Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs History of the Custom display ~ GNRS ~ OFFICIAL thread info & photo's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Thanks to you, your friend , Piero and the others for the help. It was greatly appreciated. I owe you all .

Oh by the way. If your legs are sore after that you need to start chasing more women. You know ,,,,to build stamina :D:D:D

2. hahaha thats a great idea. You dont owe us anything, it was an honor to help.

3. Wow what a show building 9 was.I just want to say thanks to Axle and John Buck for asking me to be involved in the planning of this unforgetable show.It was a lot of hard work and late nights and stressful at the end but well worth it when the show started.I couldn't believe the place was packed 30mins after opening on friday and it never let up.It really is crazy how it just came and went so quick for me.I tried to savor it and soak it all up as much as I could but I couldnt stop the clock and the weekend flew by.I felt like I was Kevin Costner in the movie "Field Of Dreams" and all those old customs were like the old baseball players in the movie.This was a great experience from the first day I was asked until sunday night when I got home. Thanks again guys and thanks to the Hambers who have been writing their appreciation it is great to hear positive feedback about the Custom building.

4. Thanks Pops.

It was the HAMB's idea.
    Axle got us the permission.
    Per Webb in Sweden got us the permission from the artist Allan Bergman of Sweden to use his artwork similar to the Metranga Merc.
    Luke and I noodled out the rest of the design incorporating Rik Hoving's original Customs Then and Now artwork (thanks again Rik).
    My foundry did me a BIG favor getting them done in time and we took most of them there in our luggage (thanks Southwest:rolleyes:)
    And TSA inspected them all; so if you got one you can rest easy!

BTW, The HAMB was the only place that these plaques were pre-announced and we held quite a few plaques for the HAMBers who wanted to reserve them. Unfortunately (or fortunately for those who missed out) some were not purchased at the show and we brought them home. If you still want one, e-mail me at [email protected] and we'll hook you up.

Thanks again to Axle and the guys who put this together!

Dennis & Sue

PS We're only talking about the "spectator's" plaque here. The one's that went to the participants were all shipped to John Buck to be distributed to the 83 car owners and his staff like Axle, Rik, Luke, Jeff, etc.

5. The show was incredible! Thanks to all involved!

6. Dennis thanks to you and Sue for letting us stash our jackets behind your booth. It was awful hot on saturday.

7. No problem. Nice meeting you and your clubmates.

Dennis

8. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Just read the full thread. Now, it seems, I need to find the pic threads and get a couple of books on Kustoms to start researching some history. Any suggestions?

9. torchmen49

torchmen49

What an incredible display! When we finaly arrived at the Fairgrounds on Wednesday afternoon, it really started to sink in, we were here, and this was going to be a the show of a lifetime! Rolling into building #9 on Wednesday night, passing by the Hirohata Merc on route to my spot was something I'll never forget! I met so many great people, and got to say hello to many of my friends who attended from all over. Axle, Luke, Rik, Jeff, thank you all for puting this event together, it truely was an honor to be be part of this. This one will go down in the history books for sure! - Dave

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  10. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Custom Cars of the 1950's by Andy Southard and Tony Thacker

Custom cars of the 1960's by Andy Southard...both 98% California (the good stuff). Publisher Motorbooks.

Anything by Barris is good too.

11. dw123

dw123

Well we've just got back to London tonight, still blown away by the weekend! Huge thanks and congratulations to everyone involved, nice to see Rocco,Max,and Emmeline, hope the 'flake from Gambino's works, and so cool to see Aaron and Jonny in the HOB! Now it's back to reality....!

12. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

We made back into Boston yesterday afternoon and came home to way-to-much snow.

We had a BLAST. THANK YOU Axle, Rik, John, and every one else involved in making this happen. It was, without a doubt, the best car show I have ever gone to in my entire life. And I am not kidding. It was indeed historical.

We were personally honored that we were invited to be part of this. Arthur Bentas had a total blast. At a young 87, he is seen in these pictures riding shotgun with his younger brother Chuck (85) is behind the wheel.

Arthur had the pleasure of talking with so many west coast builders that he met a half a century ago in Detroit, or was well aware of. Seeing Arthur sitting with Gene Winfield on one side and Dean Jeffries on his other side signing autographs was awesome.

My family had a blast and again we thank all that made this happen.

Joe

Attached Files:

13. rodncustom

rodncustom

What happened to the Sam Barris Merc?

14. The owner did not to bring it to the show,he said its show days are finished and all he wants to do now is drive it.

15. lazyv8

lazyv8

and he has been...

16. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My wife actually asked me the same thing and she 's not into cars.She said where's the green merc with the cutout of a guy?

17. Mobart

Mobart

Man, me and my dad had a great time! What a show!!
    Thanks to everybody involved, it was well worth the trip!!:cool:

18. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Was this car there? Don't remember seeing any photos of it in the after show threads.

19. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Yes it was there and big mistake that I did not get a photo of it. Same aisle as the red Mc Cormick Cad, I believe. One of my favorite customs from the late 50's. Style and good taste.

20. RodP

RodP

My pictures are not very good but here is what I have of it. I attended the show with Don Kendall who used to own the "Night Train". He was driving it when I met him in the seventies. The Hudson was the first car we looked for in the Custom Display. I am sure someone has better pictures.
    RodP

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

22. sr

sr
    from Monterey

The greatest show of all time! Thanks for the memories!

23. rawkie

rawkie

Here is a shot of the Mark Morton 1954 Mercury i took on sunday.

Attached Files:

24. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Absolutely one of the cleanest and most tasteful kustoms to come down the pike in a long time. Top of my list of favs.

25. I agree, it was very very clean and classy.

26. You wouldn't expect anything less from Mr. HOP UP, would you?
    Ron

27. rawkie

rawkie

Thats is one fine mercury!!!

28. koolkat

koolkat
    from Merced CA

Several HAMBers have asked for more coverage on the 2011 GNRS with good size photos, so I am posting it here so those interested can think about acquiring it. Sorry if you consider it being posted in the 'wrong place', but I felt this was appropriate so it wouldn't be missed.

Here is my magazine the '2011 Roadster Show'. It is a quality FULL COLOR, full size PRINTED 'perfect bound (glued pages) magazine with THICK paper. Those that have gotten my other magazines (Kustom & Hot Rod Models) can attest to the quality.

http://www.magcloud.com/browse/Issue/163016

This is a pictorial coverage of the 2011 Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona, California, concentrating on the "Customs - Then and Now - A historical journey'" display.

Regular price on this publication is $19.95, however until the end of March, the introductory price is $16.50. In April, this publication goes back to regular issue price. Of course, shipping is additional.

You can click on the cover to see a preview of the entire magazine to see if you like it enough to get it. If it doesn't work, it's because your web browser is not updated with all security fixes.

Again, apologies to those that may feel this thread was an inappropriate location for this posting.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  29. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awesome car!!!

Via TJJ on iPhone

30. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Those pics are from the show in question. I agree, very cool car. Could live without the name on the front fenders, but it leaves a lasting impression.