Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. FallsCity48

FallsCity48
    from Nashville

BigJohn thanks to you & your great ARCA photos, I'm reliving a lot of memories
    from the Past !!
    Chargin' Charlie .......... Great car !! Great driver !!
    John this could be a future build but I believe the '64 Bel Air body style is going to tough to find in plastic. Graphics on the car would be simple! I keep you posted my friend. Thanks for the references.

2. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

OK, FallsCity48. I used to drink some of that stuff, when the brewery was still operating. Is that Charlie Binkley in your avatar?

3. FallsCity48

FallsCity48
    from Nashville

Nah! that guy in the avatar used to be old Charlie's worst nightmare at Nashville on Saturday night ;)

4. Falconred

Falconred

A couple of Fulmer Lance in the pOOls car:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Falconred

Falconred

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Falls City, I can't see him that well. Is it DW?

7. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

<TABLE class=news cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=ss-dialog-header>7th Annual ARCA Toledo and Flat Rock Speedway's Racer’s Reunion at Toledo Speedway Bar & Grill Saturday, March 13....</TD></TR><TR><TD>TOLEDO OH - Please join us for the 7th annual Racer's Reunion at the Toledo Speedway Bar & Grill Saturday March 13. The Racer's Reunion has become an enjoyable day of reminiscing with current and former racers, bench racing and looking through photo collections and watching vintage video. Bring your photo books! This year the event will again be followed by the Michigan Auto Racing Fan Club meeting at 6:30 p.m. The MARFC meeting will feature news updates on Flat Rock and Toledo Speedways, interviews with current drivers, and the club's traditional raffle with numerous prizes.
    The date also marks the Grand Re-Opening of the Toledo Speedway Bar & Grill, featuring renovations, Ohio Lottery Keno, new staff, and live music after the MARFC meeting.
    The Racer's Reunion features thousands of photos on display documenting a wide variety of racing tracks, divisions and touring series. ARCA, Flat Rock Speedway and Toledo Speedway and all the divisions which raced at both tracks will be represented with photo displays from 1953-current, as well as 1940s-1980s midwest open wheel and stock cars, 1960s-1980s Toledo & Flat Rock late models and figure-8s, 1960s-current midgets, USAC Sprints and open wheel and others. In addition, vintage video from yesteryear will be available for viewing.
    Among the more than 350 former racers who have attended the annual Racer's Reunion at the Toledo Speedway Bar & Grill include Ray Alexander, Dempsey Apperson, Steve Asztalos, Bad Jess Austin, Johnny Auxter, Cliff Bailey, Joe Barham, Pee Wee Barron, Bob Baumgartner, Mike Beals, Mike Bolick, Reed Bolick Jr., Art Braithwaite, John Briggs, Bill Brown, Steve Bunge, JR Bunting, Karl Busson, Bob Carnes, Chuck Carroll, Ellery Cherry, Darrell Childress, Paul Clark, Jim & Carol Clarke, Jack Conely, Harold Cook, Steve Cronenwett, Don Daum , Tom Davidson, Herman Domine, Suzie Drager, Dick & Fran Duff, Bob Durell, Ron Ely, Hugh Fair, Joy Fair, Cy Fairchild, Bob Flagg, Terry Fitzwater, Bill Forney, George Fosco, Jack Franzil, Bob Frederick, Don Friend, Sam Gambino, Bob Gillelan, Mel Gillette, Paul Gontarski, Shirley Gravelle, Tony Gullatta, Ed Hage, Chuck Hall, Fran Harden, Don Harrell, Cliff Harris, Pat Haywood, Les Heikkila, Denny Hudock, Dick Huston, Jeep Iacobucci, Gus Iacozoli, Craig Jackson, Len Jaynes, Bill Jones, Dave and Joe Koester, Bob Knight, Charlie Krall, Wayne Landon, Mick Laskey, Gary and Steve Lindahl, Bill Litogot, Johnny Logan, Frank Loving, Art Lutz, Randy Mapus, Mildred Marcum, Dick Martin, Keith & Betty McCall, Denny and Jack McNutt, Jerry Middleton, Dave Miller, Ron Miller, Barney Mohler, Jay Nagy, Wild Bill and John Naida, Gary and Wally Navarre Jr., Keith Nelson, Jerry Nemire, Brian Norton, Eugene Okopski, Charlie Orns, Jerry Perry, Wally Peterson, Bryan Phillips, Rich Pilatowski, Bill Radiger, Bob Rae, Benny Rapp, John Riddle, Boots Ruhland, Bill Schneider, Mark Sharrard, Billy Simmons, Ben Snider, AJ Stallsworth, Al Stamnitz, Dave Steingass, Paul Strasser, Bob Studt, Jerry Terry, Bob and Bobby Thomsen, Ed Todd, Paul Utcai, Chuck Wilson, Jack Wyman, Randy Wynne, Jim Young, Ralph Young, Ken Zeiter and many others. We'd be glad to have you join us as well.
    There is no admission charge and the Toledo Speedway Bar & Grill will be in full operation for your food & drink needs. The Bar & Grill is located on the Toledo Speedway grounds at 5639 Benore Road. Take I-75 to the Alexis Road exit at the Michigan-Ohio state line (419) 729-9182. If you have further questions prior to the date of the Racer's Reunion, call the Toledo Speedway track office at 419-727-1100.
    Also, please note the dates for the 2010 Racer's Reunions at Toledo Speedway (Friday May 7) and Flat Rock Speedway (Saturday May 8).

http://www.arcaracing.com/news_flatrock.php
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

8. FallsCity48

FallsCity48
    from Nashville

John that him .... younger version ...... circa 1973.

