop"

right outta the gate, came upon a black rubber "trail" enterin the I-8 WB from the 125 SB that ended at a leetil, older, blazer SUV w a blown RF tire

gal sittin in it lookin pretty sad -- vehicle loaded w everythin she owns -- livin init -- well it HAS a spare but it's buried in the back and the back hatch winda won't open from the out side so she hasta crawl over everythin inside to pop it -- spares good -- but FLAT [ of course ] anyways -- I git the spare on and air it up while I'm sizin up her situation -- I ask her if she kin afford to buy a tire at a tire store - since "donut" spares aren't ment for long term use - nope - she tells me she was on her way to sell plasma to git gas money -- gas guage needle's sittin near empty -- she hasn't enuf gas to git to my "roost" so's I kin *give* her a tire -- Well, I make my decision, and put in 4 gallons [ savin 1 for the possibility that I might encounter someone needin it while travelin back to the "Roost"and gave her directions to git there - while Patti's gittin her life's story, [ cept we never got her name ] I fitted a matchin tire from my take-off stock kept fer JIST this purpose and gave her some MacDonalds gift cards for food -- couple of "Pass it on" cards as well -- ya never know

then -- ON with the "loop" agin -- crossed the bridge several times in the course of crusin thru-out the afternoon -- no incidents *there* that day

encountered 4 other folks in different places w varyin situations 2 outta gas, and 2 w flat tires, that I was able to assist outta their difficulities -- always enjoy surprisin people

hey, whatta ya know, I'm not "down" anymores
    it is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that we cannot sincerely help another without helping ourselves in the bargain

[​IMG]
    Trickster Coyote strikes again
    Coyote -- "trickster" strikes agin As I turned around on the Sunrise Highway OC at the farthest point of my Eastern I-8 "search loop" I noticed a small white car at the end of the offramp in the dirt shoulder with a flat LF tire. Nobody around -- SOO I…
    SNOWCHAINS.TRIPOD.COM

6. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thomas Weller
    January 22, 2013 at 4:09pm ·
    anuther dead alternator - dead battery situation t-day @ the Second St to WB I-8 on ramp -- right at the END of the OR where everyone is lookin behind & to the left of em as they merge -- makes it REAL dangerous to be stopped there

I saw them as I was takin the EB offramp comin home from a "tour" out "playin" -- went around & under the OP and came out LIT UP & strobin so's I wouldn't git run over by the drivers jockeying behind me --

a small car was on the RS w the hood up and the driver trying to deploy onea these jump pacs himself -- NO luck, because yes, the car would start -- but then would immeadeatly die when he disconnected his jumper -- [ NO power left in his on board battery due to the dead alternator ]

didn't *have* my plug-in jump pac due to the last folks I loaned it to not keepin their word to return it soo on *his* promise to return -- I removed my GP75 DT battery from my LARGE booster, installed it in his vehicle, dropping his dead battery into my LARGE booster's case to more easily carry it home where I'll charge it up for him to retrieve when he gits his alternator replaced and comes by w *my* battery to return it

leastways --- that's how this is sposed to work -- let's hope he keeps his word I can't stand TOO many dissappointments finaniancly

1 Comment

Comments
    [​IMG]
    Thomas Weller
    didn't keep his word [​IMG]:( -- hadta purchase anuther battery mself -- that's 5 in the past year [​IMG]:( that's depressin but I cain't let it git me down --
    March 8, 2013 at 7:52pm ·

7. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

anuary 22, 2013 at 6:11am ·
    people THINK before you DRINK!

TWO encounters w DRUNK drivers t-day.

both female

first before I'd even left surface streets of El Cajon!

she ran a red light and woulda plowed inta my right side had I not braked and taken evasive action --- THEN -- she swerved from the right lane next to me [ just in front of me ] directly into MY lane -- causing me to hard brake and take evasive action aGIN!

