Register now to get rid of these ads!

HIT n RUN *rant*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scooter, Jul 7, 2004.

1. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

My wife comes home the other day , tells me , somebody hit the mustang 1964 1/2 and scratched it .Looked like a typical hit n run parking lot scrape until i looked again in the daylight .The bumper was shoved about an inch and the rear pan was outta wack , the scrape is the size of a silver dollar .All this after a year ago my sisterINlaw smashed into it infront of her house in almost the same place causing 1,300 in damage .Sorry but i just hate people who wreck yer car and don't have the balls to leave a not or take care of the damage they cause .People like this is what the town square stocks and rotten fruit was made for .Its the lack of respect of others and thier stuff that gets me .Its not like anyone was hurt or killed , just my wallet ,AGAIN .I guess this is yet another example of the me world we live in and screw the other person .Its geting tough to keep yer stuff nice . [​IMG]

2. CptStickfigure

CptStickfigure
    from Urbana, IL

That sucks!
    I lose an outside mirror about once a year, but the damage is never too serious and it's covered by insurance. I'm always much more upset by the fact that nobody EVER leaves a note.

Not to hijack your post too much, but I just noticed you're in Phoenix.
    I went out there to visit a friend and saw more accidents in a week than I see in a year here. He told me Phoenix leads the nation in traffic deaths, but couldn't explain it. Are the streets laid out funny? Weird traffic laws? People just idiots?

3. I feel your pain...and not trying to defend the guilty party, but....they may not have realized they hit it [​IMG]

My Dad(age 70) and just had his first driving mishap---backed into a PT Cruiser that parked behind he and Mom at a yard sale. Mashed the left rear door and quarter dogleg--$1300 in damage. They both SWEAR they never heard or felt a thing(no, they're not deaf either [​IMG]) Didn't know anything happened till they saw people running down the driveway behind them waving their arms(!)

I know, it doesn't help your car.....it was just a thought/observation [​IMG]

4. Mike

Mike

Damn scooter, bad luck there with the Mustang. I guess it must be true, green cars are harder to see (especially if you're a moron). Chickenshit bastards.

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

[ QUOTE ]
    They both SWEAR they never heard or felt a thing

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence, but somebody that can't tell he just had a $1300 fender bender should not be driving...

6. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Anymore, you can walk up to a new car and shove it real hard, or kick it, and instant $$$$$$ damage. New cars are too fragile. You do that to one of our cars and you'll end up with a broken toe or cracked wrist. That's why we run old heavy tin, right?

Does suck that people don't have respect for older cars though. Idiots in my area pull out in front of me all the time, despite the fact that I could mangle their vehicle easily. Haven't figured out why yet, they don't do it to other cars coming, just me.

7. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

Seems poeple move to Arizona and all bad habits combine to one huge wreck here .The streets are layed out in blocks except for grand ave , thats on a diagonal .Phx has more red light running than anywhere else .In arizona if 3 people get to a stop sign at the same time , in the summer , who has the right of way???? The guy w/ his windows down cuz he has no airconditioning and will RAM you just to keep getting air flow .
    Yeah mike i think i need to paint her car neon green to be better seen .
    Also think if you can not feel your car scrapin and pushing in sheetmetal ,hitting another car so hard it moves a 60's steel bumper .Its time to hang- up the keys .And that bone head that just thinks of himself and not even leave a note , well karma will get cha .If it don't i will .What ever happened to respect , be kind to your fellow man or woman ? Now its oooh crap i smashed this old car , or took off this mirror , hurry leave nobody saw me .Like i said , its getting tough to be the caretakers of automotive history w/ our vintage tin w/ all the idiots out there .
    Be careful ya all .

8. haring

haring

I was out in San Diego for Christmas two years ago. While at Home Depot, I watched a truck back up into another truck, denting the tailgate. I warned them and yelled, but they just backed into it and took off.

I called the police and gave them all the info. I also left a note on the damaged truck. The owner called me and thanked me. His truck was only months old.

