Register now to get rid of these ads!

History History of this '34 Terraplane Hot Rod - Help Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StillOutThere, Sep 28, 2009.

1. thread removal requested

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Sorry I can't help, but that is a beautiful car! Nicely done, like the dash treatment. Good Luck. Perley

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yo, OutThere do you happen to know a couple of just GENERAL specs about the original engine & tranny? I know Hudsonator and osme other HET guys really consider these the "Hudson Hornets" of the early '30s!

4. Jimi, It was really the '33 Terraplane 8 cylinder that was HOT because it was shorter, smaller and lighter and had a revised version of the Hudson 8 cylinder. Those cars, as mentioned in that big multi-page 308 Hornet engine thread we did a month ago won many hill climbs and road races and were favored by John Dillinger for bank robbing when he could find one to "borrow" for doing the job. Because the '33s were so light even the six cylinders won their share of events.

The '34 Terraplanes were ALL 6 cylinder cars of 212 cu. in.displacement from 3" bore and 5" stroke and this is a full splash oiler (no pressure) system for both rods and mains. They were rated 80 HP at 6.25:1 compression. There was a composite high compression 2-piece cylinder head raising compression to 7.0:1 which gave 85 HP. Model K and KS rode on a 112" wheelbase. Model KU was on a 116" wb There were a few Terraplanes that went out and competed in '34 but they were nowhere near as successful as the '33 models had been. They did win some economy events though.

The transmission was a truly tiny three speed manual box that had to fit into the narrow X-member reinforced frame. Hudson Motors had been studying how the English built cars and they noted that very compact transmission cases were very durable in part because they were so compact and they applied the principle to their early '30s Hudsons and Terraplanes. I've owned a couple of these cars and despite their miniscule size, they do NOT fail even behind the 8 cylinder cars.

A standard '34 Terraplane coupe weighed 2590 lbs and the convertible coupe body style added about fifty lbs. A 2 pass. coupe cost about $565 new and the convertible about $695. Yeah, its too late to place an order!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

BTT for some of the Nova Scotia guys on here!

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

OutThere, YUP! GRRRRREAT facts and details on what made those earl Terraplanes hot. THANKS for taking the time, bro. And, YEAH, wasn't that a great HET thread last month? There's a WEALTH of info and enthusiasm in that. Hudson always took pride in ALL of their products.

By the way, I know early motors got their power moreso by stroke than by revs (like post-'48s). BUT, I was wondering about that Hudson/Terraplane 8. Did they use babbitt bearings?

7. thread removal requested

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Good POINT about those screens, OutThere! Good catch on me, too, I should have said torque not hp on those early poured-bearing jobs, man. Thanks!

9. btt - still hoping someone remembers who built this car.

Now know it has a Volare front suspension if that jogs any memories.

10. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

ive never seen that car, but i will copy the pix and ask around my part of NS and friends.

11. btt for the Sunday night readers

12. very cool ride. terraplanes rock.