Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. tbirdguy

tbirdguy

Augie is still involved some how with the Pabst beer deal
    Good to see all the pictures from Raceway park Blue Island Illinois.
    Old timers day is march 24 2013 at the Will County Fairgrounds

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Guys, while I admit to being deeply saddened by the loss of the pics here a couple days ago, we gotta remember the mods here are only human, and sometimes make mistakes, as humans are prone to do.

Also would like to add that "Redline 7000", will be on Ch 292 on Dish, on 2/7/2013 (which also happens to be my birthday).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Here are a few from Nashville. First are the grandstands, next is Tiny Lund's 1963 crash, and Coo Coo Marlin's '62 Chevy, which I believe was destroyed in the filming of a movie made at Nashville. From Jimmies Old Time Racing.

Attached Files:

4. k9racer

k9racer

In the Marty Robbins movie that used coo coo Marlin car they used a Junk yard car for the fire scenes. The race car was sold to a country music star I think was named Roy Druskey..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

k9racer, do you remember the name of the movie? I saw it last summer, but can't remember what the name was.

6. k9racer

k9racer

The name was "" Hell on Wheels"" listen in a garage scene and he will refer to Hamiltons Garage.. This was Bobby Hamiltons Father and Grand fathers place garage where they worked.. The Hamiltons kept up Martys cars he drove and another driven by Bob Ruther aka Bobby who is B Hamiltons God Father..

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  7. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Thanks for these Nashville photo's. Man do these open a flood gate.

I am very curious, does anyone know anything about PB Crowell out of Franklin Tn. these days?
    Tom S.

8. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Can you equate that to the name of a channel so I can maybe find it on my DirectTV? Love to get that one on a DVD.

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday!

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for all the new photos being posted, guys. Great to see that stuff. And remember, there's always The Dogfight site for stuff later than the mods allow.

10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

John, I have Direct TV too, and it's not on there. I am sorry, I'm going to look for it on DVD.

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Here are some of the photos from the Beauchamp/Petty accident at Daytona, 1961. Also found the one of the #63 Starliner, but can't recall who the driver was....Dick Hutcherson? I apologize if these are already on here.

Attached Files:

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Looks like the country music industry was involved in racing, before T.G. Shepherd sponsored Tim Richmond. And, of course, there always seems to be a woman involved :D Otis Deck's "Pretty Woman" '57, a little worse for wear, had some help from Roy Orbison (is that a truck arm setup under there?), and here is Marty Robbins' own "Devil Woman" car, with L to R; Preacher Hamilton, Marty, and Bud Hamilton.

Attached Files:

13. Falconred

Falconred

Just added a few more Mike Alexander over on the Dog Fight site.

14. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Pictures from last summers car and driver reunion, Occoneechee/Orange Speedway. These pics are of the honored guess, Wendell Scott.

Attached Files:

• 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      397.6 KB
      Views:
    • 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      199.4 KB
      Views:
    • 028.jpg
      028.jpg
      File size:
      338.9 KB
      Views:
    • 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      166.5 KB
      Views:
  15. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Here are a few more of pre '65 stokers that use to roar around the clay at the Hillsborough track.

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      316.8 KB
      Views:
    • 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      202.9 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      286 KB
      Views:
    • 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      229.8 KB
      Views:
  16. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

And a few more. Please, enjoy. :D

Attached Files:

• 035.jpg
      035.jpg
      File size:
      291.4 KB
      Views:
    • 034.jpg
      034.jpg
      File size:
      361.4 KB
      Views:
    • 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      365 KB
      Views:
    • 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      303.2 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      291.9 KB
      Views:
  17. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

great pics. you spend some time in nashville?

18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Those I found on Jimmies Old Time Racing Photos. I'm originally from SE Ohio, and have never set foot in Tennesee.

19. k9racer

k9racer

The Otis Deck car was on leafs. If you look close you can see the 12 inch long shackels.. and wadded up leaf spring. Otis was also a drag race car owner and driver who won some national meets.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  20. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Thanks for posting the pic of the Hamiltons with Marty Robbins. I am a big Bobby Hamilton fan (hence the "BHfanGB") and am always on the look out for pics of his pre-cup cars as well as those of people associated with him. The guy had a life story that would break most people's hearts. It's pretty amazing what he overcame to get to the level of racing that he did, a very talented man who was taken far too soon.

21. k9racer

k9racer

To add some more country music stars who sponsored cars at Nashville. Brenda Lee/ The Oak Ridge Boys// Loreta Lynn/// Webb Peirce/// Ferlen Huskey.. And some I forget as its been 47 to 50 years ago that I attended the tues night shows............................ Nashville raced limited sportsman and cadet/ figure 8 shows on Tuesdays..................................... You could look in the stands and see lots of country preformers as they usually did not work on tuesdays and could come to the races. Backk then people would leave them alone.

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, mercury. I think I'll take a look on eBay. Got a couple of good ones over there - Thunder in Carolina for one.

23. southern indiana fan

southern indiana fan
    from 2012

For the people looking for Red Line 7000 or Hell On Wheels I found both on Amazon and Hell on Wheels on ebay. Ebay redirected me to other sites for Red Line and on both sites you have to scroll past the Hell on Wheels series.

24. Falconred

Falconred

I remember on one trip to the AA 400 at Nashville I noticed a young local latemodel driver running his first or atleast one of his first races in the ASA/AllPro type cars and thought, this kid is pretty good to stand out amoung these "Name" drivers.

25. k9racer

k9racer

As far as Bobby Hamilton. The person who gave him his start has never been given credit. This person is Tony Formosa.................................................... When bobby was a teen he would hang around the Formosa group. Later they gave him a hobby car a 70 Chevelle. He cobbled it together with cast away junk. He drove that POS smooth and always ran in the top 4...................................................... Later when the T F group started racing on the Nashville 5/8 mile track Tony let Bobby drive the car. Many races were won by this pair. ................................ Later came the offer to drive in NASCAR all sucess due to Tony Formosa.. Now manager of Nashville speedway.....................................................On a some what funny or odd note. Bobby was leading a Enduro race at Highland rim speedway in his Uncles daily transporation buick skylark fresh off the street. on lap 170 to 180 of 200. the car interior filled up with steam. The windows were up as it was New Years day. The culprit was the heater core broke and filled the car with anti freeze. i watched as he and his uncle changed the hose to by pass the heater core as the checker flag fell. On the next work day his uncle drove the same buick to work. I have lots more that I will post later.. Bobby..

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Found the same thing. Thanks...

27. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

Mt Clemmens speedway Michigan
    Super Stock Fairlane purchased by Marshall Slayden from John Snowberger. 427 ci BB Ford.

[​IMG]