Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs History of the Custom display ~ GNRS ~ OFFICIAL thread info & photo's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Oct 1, 2010.

1. I walked through the custom building during set up yesterday. Holy Sh*t! I stood next to the Pisano/Bertolucci Buick and the Westergard Caddy that Kurt McCormick brought. It was like meeting a rock star. This building will take more than a couple of trips through to properly absorb.

Axel and Rik have truly done a good thing. I can't thank them enough for this. These are good days to be a custom car geek. See you fellas at the show, later today.

Chili Phil

2. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I thought the Merc Gathering a couple of years ago was awesome and I didn't think anything else could top it.I was wrong,this did.The variety of customs was great.Thank you Axle,Rik,Jeff and anyone else who was involved in this historic display.

3. Wow, what an amazing thing to see in person. Anyone who is at gnrs, I'm the 6' 4' moonshiner with the permanent grin. Come say hello.

Thank you everyone the put this together!

4. Mo$4Ford

Mo$4Ford

Buddy Alcorn's Barris Built Merc. This Is The Merc I Love! Some Pics Of The Kustoms.

Attached Files:

5. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Thanks to guys like Axle,Luke,Jeff,Rik,this is the most amazing gathering of Kustoms in one place.Would like to thank all who posted pics for those of us that couldn't make it out there.

To see all of the cars that were in the "Little Magazines",just come to life.All of the famous Barris cars.The Pisano/Ogden/Mazza 41 Buick,Westergards 47 Caddy,all of Watsons cars,its just amazing.

Cant wait to see more pics.I'll be glued to the HAMB..............

6. Rikster

Rikster

Wow... It was fantastic to be able to be part of organazing this event, but being able to walk around all these fantastic Custom Cars in the building all day long, and talk to all the builder, and caretakers of the cars, is just so FANTASTIC, and absolutely overwelming!
    I have been walking around since Wednesday morning and have absolutely no feet anymore, but the excitement will keep me walking around the building for the rest of the weekend for sure.

It was really fantastic to meet many of my custom car friends that i have been communicating with for many years. People like Barry Mazza, Kurt McCormick, Spence Murray, Dave Croock, Lee Pratt, Gary Meadors, Joe Moreno, Steve, and George Molory, and many, many more. And to see old friends like Jim McNiel, Bill Worden, Bill Johnson, Pat Ganahl, Paul Bragg and many more... And to see them all have the time of their live.

And the weekend still has to start...so there will be so much more to eperience.
    Today, saturday will be another great day with the hall of fame lunch,a and the meet and greet with thoe famous custom car builders.

Thanks for all the great comment, the dream team is really happy everybody is having a great time in the Customs then and Now building....

I wish I could post some photos, but this ipad does not alow me to upload my phots. I will try to get some of my many photos on here when I get back home on Thursday.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  7. Thanks, Rik. I hope to meet you this weekend. Alex is probably tired of me, telling him thanks, again, for this show. You boys done real good.

8. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

I just got home from the show and all I can say is "incredibley awesome event!" The team that put this together are the best! I can't wait to see Rik's pics. I took minimal knowing there would be much better quality coming soon. Thanx and kudos to all that helped this come about, and especially to all those that brought the cars to this event. I know it had to be expensive and probably trying and tiring. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

9. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

what a good time, Axle, Rik, and John Buck thanks what will they do next year to top this?

10. cole

cole

Never asked or contacted, sorry.

11. jasone

jasone

the '36 was there, just not in the History display.

12. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Back to Missouri late last night (and some sh*%@y weather!) What an awesome display of customs! Thanks to all who worked to assemble them in one place. I've always been more of a hot rod kind of person, but after this weekend, I appreciate customs just a little more. Thanks again.

13. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication. Truly inspiring. Slim

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I heard since it's the 80 year of the '32 there will be 80 1932 Fords in the building.

You're car looked bitchen Cole. Came back to it a couple of times thinking I might catch ya there to say hi. Sorry I missed ya.:cool:

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That will be so exciting for 80 people! ;)

I had a really great time, thank you to Axle and Rikster and everyone else that worked so hard to put it together. It was an amazing event and I'm glad I didn't miss it.

16. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Axle... thank you for all your hard work and energy putting this together....absolutely amazing group of cars...

17. bob-o

bob-o

Thanks to everyone who made the "Customs: Then and Now" building happen. Granted, I'm only 27, but there were about a dozen cars in there that have been favorites of mine since I was a wee one. None of which I'd seen in person before. Along with the Watson display Roger O'Dell and John Denich put together, it was an awe inspiring sight to behold. Truly brought a tear to my eye. Several times. Again, many thanks to Axel, Rik and everyone one else who made that once in a lifetime gathering a reality for me and every other custom geek in attendance. I saw many a teary eye in that building.

18. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

ya thanks for making the building the best at the show

19. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Axle..thanks for the hard work on putting this on...the Custom building was waaayyy bitchen!!

20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Bought one of the O'Brian plaques honoring the event. A nice touch.

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Alex, ya did good, you too Rik.

22. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

80 32 fords, nothing to sneez at..... BUT, the building with the la roadsters display , was NEVER packed to the gills bustin open at the seems like the kusoms bldg was every time I was in there, maybe just a clue and key point I might try to keep in mind when trying to draw a crowd.

23. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Thanks a ton to Axel, Rik, Luke & Dennis, I was blown away by that building. In all of the years I have been coming out there starting when it was in it's last years in the Oakland Colisuem (sp) this was the crowning glory.

Now it's time to take a year or two off and get some work done during the winter.

I too bought a plaque and thank to Dennis and whoever thought of that idea.

Bet you can't ever top this with customs Axel !!!!

B:)B

24. :D Thank you guys again for doing a great job.Best custom show I have ever seen.

25. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Special thanks to Axle and Jeff (It was great meeting you guys) as well as the famous Rikster for this amazing experience. Thanks guys.

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yep,... and the gas cap has to either lock or be taped on,.. and a minimal amount of gas in the car.

27. rustythumb

rustythumb

could someone tell me what building the L.A. roadster display was in? i looked for it but couldn't find it! same problem last year looking for the rod & custom cover cars. thanks.

28. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

It was building 3, if you went left when you left the north entrance of building 4 you would have found it.

B:)B

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great job, guys. Thanks!!

30. Thank so much for everything you guys did. This was a life changing experience for me, and an honor to me to the people we did. Rik thanks for taking the time to talk to me in the middle of it all. Hopefully no one got annoyed by anyone of our "overly overwhelmed" club members, sorry If so. It was also a real pleasure to watch several of the cars leave Building 9, as well as help "move" the Overman 52 Lincoln down to its trailer. My legs are still sore.