Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Dog427435

Dog427435

2. Dog427435

Dog427435

3. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

I have a Nascar question. If you enter a major nascar race back in the early 60's, does Nascar take a picture of the driver and car or has archive racing photos? 1963 would be the year im looking for.

4. copley62

copley62

I'm looking for photos of N.D Copley, I'm his son. He raced arca from 1969-1974. In October of 2005, he passed away. He always drove a ford, race number 62. Also raced alot of dirt.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  5. kimmelracing

kimmelracing

Copley62

You need to go to youtube.com, then search "Old Kentucky Dirt Track Races". There is a video on there at Butterball's raceway in Frankfort, KY that has your dad on it, loading a car on a flatbed truck.

6. Cool stuff. I don't have any photos to share, but the first time I realized that stuff with motors and wheels were cool was on a family vacation to Connecticut. That was 1959 and I was 7 years old. My uncle was racing a modified at some local track. I recently learned the the car was the Mystic Missle, a blue 34 Plymouth #7. His name is Donald Bachand. Since then I have been screwing up perfectly good cars. Thanks Donald.

7. Is this stock car racing or Trans Am? Either way, very cool pictures man.

8. Falconred

Falconred

That would be Trans Am, the mustang is one of the Bud Moore cars. George Fulmer or Parnelli Jones I guess. I hope spelling doesn't count,

9. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

I've lived in the Raleigh area for all of my 32 years and never knew there was a Raleigh Motor Speedway until this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Raleigh Speedway

Raleigh Speedway (originally Southland Speedway) was a one-mile (1.6 km) oval race track which opened in 1952 one mile north of Raleigh, North Carolina in Wake County. It was the second superspeedway ever built (the first being the 1.366 mile Darlington Raceway at Darlington, SC). It was also the first lighted superspeedway and the first track on which NASCAR sanctioned night-time races. The track had a long and narrow shape, like a paper clip, with the front and back straights about 500 feet apart and the straightaways about 1,850 feet long. The turns were banked at 16° and the straightaways were flat.<SUP>[1]</SUP>
    History

The speedway opened as Southland Speedway in 1952. It's first major event was a 200-mile AAA sanctioned IndyCar race held on July 4, 1952. That race was won by Troy Ruttman in an Offy powered Kuzma. Beginning in 1953 the track was know as Raleigh Speedway. NASCAR races were held at the track from 1953 to 1958. On the 1/4-mile (0.4 km) infield track there were weekly Modified an Sportsman races on Fridays. Occasionally, the Sportsman and Modified's ran on the one-mile track. The Grand National series ran 100, 250, and 300-mile races yearly (twice in 1955). The final three Grand National races were held on July 4, 1956, 1957, and 1958. When the Daytona International Speedway opened, the July 4 Grand National event moved to that track. Shortly thereafter, the Raleigh Speedway closed due to noise complaints from residents of nearby neighborhoods. The track was demolished in 1967. Most of the track site is now The Seaboard Industrial Park with the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad (CSX) siding occupying the former location of the front straight.

10. That's what I thought. I know Follomer was a Trans Am driver, but back then, alot of wacky stuff went on, you know, like Petty going drag racing. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something in my stock car history lessons, lol.

11. copley62

copley62

Kimmelracing

Yes, I have seen that video and noticed his car number was wrong on the picture. They have it as number 64 but he was 62 (the car door was dented in making it look like a 64). I think that car was a set back car where he actually set in the back seat.

Are you kin to Bill Kimmel Sr.?

12. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

copley62, that's either Bill Jr. or Frank you're talking to, so yes, they are related.

13. Racewriter

Racewriter

I believe that this is the 1969 Citrus 250 for the NASCAR Grand American division. The tipoff is that Lloyd Ruby is in the 25, which was a NASCAR car. At the time, the rules for T/A and NASCAR were so close that Moore could (and did) run the same cars in both divisions.

This race ran until 1973, when it was replaced by the NASCAR Modified Division.