TOLD her about it a the next red light! to her hand waving and smiling and making signs w her hands -- [ no, not the finger ] light changed, she took off, and I pulled inta the Pep Boys parkin lot where I was headed -- fella came up to me and said he saw the whole episode and couldn't believe I'd been able to avoid hittin her --

second one was a FREEWAY incident! transitiong rfrom I-5 NB to I-8 EB, an older Explorer came up behind me @ a high rate of speed on the transition -- I'm behind a car transport 18 wheeler that is transitioning @ a reasonable speed and I've got nowhere to go -- so I HIT my brakelites a coupla times -- NO effect on the oncomin vehicle -- then I LITE up w everything I have rearfacin! -- vehicle finally slows just a coupla feet off my back bumper -- continues to tailgate me to the I-8, where, as I signal and begin to move left the IDIOT floors it and nearly brushes my left side as she bulls past me, passin me on my left as I'm signalin and movin left, causin a vehicle next lane over to take evasive action as well some STUPID STUPID people out there t-day -- decided that the THIRD time [ if it happened ] might be my undoing-- so I reluctantly headed back to the ranch -- just got in -- feel like I'm agonna stay in resta the day - been lucky twice not going to push it.

[​IMG]
    DUI suspect kills I-8 pedestrian
    A 42-year-old Mexicali man died early Saturday when he was struck by a suspected drunken driver while standing next to his wife’s car on Interstate 8 near Lakeside, authorities said.
    UTSANDIEGO.COM

8. RacerJames

RacerJames

5 batteries at around 100.00 a pop? no wonder you can't afford to build an engine.
    I just don't understand these self absorbed individuals who get rescued and then don't make any effort to repay anyone. I guess they have their reward.

9. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

It's something I've learned to live with, tho it contributes to my being poor financially:oops: -- luckily, it's just a few, of the MANY times [ hundreds ] I've performed this service, that don't keep their promise to return. It's ON them o_O

I just figure I'm RICH w KARMA when I git to meet folks like you, both the Tims here, and SO many others that've helped to keep me "playin on the freeway" for so many years!

GOOD ONya!

thankee RacerJames :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Bruce Fischer and mctim64 like this.
  10. sweet sweet sound there.....thanks for pulling this together !

11. Another sweet sounding Y, but this ones just a bit more special...
    Nice work Tim.

12. Great work!! Sounds healthy!!

mctim64 and SanDiegoHighwayman like this.
  13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DOh my.That`s sweet.Thomas will have to be careful with that right foot now:rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

mctim64 and SanDiegoHighwayman like this.
  14. RacerJames

RacerJames

Sweet V-8 music I LOVE it! Well done Tim. :cool:
    Makes me glad I got to play.

mctim64 likes this.
  15. Nice job Tim. Bruce.

mctim64 likes this.
  16. Looking and sounding good! :)

mctim64 likes this.
  17. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

WOW... that just sounds BITCHIN!!!

GREAT to chat with both Tim and Thomas today! :)

mctim64 likes this.
  18. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

news about the engine comin soon I think :)

in the meantime ----
    Thomas Weller
    January 26, 2015 ·
    this mornin, I went to Harbor Freight -- was standin in line @ the cashier, when, in the door came a good lookin young gal -- lookin right AT me w her beautifull smile -- walked right up to me and asked "are you, by any chance, the highwayman?" [ the Merc was parked right outside the door w Shela doin guard duty ]

I allowed as to how "yes, I've been called that a time or two" [​IMG];)

She said I'd rescued her, out on the freeway one day, and she wanted to do sumthin for *me* whatever i was gittin there SHE wanted to pay for it!

