Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. k9racer

k9racer

for the photos/history in the N J area call or contact Ace Lane jr.. His dad took great photos from the early 50s to his death. His son jr is a great photo man on his on. The next thing is contact Bill Erb with the Garden State Vintage Stock Car Association. Last write a letter to the Vintage Stock car Mag/ Victory lane Mag to Dan Davis. He might publish it maybe get you some results. Good Luck.... Bobby....

2. thank you so much for all of your information!!!

3. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

Nobody has heard of Bill Forbes?

4. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

How cool would it be to see one of the sectioning groups start up a class of stock cars that the bodies had to look like they did back in the 50's but with sealed crate engines?

The bodies would have to appear just as they were in the 50's but undated with newer safety features.

The idea came to me watching all the groups that are running the nostalgic drag racing events with gassers that also must be just the way they were in the 60's with no electronics other the the tach.

There are a ton of short circle tracks running on Saturday nights and I just wonder if something like this might just catch on with stock car fans.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

5. racer_dave

racer_dave

There is a class very similar to that in the IL, WI, IN area. Cars/chassis have to be older than a certain date with steel bodies. But since there are a lot of different chassis configurations they have to have varying weight rules for chassis type. They don't run killer hard since the cars can't really be replaced, but they do race and its a pretty good show.

6. Some local history re: the old M59 Speedway near Pontiac Michigan. The below text and pictures are from a local historian. I went to that track several times with my dad as a young kid, in the mid/late 50s. It is long gone.

"... these pictures and text are from the White Lake History book "IN REMEMBRANCE". The Pontiac Speedway was located on M-59 at Cranberry Lake, 3 miles west of the Pontiac airport. Robert D Amos owned the speedway, which was a 1/4 mile track adjacent to a picnic park on the shore of Cranberry Lake. Today Cranberry Lake Mobile Home park sits on the racing site which brought thrills and chills to the many fans of stock car racing. The race track enjoyed great popularity in the 1950's, when racing fans would come to cheer their favorite drivers to victory. Joy Fair of Pontiac was a regular at the track, as well as a crowd favorite. Ray Farley, Gerald Lafnear and Rusty Kelly of Pontiac were a few drivers who could be found competing against Fred Sutherland, John Le Marbe, Joe Doyle and Johnny Wallace. Others included Dick Price of Union Lake, Bill Hasselle of Troy and Chuck Partello of Rochester. George Moore of Lake Orion won a feature race at the track on July 25, 1954. He nipped Partello in a close finish in the 25 lap event.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Janf777

Janf777
    from Florida

There are no pictures... I am kens daughter he died when I was almost 5 I would love to have any pictures or stories you have on him!!

8. k9racer

k9racer

Jan I am a little lost on your request. What is your dad's full name? It would help if you posted where he raced. The more info you give the nice folks on this thread the more we will be able to help you.. Bobby...

9. Falconred

Falconred

Ace Lane, now that's a great name from the past. I still remember seeing and enjoying the photos with Ace Lane's byline.

10. SWIGJ

SWIGJ
    from JASPER GA

Athens speedway reunion 2014

Attached Files:

11. SWIGJ

SWIGJ
    from JASPER GA

more from the athens reunion

Attached Files:

12. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

They make fiberglass bodies of the tri-5's .????

13. racer72

racer72

Found this site a few weeks ago, have been enjoying looking at all the pictures. Haven't seen too many from up here in the Northwest but I think I can fix that. I have a lot of pictures from the area, mostly from Spanaway Speedway that I will post. They are in storage now so I will have to dig them out and get them scanned.

My father drove race cars in the 50's at the old Sea-Tac speedway in what is now Federal Way, Washington. I drove a variety of classes at Spanaway and Olympia-Tenino.

A friend of mine and former West coast race Don Hall has a site with many pictures from the Northwest and West Coast. I even found a picture of my father driving an old 4 door Studebaker on this site and he gave me a hard time for driving a 4 door Buick figure 8 car.

http://donhallracing.com/photos.html

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Welcome to the site, racer72. Bring on you photos.

15. racer72

racer72

qm1.jpg Still trying to find most of my pictures. Did find some from when I drove quarter midgets in California in 1964. Lot different from the quarter midgets of today, no roll cages and just a single shoulder belt to hold the driver in the car. Like the tow vehicle too, a 49 Buick wagon. qm2.jpg qm3.jpg qm4.jpg

16. racer72

racer72

Started life a a 66 Hemi Charger. First picture is opening day at Spanaway Speedway in 1983. 2nd picture is 2 months later.

Attached Files:

17. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Those are some cool pics! Welcome to the thread.

Kevin

18. Utica-Rome speedway in Vernon, NY allows 57-up bodies on the street stocks and one guy still runs a '57 Chevy. Usually a mid-pack car, blew it up last weekend though.

19. Scott Bennett

Scott Bennett

Nice collection racer72 and welcome.

20. dmccraryart

dmccraryart

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407171261.870130.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407171307.706400.jpg a couple of water colors I did a while back - "Bird Bath" and The Darlington Two-Step".

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Nice Dan, very Nice work. Hope too see more in the future. :D

22. dmccraryart

dmccraryart

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407461750.427693.jpg Thanks - how about this - "The Party's Over"....

23. k9racer

k9racer

Do you sell
    Do you sell copys of your water colors?? Thank You

24. dmccraryart

dmccraryart

Sure do!

25. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

You have to love Utica-Rome speedway in Vernon, NY

Great old track and plenty of memories.

Jimbo

26. irace25

irace25
    from NAPA

Vallejo Speedway 1971.

Attached Files:

s55mercury66 likes this.
  27. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Dan that painting is beautiful. It shows that was one heard earned victory. I don't know who the driver is, sorry. But it looks like it might be a Darlington race.

28. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The double Decker midget trailer reminds me of one I had just like it back in the late 60's and I purchased mine from a friend who ran 1/4 midgets for his two sons.

It worked great for caring two karts back and forth to Thompson Speedway, and Bridgehampton Raceway.

Jimbo

29. dmccraryart

dmccraryart

That was LeeRoy Yabrough, the Spring race at Darlington 1969. Thanks!

30. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Lee Roy Yabrough of course. Thanks Dan, and again beautiful work.