14. Racewriter

Racewriter

When I have some time, I'll look up and scan some pics from my old Daytona programs. Your dad is in some of them. Johnny can verify, but I'm pretty sure your dad ran some ARCA races into the late 70s, at least at Daytona.

15. Racewriter

Racewriter

Now that is one hell of a field. There's more talent in the DNQ's than in most of the snotnose series pavement races nowadays.

Falcon - did you see that Junior Niedecken took 8th at the Snowball this year? How old is that guy?

16. Falconred

Falconred

He was still fairly young in the eighties, guess he has aged a little since. I saw him and his dad run in the same Snowball a few times. I have a photo of Sr. flipping at Rocket Speedway in Dothan, AL. I was shooting and suddenly noticed it was getting darker, I had the underside of the car coming my way, Rocket had no inside guard rails, the cars pitted of turn 1-2.

17. Calhoun

Calhoun

Not dirt, but how about one from Daytona? Best I can tell, this is from 1973, when he finished 18th.
    [​IMG]

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Calhoun. I'm glad to see that one myself.

19. copley62

copley62

Calhoun

That picture that you posted was a great picture. I have not seen that one with the uniform that said "Flash" but I've heard alot about it. Thank You. If anyone has anymore please keep them coming.

20. fats10

fats10

i been a fan of norman since 1967 when he was driving the 57 ford with the seat in the back he started the back seat driving at taylor county speedway that car would scream he would come out of the 2nd turn and punch it the front wheels would come off the ground.remember the pinto like to have a picture of that car

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for rekindling the memory, fats10. I traveled down to Taylor County quite a few times to see some good racing before I got to flag an ARCA race there. Beautiful red clay track.

22. fats10

fats10

indybigjohn i remember an arca race at tcs in 1968 or 69 the first thing i heard as i was sneeking through the corn field jesse baird sets new track record with a time of 17.48 n d copley raced that night finised 2nd in his heat to a 1967 ford # 32 last name martin cant remember first name.iggy katona won race cant remember who got 2nd great field of cars and a night of racing i wont forget

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

That had to be the night. I remember Iggy winning.

24. fats10

fats10

indybigjohn was roy wathen at that race.imo roy was the best

25. Falconred

Falconred

I didn't think of that, you are probably right. I wish I could have seen the race back when they ran the modifieds. Who brought the first latemodel bodied car down to run with the modifieds in the "Paul Revere 250" as I recall it was called back then. Richie Evans I think.

26. lawman

lawman

John, Do you have any history ref to the family that Roy Wathen drove for or the Newman fellow that built the engines or maybe cars for Roy ? Where are these people now , I know that Roy passed away sometime back.
    Thanks so much for keeping this history alive. Hank Schaffner

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Lawman, I don't think Roy was at that ARCA race.

Gerald and Larry Newman owned the cars that Roy drove at the fairgrounds, and maybe Roy had an ownership role as well. Gerald was a mechanic at V.V. Cooke (hence the connection), and Larry was a mechanic at a foreign car dealership in Louisville. Haven't heard from them in years. Roy had a rare kidney disease that finally took his life, as I remember.

All of them were great people, and Roy was a prankster at times.

I had to do some explaining after the first time I brought my wife to the fairgrounds early in the 1969 season. We had gotten married in December of the previous year (41 years ago today - how time flies), and I was introducing her to the drivers and their wives after the program. When I introduced her to Roy and Pat, Roy took a slug of beer and said, "Man's got more wives than anybody I've known" and walked away.

Another story for the column and eventually the book.

28. lawman

lawman

Thanks John. Congrats on 41 years. I have 43 years under my belt and would not trade those years for anything in the world. Hank Schaffner

29. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Would you believe I met my wife while I was a newspaper editor in Salem? And it turned out her mother was from Danville. Mine from Harrodsburg. Good Kentucky stock.

30. ARCA Guy

ARCA Guy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some N.D. shots from the Tom Davidson collection. He was and still is the ARCA photographer and is real generous with sharing photos, unlike some others on this board. Enjoy and if I dig some more up I'll post them.