Well, I was there this mornin because my well pump had siezed up yesterday and I'd *purchased* a new one yesterday before I'd realized that I still had an "extended warrantee on the seized one -- I'd used money for the pump that I'd planned to use for a NEW service jack for the Merc as my old one's saddle broke some months back and i've been usin it VERY carefully since so i don't git hurt or damage someone's vehicle if it should slip or fail w the broken saddle --

anyways

I was hopin to git the pump expenditure returned RE the warrantee -- after which, I'd be able to purchase the jack I've needed as well

littl lady inSISTED on purchasin it FOR me and did so! [​IMG]:)

Thankee kindly Liz!

store manager refunded the purchase price of the new pump I'd purchased yesterday per the extended warrantee [​IMG]:)

NOW -- I have my NEW well pump -- the NEW service jack I've been needin --- AND i have FUEL money I wasn't expectin TO have, so's I kin go out to "Play on the Freeway" MORE often this week!

Life is GOOD!

now to git to "reflectorizin" the new jack so it stands out in headlights like the old one did when I'm "playin" out there --

[​IMG]

Comments
    View 2 more comments
    [​IMG]
    Jaime Harrison-swaim
    awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    January 26, 2015 at 3:01pm · Like · 1
    [​IMG]
    Thomas Weller
    the NEW jack all tricked out w it's reflectorizin [​IMG]:)
    [​IMG]

Tim likes this.
  19. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thomas Weller
    January 26, 2013 ·
    simple trip to the bank this mornin got REAL excitin fer a few min on the WB I-8 to NB SR67 transition WHOA!

MC down!

[ more on this later after I calm down a mite ]

well, I'm back now after havin my breakfast & gittin my highspeed nerves backta normal --

came around the WB I-8 exit to NB SR 67 transistion and RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE [ on the RS ] encountered a "situation" where ther'ed been apparently a multi vehicle crash eariler, and there were still several vehicles on the massively torn up shoulder -- the vehicle closest to me as I LIT UP and came in for a landing behind it, was a lifted pickup w one of thos tonnuae covered beds and three fellas were attempting to lift a fairly large, crashed, MC up inta the bed to git it outta there -- [ remember this was a "lifted" pickup ] all the time vehicles are comin whizzin around the curvin transition -- heedless of the rainslick surface! I'm pretty "puckerd up" as I approach the fellas to lend my strength to theirs, to lift and position the bike on it's side in the bed of the truck so we kin "GIT OUTTA DODGE" posthaste!

The FOUR of us t-geather were enuf to make it and we got it settled in and I told the drivers to wait until they saw my high beams flash before "launching" I backed up a mite so's i could better see oncomin vehicles, and, when a break arrived punched it as I flashed my high beams and covered their launchn effectievly as they pulled out -- [ they couldn't "PUNCH IT" w-out losin the MC outta the back of the truck ] so I stayed behind em LIT until they could match the speed of oncomin vehicles - after which. I broke off and headed to my bank --

now, I didn't really HAVETA go to my bank this mornin -- but *sumthin* was pushin me to git OUT there - and I was JIST in time because of it

20. Tim has indeed relayed the engine to me and I'll be its caretaker until spring when the install will happen.
    Pics to follow, looks great. (Sure hope it doesn't jump into the engine bay of my 57 F100) :D

kiwijeff and SanDiegoHighwayman like this.
  21. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thomas Weller back a coupla years --
    January 27, 2013 at 1:31pm ·
    rainy day blues t-day -- decided to do some upgrading of my Merc's turn signals -- where I originally had small, incandecent bulb, amber, turn indicators on the front doors under my reaview mirrors -- I flush mounted LED "hideaway" strobes set to triple flash to match the rest of the signals -- front & rear -- that are LED as well.
    they now give me 180 degree indication to those beside, behind and ahead of me that I'm wishin to manuver -- this kin be right helpfull when needin to cross several lanes of traffic to GIT to a "situation" or keep one from happening

got the driver's side door compleated after some inital false starts and havin to figure out somea my wirin from 30 years ago

never intended fer *this* vehicle to be used in the fashion i'm usin her now since Beulah got kilt but --it's what I've got to use

think I'll wait a bit on doin the other door --- ITOFTS [I'm Too Old Fer This Shi --

22. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

It's been a struggle recently :(

Thomas Weller added 6 new photos.
    January 28, 2016 ·
    Workin on the Merc -- it's been dead for several months [​IMG]:( [ blown head gskt ] w my damaged shoulder, I've been unable to lift - repair it -- son came over to l...

