Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Great picture of Jack McCoy, DOG427435. That fastback Charger won him his first Winston West Championship if I'm remembering correctly. He later sold that car to Ray Elder.

2. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Thanks for posting that mrut. I think it is Ray on his way to winning the Falstaff 400 at Riverside in 1972. I knew the whole Elder family well. After not having much luck with the winged cars in 1970, Ray put the regular stock nose back on his '70 Charger and went out and won the 1971 Motor Trend 500 at Riverside over Pearson, Petty, and Allison et al. There was a lot of carping about his "lucking into it". To disprove that theory, Ray came back and won the June race the next year.

3. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

I
    [​IMG]
    Picture from Ascot Park, Calif DOG427435?

4. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Originally Posted by indybigjohn [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look at that track, safety? that bank on the straight-a-way would just launch the car into the crowd...no real guard rails either. Crazy

5. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

6. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Again, DOG......another picture from Winston West? Possibly Ascot Park? The #88 looks very like the car that Don Noel drove in 1968 and '69. The #33 might be a driver named Dorrity from Modesto.

7. LunaticFord

LunaticFord

Does anyone have any better pictures of Junior Johnson's 57 Ford he raced in 58? I believe it was a Ray Fox car.[​IMG]

8. allstarracing

allstarracing

beentherebefore my name is Dan Wright and my T-Bird was built at the same time as Hornadays. His was called "Thunder Bucket" and was yellow and black. Mine was orange. The other T-Bird was Clem Procters. It was built a couple of years earlier and was red,white and blue. It was sponsored by the Starlite Bar and Lounge. Clem put it over the turn nine wall at Riverside. He bought my 406 when his blew just before riverside and I bought the last Vels/ Parnelli jones Boss 302 after they sold the TransAm stuff to Troy Entereprises. Some of the other hot dogs were Ivan Baldwin and Orin Prosser and the Easus, George the old man, Larry and Ron. Joe and Paul Ruggles ran good also. When I got to California in 1969 they were still running the coupes. 1970 was the last year for them but there were only a few left that year. The straight axles were outlawed and the bodies had to be 49 and newer. I saw a few 49-51 Fords and Chevys run but there were only a coulple of them. All of the Nascar Sportsman cars that I ran against until I left in 1972 were 1957 and newer. The six cylinder class was running 55 and newer.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  9. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

I vaguely remember that name on a car or two. Trouble is there were several "Wrights" running at the drags at Irwindale too and this old memory ain't quite what it used to be, LOL.

I do remember Clem's T-bird as it ran very well at Riverside, obviously before he put it over the wall. He may have had a podium finish or two out there behind Herschell McGriff's Olympia sponsored car. I think at Ascot and other short tracks he ran a '57 or '58 Ford, if I'm remembering correctly.

10. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

No, not that one. I didn't know that Norm had even built a Magnum to race as I quit going out to the Riverside races after 1978. I may have a picture somewhere of Norm's '70 dayglow-red Roadrunner. If I'm remembering correctly,he got a podium finish with it in the Semi when the Winston West cars ran at Laguna Seca in 1973 and then moved on to the main event and finished just outside the top 10. The amazing thing was that Norm was running a Mopar wedge there against the Hemi cars. I talked to Norm a few times after the races. He was a master with Mopar Max-wedges and built one for the Gary Sigman owned #6 Charger that Bill Butts drove in Winston West in '74 or '75. What kind of motor was in that Magnum? A Max wedge would not have been legal for Cup racing after '75.

11. Dog427435

Dog427435

This shot is from Oakland Speedway - not positive on the other, though definately a CA track

12. RICKLou

RICKLou

Speedway Master's

[​IMG]

No explanation needed

[​IMG]

13. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

these are the pictures that were supposed to be posted and I guess I goofed, sorry!....

14. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Got some more....

15. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Thanks for that. It sure looks like Ascot Park, turn #3. I'll stick my neck out then and say that it is Don Noel in the #88 and Dorrity in the #33 in a Winston West race circa '67 or '68.

16. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Same track (check the wall markings), turn #4, but a few years earlier. If there are any Buick fans here, this is Walt Price's Buick with a real Buick motor, not a Chevy. Don't know who was in the Merc, though......possibly Bruce Worrell (?). The "bird" is one of Ascot's famous ducks, wandered up (or scattered up) from the pond inside turns #3 - #4.

17. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

hey john, can you name these drivers??? found the pics in a book.

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

The 07 is after I left ASA. The 52 is Butch Miller. Looks a little like IRP.

19. ARCA Guy

ARCA Guy

Do you have anymore from Hartford - where these late models were running. Looks like 1975 Hartford Graduation race. Hemphill Going, Art Sommers 33 and Jerry Makera 42 on outside other photo Bob Schippers 37, Mr Dick 99 and Butch Miller 52 - love the photos keep them coming!

20. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

yup.52 is butch, 07 is lonny rush jr. just tring to stump ya. ha ha ha

21. Racewriter

Racewriter

Sigman owned a company called PRE, Professional Racers Emporium. Very knowledgeable guy. I bought what might have been his last dirt late model about seven years ago at an auction in Wichita, KS. What the heck it was doing there I have no idea. Very innovative piece - all round tube, every suspension mount was built on sliders so that you had basically infinite adjustment. I had to sell it before I ever got to run it (financial reasons). Wish I had it back now.

22. Racewriter

Racewriter

Lou Figaro, the driver in that pic, got killed in October 1954 at North Wilkesboro in a Grand National race. His death played a major role in Hershel McGriff's retirement after the 1954 season and return to Oregon. He and Figaro had been good friends, and his death affected McGriff enough to get him to "settle down" and go into the timber business. As we know, McGriff returned to racing in '66. At the time (1954), McGriff was already a star in Grand National and was offered a Kiekhafer Chrysler for 1955 - which he turned down.

23. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

here is a trickle car as it sits today.. found and restored buy bills speed shop in joliet il.

24. mrflagman

mrflagman
    from Wisconsin

This is not an original Trickle car. It is a replica. The chassis is a 5th design Howe. Looks good, but not original.

25. jmh

jmh

Remember the White Knight??... Tom Reffner..John:eek:

26. mrflagman

mrflagman
    from Wisconsin

I had the pleasure of watching "The White Knight" Dick Trickle and the "Blue Knight" Tom Reffner race weekly at my home track as a kid. John Boegeman, "The Black Knight" raced there for specials.

27. steve98

steve98
    from Denver NC

Heres my Dad back in the 70's. Hes with Dick Trickle, Trickle set fast time in late model, Dad in hobby stock.

28. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Heres some NASCAR at Islip NY....

29. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Some more....

30. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

yes newer chassis( the vintage racing around here are all newer chassis) but Dick did drive this car in 08 at LaCrosse speedway. body was a race body back in the day.. was found in ohio.