Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. jrose7004

jrose7004

Brian, where was the pic of the 26 race car taken?

2. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The reality of this whole deal is this whole web site belongs to one guy, its his deal and he has the power to do with it what ever he wants. It is monitered by only a few people, Metalshapes being one of them. They have been kind enough to allow us to post pictures and history of Stock Car racing, and have given us some leeway to venture a bit away from what the general topic of the website is about. At some point, probably about the time all the posts about the Camaro's with the spoilers began showing up, (which I have no problem with) the pictures no longer looked like the 60s & 70s stock cars, and I began to wonder how far they would let us go. Guess we know now.

I see they have a place for us to go and post all the various stages the "stock car" racing has gone through. I went to that site to look around, I think we could really liven that place up. There have been around 80 threads posted there since the beginning of the year. It would suck too think that was the main purpose of the crackdown, but even if it was, at least they have given us an outlet for our stuff. There, like the HAMB, it is free to sign up. We have a link to the site, and we could bookmark it like we have all done here and will have the chance to continue on without concern if someone should post a few pictures that are not within the original guidelines of the website.

All we need is to have someone with a bunch of pictures go there and start a thread and let us know they have done so. Once we get going there, maybe, the moderator can move the pictures from this post over to the new site thread? At least a direct link between the two threads on the two sites would be a cool thing to do , if that is even possible.

Much as I would hate to see this thread move else where, I'd even more hate to see it go away all together. They have the power to do just that. They can and have locked posts because of "drama" (whining and crying) as well as for being off topic. With that in mind, let us move to the dogfight site and keep doing our thing. I've been addicted to stock car racing for many years and all these pictures feed the addiction. That is a good thing since I can no longer afford to race, having a chance to relive something that was a part of my life brightens my day. Gene

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  3. metalshapes

metalshapes

" ...It would suck too think that was the main purpose of the crackdown..."

Thanks for bringing that up.

No. It wasn't.

The only purpose is to get this thread On Topic.

I hope that it will, and will rival the quality of the Drag Cars in Motion Thread.

For more discussion about this, please start a Thread in the Q & S Forum.

4. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

"They have the power to do just that. They can and have locked posts because of "drama" (whining and crying) as well as for being off topic. With that in mind, let us move to the dogfight site and keep doing our thing."

I checked out that site and it can't compare to this one. Maybe this site has wandered from original site intent but how can you argue with it's sucess?....going on for 2 1/2 years and almost 5,000 posts. Sponsors/supporters of many sites would kill for a viewlist like this one has. "Metalshapes", perhaps you will lay down some specific parameters for this particular thread and posters will know exactly when they are "out of order". With as many readers as you have pleading to preserve this thread, I'm sure that more than a few of us will jump on any "boundary jumpers" if it means keeping this thread alive.

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of you need to understand what Gene just said. This fantastic world of the HAMB is a forum for Ryan Cochran's The Jalopy Journal blog. He has made his forum rules perfectly clear from day one. It is his site, his rules. It is not a question of whether we agree with the rules or not. You don't play by the rules, you are out of here, plain and simple.

That Ryan loves a broad spectrum of the auto world, including European sports cars, etc. is why his O/T tolerance is so high. Ryan loves go-fast horsepower and hard racing as much as the next guy. But he designed (and maintains) the HAMB as a site for traditional hotrods and customs. What is traditional, you ask? The answer can be debated, but not on the HAMB. Ryan has answered that question as "From the beginning (of hotrodding) through 1964." You've got to draw the line somewhere, and that's his line.

He has shown a remarkable tolerance in this thread, as he does in many other threads, for allowing some O/T posts. I cannot speak for him, but my guess is that his high tolerance reflects his appreciation and enthusiasm for the great racing history that is the heartbeat of this thread. Hell, it is his appreciation for the history that allows threads like this to get started at all.

Do ya'll see the difference? The difference between
    a) Not allowing a stock car thread on a traditional hotrod & custom forum
    and
    b) Appreciating the go-fast world enough to allow it, and even giving it an awfully long leash, but reigning it in when it starts to stray too far.

My $0.02.

6. NOBUCKS

NOBUCKS

Your opinion is right on !!!!

7. OSP/ada last year. Mike Howard shot I think?

8. bowsher21

bowsher21

What is a Stock Car if not a Hot Rod? 25yrs old, (1986) in any car circle is Vintage.

Think about it. From the first day some crack-pot kid tossed the hood and fenders off the family model T there's been advancement of what a "HOT ROD" is. Sprint cars came from those same Model T's and morphed into the World Of Outlaw's Sprint Car Series. Todays Indy Cars were split off from the same vehicles. Tell me their not Hot Rods!
    Stock cars have a history of "Moonshine runners" in their ranks. Guess what they used to move their product? Yep, you got it, A Hot Rod!