See More
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    +2

23. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    kiwijeff, lbcd and Bruce Fischer like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Highway man, you didnsee the video he posted of it running right?

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  25. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

I have -- thank you Tim --

26. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

a few years back, July 24, 2008 Shela made the front page of the LA Times :D

27. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Right now, in our busy season -- YEA we HAVE one this year! --- w all three of my *iconic* "Ghostbusters" cars broke or nonfuntional --- I keep goin by rememberin how it usta be, and lookin forward TO spring!

THANKS to ALL here who HAVE, and ARE, participating in my dream of being ABLE to "Play on the Freeway" once agin, COME then. :)

I've been sharin some memories, that've helped keep my spirit aLIVE in the meantime --- I hope they are as entertainin to you fellas :rolleyes: as they are important to me :D

my FAVORITE memory of Phil's [​IMG];) [​IMG]:) Waxing nostalgic bout the birthplace of Phil's BarBQ on Goldfinch --http://www.philsbbq.net/about.html --
    When *I* discovered Phil's, it was because of publicity generated by the folks flocking to his establishment to partake of his delectibly delicious ribs!
    The original location was a shoebox of a tiny storefront, sandwiched in between an actual shoe repair business and a open air nighttime cinema showing classic films
    The crush of crowds was a problem for the Mission Hills neighborhood -- also the smoke was bothering his neighbors.
    Success was killing him w complaints -- the line of folks wishin to order often times reached aROUND the block and the traffic generated became a problem as well -- tiny dining area inside, and only several small tables outside on the sidewalk were ALWAYS filled w folks nackin on the ribs & chicken w folks often standin-waitin to sit --
    *We* [ wife and I ] developed a method to ease the madness for ourselves as we would call in our order -- and in the time it took to drive in from El Cajon, it would be ready as we arrived and the "take out" line was MUCH shorter!
    Due to the jammed inside tables, and the few outside always being packed as well, we took to bringing our OWN folding picnic table, which I would set up outside w a red tablecloth and a rose in a glass vase -- we sometimes brought friends in our distinctive old 56 Mercury Ambulance to partake of Phil's mouthwaterin joys w us, and one memorable time, we were priviledged to encounter an OPEN parkin spot diRECTLY in front of Phil's whereupon I deftly manuvered my treasured ambulance to the curb and set up our table to receive our anticipated repast while my wife and friends went in to pick it up,
    We're sittin, enjoyin our feast, when a fellow barbq lover approaches me w comments bout my Merc @ the curb -- he converses w me about it as we're finishing up, and remarks about it's uniqueness and condition --
    You should have SEEN his crestfallen look as I cleared & folded our table to stow in the rear of the ambulance :confused::oops:!
    Turned out, he was waiting-hoping to secure that table for *his* family who were waitin in line for their food -------
    I MISS the old - original location -- it was UNIQUE and required some expertise to enjoy properly
    Ah, the memories --------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

6-bangertim likes this.
  28. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thomas Weller
    January 29, 2012 at 6:48pm ·
    "played on the freeway" t-day

light traffic, NO incidents -- back & forth across the bridge and thru the park several times --

Shela got a romp @ the Dusty -- [ dogpark ]

back to cruisin, headed home, came across a stranded vehicle that I had to go "roundabout" 41/2 miles to git back to on a hunch --

Hunch payed off! Texas plated car w young mother & 4 little girls OOG on the EB SR94 shoulder JEO the 125 -

lookin scared of me as I walked up to ascertain the problem, but BIG smile of relief and THANKS as I got em goin!

Made my day as well [​IMG]:)

Special Ed likes this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

6-bangertim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.