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have not made it through the entire thread yet, John, so don't know if this has been posted. Sure am enjoying the ride, thanks to all involved!

[​IMG]
    What nut thought this up? Train racing consisted of three cars chained together. The front was the locomotive<WBR>. The middle was a dummy car with no engine or driver and the rear car had no engine, only a steered caboose. AND they ran on the figure-8 track!

10. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.

Here is some shots from daytona of 67.
    Mario Andretti won this one.
    my family bought Bob Derrington of houston tx. car and bob drove it for a few races then George "ironhead" England took over when bob got sick in altanta.
    the car 65 chevy with 427 car #51 Martinizing special F&H Racing
    We started in the back after a broken valve spring in the 250.
    Charles Faulkner

p.s. go to racing-reference.com for all results.

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Not too long back we had a question about where the Fairgrounds Motor Speedway was located on the fairgrounds property. Here's an aerial. The baseball field is now Papa John's Cardinal Stadium...

[​IMG]

12. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

The start of a late model heat race at FMS. Jesse Baird in the Dodge on the outside, John Sommerville in the Chevelle.

[​IMG]

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

FMS late model action from 1964...

[​IMG]

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Another shot with Sommerville. That's Tommy Spaugh in the Mustang on the outside...

[​IMG]

15. SWIGJ

SWIGJ
    from JASPER GA

Anybody going to the Athens Georgia Speedway Reunion this Saturday?

16. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

Do any of you MARC/ARCA old timers or 2nd/3rd generation guys have MARC action pictures from the mid-50’s of the heroes of my youth: Especially Farmer Jack Harrison, Hershel White, Iggy Katona, or other hot dogs of the period? Although I attended many MARC races in the mid-50’s, I have only been able to glean a few pictures, such as Pat Kirkwood, Mike Klapak, and the Chrysler 300 tossing the driver at the Michigan Fairgrounds 1956 Race, won by USAC driver Rutman. That day I was a 17 year old working in the pits for local Ford Dealer, Ray North Ford entry. I have a later picture of Darrel Derringer, but none from his MARC days. Dave Lyall, Livonia, Michigan

17. EEZI

EEZI

What a happy bunch ! From the clothes, it looks like about 1974. But for the life of me, I can't recognize the guy on the right front.

18. Skrayp

Skrayp

John, what can you tell me about people calling Jack "Mr.Ford"? I always heard he hated that name. He never was much for gimmicks. Can you remember how/when it started or how long it lasted? Or was it even that big of a deal?

19. Winston Cup Museum

Winston Cup Museum

That would be Jimmy Donoho. from photo #2793

20. Racingphotoguy

Racingphotoguy
    from Wisconsin

I love the gold drapes behind them!

21. butch27

butch27

Thanks for the Mich. Fairgrounds pics.

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Skrayp, to tell you the truth, I only heard people refer to him that way once or twice, never heard anybody call him that to his face. Maybe this was after he let everybody know he didn't care for it. He was very proud of his own individual ability and talent, and had a right to be. I really liked him and admired him, even when he was beating the socks off everybody else. One of my favorite memories of working with Glotzbach was taking Billy Clemons' 1964 Ford to Lawrenceburg, Ind. for an ARCA race and beating Bowsher with it. Funny you should mention him. I plan to make him the subject of my "Driven to the Past" column on Frontstretch.com this Friday. Plug, plug, plug. LOL.

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Here's a photo of a car taken at the ASA race at Milwaukee in 1981. Somebody asked me to identify it. I can't. I'm sure this car didn't make the show, but I thought some of our Wisconsin pals might be able to identify it.

[​IMG]

24. Falconred

Falconred

That's the better looking cousin to Miller's "Worlds Ugliest Race Car" as Bobby Allison called it.

25. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Just found out about this today...... something for the New England vintage race fans to check out......[​IMG]

In case you weren't aware, the Grand National boys used to run there until NASCAR reorganized the top division into Winston Cup (note Pearson's Talladega in the picture above). I've been to one presentation about the track's road course history (yes, it used to have a road course!) and it was fascinating. The history of the oval course is longer and the presentation should be even better!

26. allstarracing

allstarracing

The Belair body is available in resin. Go to rocketfin.com and key in resin cast and there are a lot of venders and one has the body but I can't recall his name. Allstarracing

27. allstarracing

allstarracing

The Belair is avalible in resin. go to rocketfin.com and key in resin cast. there are a lot of venders on it .Ican't remember the name but it is ther. Allstarracing

28. allstarracing

allstarracing

Fallcity48. James Climer also ran a Chevelle. Seems He had that number and sponsor on his car when we raced together at Beech Bend Park, Bowling Green Ky. A My dad helped tear down the Fall city building down. He also helped tear down the Ferh's brewery. Allstarracing

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  29. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

30. FallsCity48

FallsCity48
    from Nashville

allstarracing, Thanks for the resin Tip !! We'll give a try.

IIRC, Jimbo's (Climer) signature number was "55" & his sponsor for many years was rival brewery, Falstaff (although I remember him running #70 some also).

The local Falls City distributor sponsored many a car over the years (Charlie Binkley, George Bennett, James Ham to name a few ........ Oh, by the way a feller named Waltrip too when he (the distributor) became the car owner).

Thanks !!