Your same "Traditional Hot Rod" may have started as a street car with Baby Moon's in the 30's or 40's but it IS a Top Fuel Funny Car or Dragster today! FYI, today's NASCAR C.O.T., Nationwide and Truck series vehicles Still use a 1965 Ford floor pan in their construction!

Hot Rod builders are artist's and they go where the art takes them and that is called "progress". What you see in this thread is the progress of the construction of the "Hot Rod" intended for competition. The history of the Circle Track "Hot Rod" is being compiled on your web site and should not be disturbed. There is so much information to be had from fans of racing that otherwise would never be seen. The thread has a flow, if you lock it or require it to be moved it will die and that would be like book burning.

I respectfully request the owners of the H.A.M.B let this thread go. Consider it an addition to the site. It is the best, I mean #1 thread of the history of the tracks and cars of Stock Car racing as seen from a fans point of view.

To further my point of association of Stock cars and Hot Rods.
    I built this 1934 Ford Hot Rod Truck using the following parts that evolved from Hot Rods and can be found on a Stock Car; Holley Carbs, roller cam/lifters, coil over/double a-frame suspention, American Racing wheels, Hay's clutch, disc brakes, Edelbrock intake, Appelton 6to1 Late Model (stock car) rack & pinion, aluminum radiator....

Just my 2 cent's or perhaps a pocket full of change.

9. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

well is this still going, all i have to say is i realy like it and because of it have found and had conversations with my dad's late driver's daughter and grand son( because i posted some pics of the car-- driver died at the track in 66) but i love seeing all the stuff......even the superwing 80's cars. as i was born in 66 i have a collection of pre-birth stuff, just to keep some history going to my kids/grandkids...as for off topic how is pinewood derbie racing on topic with the site? well bigjohn what do you say? sound like some members are leaving the site as per this crackdown, would hate to have to leave it as well just to see some pics..... my $.02

10. metalshapes

metalshapes

The parameters on this Thread are the same as any Thread on the HAMB.

The content needs to be Relevant and On Topic.

The cut off date for the HAMB is about mid '60s in year and buildstyle, so that includes this Thread.

So now please, stop the discussion about this on this Thread.

Move the discussion to the Questions & Suggestions Forum of the HAMB that is specifically there for that.

And get this Thread back to a pics Thread.

There has to be plenty of early Stock Car stuff out there to keep this Thread alive...

11. allstarracing

allstarracing

Hey metalshapes do you want this thread to die? Apparently the pictures stopping in the mid sixties are drying up or are just reprints of allready posted stuff. There is just so many different shots of the same cars people can take so the intrustion of later cars for the world to enjoy is appreciated. When you put a stop date on the thread the menorabilia will dry up. How long has it been since a mid sixties and older car has been posted? Who has trhe pictures? Why can't we just enjoy whatever there is out there? Allstarracing

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

If its still unclear what is On Topic on the HAMB, I must be doing a piss poor job of explaining it.

Thank you to the few Users that have tried to get this Thread going again with Relevant and On Topic content.

To bad you were outnumbered...

13. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Ok guys, they have given us another chance. Let us keep within the rules.
    We are looking for stock cars that raced with bodies available before the early 70s, when they were still basically factory appearing cars. If in doubt, go to the question and answer board found on the bottom of the page.

Show me something I haven't seen for years, refresh my memory of how great it used to be. Gene

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I would like to thank those who have given us another chance. I'll do my best to stay within the parameters. This thread will continue to be a prime spot for people like me looking for old photos of stock cars.

And I'm not being sarcastic or trying to create drama when I say I'm glad that's a 1965 Dodge in my avatar photo.

For those (including me) who want to go up to 1985 or so, we hope to start a new thread on TrackForum's "Dirt/Circle Track" section.

Thanks again.

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

good deal, pretty simple rules. lets try and stick to them. and now "on with the show"

16. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Cool, Glad its back. Now don't screw it up. Play by the rules or don't play at all.

17. Falconred

Falconred

Thanks for allowing this thread to continue. I will be back posting photos as soon as I sort throught and find some that fit the time span.

18. ARCA Guy

ARCA Guy

Since we are cleaning up the site and going by the rules now will somebody then be removing all the previous photos which don't belong?

19. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

I Hope not,,,

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

No...

Lets leave things the way they are, up to this point.

And make any future Posts On Topic.

21. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

22. metalshapes

metalshapes

23. Racewriter

Racewriter

Wanna know the funny thing about that pic? My Granddad swore until his dying day that Johnny won that race, and that Lee was actually a lap behind at the finish. Now, Granddad was there - he drove Bob Potter's '59 Chevy in the 100 Mile Grand National qualifier - but I always took that with a grain of salt.

About ten years ago, I was working on a historical article and I interviewed some old NASCAR racers, including Joe Lee Johnson. I told Joe Lee that my Granddad had always said that Johnny won the '59 500, and Joe said, "That's because he did. Lee was a lap down, and he and Weatherly were racing for position, not him and Johnny. If Johnny hadn't been from Iowa, he'd have won the race."

I have since talked to a couple of other old-time drivers who were there and said the same thing...

24. BrianTidball

BrianTidball

Cecil Gordon

25. jrose7004

jrose7004

I am happy that this thread is going again!

26. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/more/end-of-an-era-nssn-ceasing-publication/

End Of An Era:
    NSSN Ceasing Publication

by NSSN Staff

All good things come to an end.

And so is the case for America’s Motorsports Authority, National Speed Sport News. After more than 76 years, the publication, which was first published as National Auto Racing News on Aug. 16, 1934, has printed its last issue, dated — March 23, 2011.

While hundreds of other newspapers came and went during the past three-quarters of a century, NSSN continued to ride the support of its readers and advertisers in producing the most thorough weekly racing publication on the market. But economic times have been tight and the newspaper business has suffered at the hands of high production costs and modern technology, which provides information to readers instantly.

“This is one of the saddest days of my life,” said National Speed Sport News Publisher Corinne Economaki. “The sluggish economy has made it too difficult to continue publication and no matter how I try to make the numbers work — and believe me I have tried — it is just not feasible to keep the business going.

“For 76 years, since August 1934 when my father Chris sold copies of the first issue at Ho-Ho-Kus Speedway in northern New Jersey, to today, as I oversee the very last copy printed, this paper has been an integral part of my family,” Corinne Economaki said.

Through the years National Speed Sport News was the industry leader in covering motorsports, much of it thanks to Chris Economaki, 90, who sold the first issue of NSSN at Ho-Ho-Kus Speedway in New Jersey, and began writing for the publication soon after that and became editor in 1950.

Economaki saw the publication through its glory days, launching a career on television and taking his newspaper into thousands of homes across America. In a time when there was no Internet and very little racing was on television or radio, National Speed Sport News thrived.

When National Speed Sport News began its run, there were no seat belts, drivers wore leather helmets and the flathead Ford V8 was one of the most common racing engines. Today, safety is the utmost concern and HANS and other safety devices are all the rage. Fuel-injected engines are everywhere.

Not only has technology changed what fans see at the race track, it changed how NSSN gathered the news. In the early years most news arrived at the NSSN office by mail or telephone. Later the telecopier and the fax machine played key roles. Both were replaced by the computer modem and later by e-mail.

NSSN was printed by linotype, but later changed to phototypesetting and finally went completely digital in 2002.

But after enduring all these changes, a familiar friend will no longer appear at the mailboxes of its loyal readers.

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/ , the online version of the newspaper, will continue to be updated with daily news, giving Internet savvy readers the opportunity to keep up with some of the same news they enjoyed every week.

But as far as the newspaper goes, it’s the end of an era.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  27. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

o.k heres one, meadowdale raceway...... roadcourse in carpentersville il. it even had a monza wall........ from 58 to 69 pic is from 63

28. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

"And I'm not being sarcastic or trying to create drama when I say I'm glad that's a 1965 Dodge in my avatar photo.'

Geez, John.......now that you mention it......on closer examination....and here I thought all along that it was a Ford product. Whose car is that?

29. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Beentherebefore, that's Iggy Katona. I always thought it was a former Ernie Derr car. The photo was taken at Louisville Downs, a half-mile trotting track which was crushed limestone. Iggy used this car on dirt for a while after he got the Charger.

Interesting story about that race. The promoter, Bill King, told John Marcum he would build me a flagstand on the outside. When we got there, he had laid an eight-foot table across the rails between the box seats. I decided to work from the track.

At the risk of being slightly OT, Bill King was one of the first agents Elvis Presley approached. Bill thought he'd never make it and sent him to Tom Parker. I think Jerry Reed's "Tupelo Mississippi Flash" was about Bill.

30. jrose7004

jrose7004

I took Natioal Speed Sport news for years when that was about all there was. I hate to admit that I quit taking it too when the internet came along. I guess all newspapers will have the same fate sooner rather than later.