Because I reported it and told the owner, the police were able to find the other truck and impound it for past violations.

Hooray, I win.

I'm a force for good in the world. [​IMG]

9. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry to hear it Scooter. That is nothing but frustrating.

I've been ran into at least 3 times that I can remember. As in, sitting there, waiting for a spot in traffic to drive into and someone spacing out and smacking into the rear of my car, that does not even count the rear-enders in moving traffic. When I was a kid, my Dad loaned the neighbor lady our car and she hit our other car with the "loaned" car before she even got out of the driveway.

Don't even get me started on red light runners....

10. hankcash

hankcash

I would bet my life on it that it was some dipshit on a cell phone!

SUV + Cell phone + stupid asshole = SHIT!

HC

11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

[ QUOTE ]
    I would bet my life on it that it was some dipshit on a cell phone!

SUV + Cell phone + stupid asshole = SHIT!

HC

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot something; The "top agent real estate" magnet w/ picture on the sides of the SUV

12. It's happened to me too. That's why I was so surprised to find a note on my wiper one night after leaving my car in the Safeway parking lot to go partying with friends in their car.
    I pulled my red 64 'vette coupe to the end of the Safeway lot to keep it away from soccer moms and kids banging their doors against it. It was very close to the street and under a big streetlight.
    Came back from a night of debauchery with the boys to find the note under my wiper.
    "Dear sir....Sorry I hit your car. I have insurance to pay for the damage"
    Name and pnone number...
    It was a 16 year old kid driving his mom's Mazda 4 door...backed right into my front fender and popped a grapefruit-sized hole in it.
    Through skillful bartering, the kid's parent's insurance and the fact that there was only one corvette-repair-guy in town, I was able to throw in another $100 and get the color changed to a beautiful Black and have all my bumpers rechromed...
    I was just lucky, I know.

13. [ QUOTE ]
    Seems poeple move to Arizona and all bad habits combine to one huge wreck here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, same here in the most densely populated county in the South, Pinellas. We get a slight break in the summertime when the Ontarians go home.

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I've successfully chased down three hit and run drivers.

When I was 19 a guy hit me and never slowed down. I was able to get turned around and chase him a good ten blocks before pulling a Starski & Hutch slide in front of him. He just looked at me in disbelief and dropped it into reverse, backed up an entire block, and drove away. I couldn't chase him anymore - my car was destroyed. The cops arrested him within two hours and Ralph Gregory still owes me $1300.

Second one pulled over after hitting me and got really nervous when I asked for DL and insurance. She jetted when a passer by called the Police. I chased her close to a mile before we passed a Police car and she got busted. That was in 1998 and I just got my final payment for damages last week. She was fifteen when she hit me.

Last one rear ended a car in front of me in the rain. This was a few moths ago. I instantly saw reverse lights and him sawing at the wheel so I knew he was going to run. I chased him three blocks before I had his plate number to give to the victim.

They can't escape me.

15. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I had a rather unnexpected experiance about a year ago...

I was driving to work in my slightly raised f150 ('95, paid-off, good insurance) in the rain. In fullerton, I entered an intersection on the green light at normal speed for that street. Halfway through the intersection, a lady pulled out right in front of me. I slammed on the breaks and thought I might be able to avoid the accident if she would speed up, but she didn't. I creamed the back of her car. I litterally had about a second and about 15 feet to try to avoid her. I saw pieces of plastic fly up and over my hood. I really hit her...

So I immediately pull over. She stops for a second but then slowly rolls away. I think she is just trying to get out of traffic so I start up and follow her. She turns down a side street and floors it. I follow her but she stays a block in front of me so I figure, fuck it and pull into a parking lot to check the damage to my car. As I pull in I see a Volvo take off after the lady that I hit.

I get out and see nothing major wrong with my truck. My bumper hit her solid. It didn't budge and there was no damage to the surrounding metal. The chrome was still perfect even.

So I'm about to get back in my truck when the same Volvo I saw before, pulls in beside me. The lady jumps out all excited and tells me "I chased her down and got her plate number! I saw the whole thing she pulled right out in front of you! You had no chance to avoid her! She probably had no insurance... I LOVE playing cop!" She gave me her info and the plate number of the lady I hit and left.

You have any relatives in Cal Grim? [​IMG]

16. Day after Xmas, 2003.Driving my hot-rodded 1957 VW sunroof (sorry about the OT content, but that's the kind of car it is).
    Stopped at an intersection, left turn signal on, waiting for cross traffic to clear, so I can make a (duh) left turn, and
    WHAM
    I get knocked out into the intersection.
    I shut the car off, get out, and see a young Hispanic kind in a mid / late 80's Aerostar.
    I look at the damage, and he came THIS DAMN close to hitting an original all metal convertible W decklid (I know, doesn't mean a thing to you guys, but that's a grand, in primer, for a good one).
    As I get back to the kid's window, I muttered (and I know what I said) "kid, you're lucky you're going to live ,ong enough to vote".
    He hands me his driver's license, and registration, and, as I head back to my car to get a pen to coipy everything down, he pulls a neutral drop and does the John Force one tire fire on past me, and out onto the main thouroughfare, as fast as that Aerostar will go.
    I jump in the 57, fire it up, hit "911" on the cell phone, and proceed to give chase. he PD is aking me to pull over, cause they can't hear me over the pop-pop-pop of the rev limiter and the Magnaflow muffler, and I am yelling which way I am going. Fortunately, a motorcycle officer about a mile ahead sees this kid haulin' ass in an Aerostar (if you can actually do that)and pulls him over. I show up about 20-30 seconds later, and the kid starts yelling that I threatened to kill him, and that's why he did the hit and run deal. The Officer listens to my side of the story, and says that since I am in possession of the kids Driver's License and registration of the car, that he is going to side with the kid. I tried to explain to the Officer EXACTLY what I muttered, and that this was in no way a threat, just an observation that he was lucky I didn't yank him out of the car and turn him into the pavement right then and there, and the Officer said yeah, I can see that, but when big bad ol' you gets to court, and the kid shows up with Mommy saying he's such a good kid and he's never been in trouble, etc etc. I basically don't stand a chance, especially when the kid begins to tell his lie about what I said, and it would be his word against mine. It sucks, but the kid got away with it, no damages awarded, no nothing, and he is still driving Mommy's Aerostar, I still see him from time to time.But I know when his 18th Birthday is....

17. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

Jeezs guys ya all sound like cut scenes frome bullit and the french conection out there w/ a bit of vintage gone in 60 seconds thrown in . Be careful when giving chase like that , here is why .I know a guy who has a 50 merc it was done , and done very nice at that .He was going through an intersection when he gets T-boned by 3 mexicans in a late model w/ dark tinted windows .He undoes the seatbelts pops outta the merc and says what the hell? The drivers door opens as he appoaches the other car and this mexican pops out w/ a very large GUN .Well the merc driver says dude its not worth this , drops his cell and slowly walks backwards to his now wrecked classic .The guy rolls down the window ,smoke and steam pour from the car and he peels out leaving.The merc driver picks up his cell and calls it in to the cops , they catch them at a gas station 2 blocks away .All have warrents and 5 guns and drugs were found in the car .BE CAREFUL !
    Guess, my wife was lucky in a way to only have the parking lot moron not the gun wielding , driving on the road moron .

18. I'm not saying what I did was prudent, or wise, or anything like that. It was stupid, unthinking, and completely idiotic, for the reasons you mentioned above. I knew he was a sub-18 y.o. kid, but that didn't mean he didn't have Daddy's 357 Mag under the seat cushion. It was the heat of the moment, some jerkoff sonofabitch waste- of- perfectly- good- breathing- air kid ass-ended my car (Yes, it was a VW, but believe me, we can pour just as much time, money, blood, sweat and tears into as you guys do with your "real" cars) and I was PISSED, just as any of you would have been. But, in the final analysis, you're right, it would be hard to manage the repairs on the car if I'm dead from a gunshot or knife wound.
    P.S. The car was repaired, and a month later ran a street-tired, naturally aspirated, all seats and glass in, 13.85@102 at Carlsbad Raceway, so it ended up okay [​IMG]

19. my girls car has been hit and run 3 times in the two years that we've been together. worst one was $6800. i had too wake her tell her and go to work. later that day she found out her mom had camcer. it could be worse.

20. purple

purple

<font color="purple"> My turn my turn

My long time buddy had his Daily driver 66 Volvo P1800 totalled 3 months ago.The woman hit it and pushed it into the SUV in front of him, then continued onto the freeway ramp she was aiming for. The woman in the turn lane she cut off followed her and got her plate and a discription. The good samariton(sp?) is a cops wife. Also one of the witnesses was related to a cop. The police department however has been slow to ignorant about it. Since he wasn't hurt, they do not hunt down and arrest. They looked up the registered owner, she traded the car to the dealership, who sold it to the auction yard, who sold it to the current owner. after 2 weeks, the PD sent a registered letter to the current owner requesting them to contact the officer with 30 days. Well, a man called and claimed it was him, he is the lady's ex husband. Even though she is the owner, he claimed she bought it for him and only he drives it. He called and talked to the officer many times, and the story of his accident changes every time, he also asked many questions about the details, stuff he should know if he was the hitter. He had told her insurance company that they had been hit in a parking lot, saying they were the victims! The car had been fixed already, oh, and my friend had never been contacted with this info, so he went down and was told nothing was available. He went back 3 weeks later, and was told it had been available for 4 weeks. So, my buddy finally got the info, called thier insurance company and will get paid. Get this, the day Larry got the report, the guy DIES! He knew he was a goner, so he tried to take the blame for the ex wife. Like I said, 3 months and Larry is finally going to get a check. He is keeping the car, since he needs the parts for the other 2 P1800s and his 123GT. He is lucky he has other cars to drive. His wifes newer Merc, his 56 F100 longbed, his Volvo 122. Glad it wasn't his Concourse winning 51 Jag XK120. </font>

21. I had a 53 Jak XK-120 Roadster when I was in the Air Force, stationed at March AFB in Riverside, CA. As soon as the 6 cylinder went south (and the way I drove it, it didn't take long) I absconded with my dad's wrecked '67 Cougar XR-7 (335 horse 390, T-10, 9 inch rear) and stuffed that into it. Fit okay, once I decided the inner fender panels were superfluous, in the way, and not needed... Kinda made for a poor man's Cobra, lightweight aluminum bodied English sports car, with American cast-iron V-8 muscle.. didn't handle for shit, but went like a striped assed ape..Ended up selling it to guy in Lake Elsinore when I got shipped overseas..

22. purple

purple

<font color="purple"> This is his 3rd. He bought it as a beater daily driver in 66 for $600. His second one had a HEMI! he got that cheap too, the guy who put it in couldn't figure out the starter and got fed up. Took him as his cohort an hour to fix. A hemi mates to the motor mounts, used the hemi starter and flywheel, and the jag clutch and tranny. I don't know about the motor to tranny adapter. He said when he got it going, he tried to drive it, it was noisy and smokey and didn't move down the street fast. His buddy came yelling after him to look behind. A black streak the whole way from start to stop. Rubber it was, not texas tea. </font>

23. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

My new acura got the bumper treatment from some fuck...

two words: $100 deductable...

Some fucker also backed into that caddy I had, it was so low his bumper messed up the grill and the hood molding. No comp on that one, my only satisfaction was knowing my hood molding punched a nice twat-shaped hole is the fucker's plastic bumper, there were plastic crumbs all over the place.

24. my sis just move to Phoenix, yup go in a fender bender, too! after a week

25. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

[ QUOTE ]
    In arizona if 3 people get to a stop sign at the same time , in the summer , who has the right of way???? The guy w/ his windows down cuz he has no airconditioning and will RAM you just to keep getting air flow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody ever lets ME go!

That sucks about the 'stang. This is why we can't have nice things.