Register now to get rid of these ads!

History His-Story of "Stan Back" the Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Fishbeck, Mar 13, 2016.

1. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

J. as far as a link its been years ago ask Jim he should know Mike.

J.Fishbeck likes this.
  2. Will do!

3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

It looks as though the wheelbase remained extended even after the car was fitted with a sbc. The radiator looks like it was moved back and a moon tank fitted to bridge the gap b/w the front crossmember and the radiator.

Or am I missing something?

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I did not hear about that. Is there a link to that "HopUp"[/QUOTE]

I have the issue and might have a second one, if so I will bring Saturday.
    There is an amazing photo of the parts of the roadster everywhere in the swap spot. When I heard of Jim doing it, I almost fell over, his roadster was one from a 'real guy' not like the upper crust LA Roadsters guys, except for Bob Barnes.
    To get a roadster into the main show it had to be 'finished' with paint and interior, and I was told that around the time of the tear apart that Jim's roadster had a tear in the seat from years of usage and he would cover the tear with a blanket or maybe it was a hat to be able to get into the show because you get in free with a roadster,,, typical Jim.

5. In Street Roadster class, it doesn't specify what the wheel base, has to be. The hood can be extended 3" and you're allowed 15% engine set back, from the spindles centerline
    I have the issue and might have a second one, if so I will bring Saturday.
    There is an amazing photo of the parts of the roadster everywhere in the swap spot. When I heard of Jim doing it, I almost fell over, his roadster was one from a 'real guy' not like the upper crust LA Roadsters guys, except for Bob Barnes.
    To get a roadster into the main show it had to be 'finished' with paint and interior, and I was told that around the time of the tear apart that Jim's roadster had a tear in the seat from years of usage and he would cover the tear with a blanket or maybe it was a hat to be able to get into the show because you get in free with a roadster,,, typical Jim.[/QUOTE]

I won't be there Saturday, but if you could, please hand it to Jim.

6. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Wow -- what a neat car!

So glad I own it. Here's a shot of it when I installed a DeSoto hemi in it for a few weeks. The local street rod club thought it was cool! I continued to use the Chevy headers, tho. Most didn't notice.

Attached Files:

7. dad-bud

dad-bud

Wow, great story of an (his-)storical car still running just like a fresh racecar.
    Thanks for taking the time to share with us.
    Cheers.

J.Fishbeck likes this.
  8. Thanks for the good words.

He still has those front fenders, also
    2016-03-17 17.53.07.jpg
    20160316_115243.jpg

9. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmm...I never saw it with the Hemi but without the pink Metalflake paint w/ rainbow graphics and Boyd directional wheels. Any pics of it in that phase of its life, Jim?

vic

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That particular Hemi looks rather suspicious.

grumpy32, falcongeorge and J.Fishbeck like this.
  11. Prototype hemi.......

J.Fishbeck likes this.
  12. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

What's even more suspicious were the "Street Rodderrs" who thought it was for real.

(I made the mistake of trading off those DeSoto valve covers for some parts for my Plymouth's Chrysler. Oh, well.)

grumpy32 and J.Fishbeck like this.
  13. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is the Al Simon you are referring to the same Al Simon who built beautiful frames for Coddington ?

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's the same Al Simon, I think he also worked for Ed Moss at TCI, he is a quiet, unassuming, talented guy.

15. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VERY suspicious! SBC headers on a Hemi ? ? Ugh, O.K. He is not quite convincing this old 69 year young, bullshitting roadster driver. I hope to ask about this "particular fitment" if I see him at El Mirage in May.

16. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I watched Coddington's show when All did frame work for him, and it seems like Al didn't get that typical bullshit that Boyd and his "underling" Dwayne spewed on the other employees. Al just appeared to be the kind of guy who didn't take shit off anyone. He seemed to be a real metal magician, like Terry Hegman.

chriseakin likes this.
  17. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you still have those "adapters". I have a nice set of Desoto valve covers that would look nice on my SBC. How much ?

18. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

As I recall, they were 1/4" all-thread outta 327 tin valve covers.

19. Stopped by Jim's, today. Picked up one of the Krankers plaque, he had for me.
    2016-03-30 17.26.24.jpg
    The president of the Krankers, Ron Aquirre, owned the 56 Corvette, X Sonic. First car to ever have hydraulics.

While I was there, I grabbed the display used at car shows, for a show this wknd. So I clicked a couple pics.
    20160330_122533.jpg 20160330_122542.jpg 20160330_122550.jpg 20160330_122559.jpg 20160330_122610.jpg

20. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

I'm looking forward to seeing the Stan Back roadster in person hopefully this year on the salt in August. I had no idea the history of the car Thanks for posting this I'm impressed. I'm also looking forward to meeting Stan Back I enjoy following his post on another site usually something amusing on Landracing.Com.

J.Fishbeck likes this.
  21. Salt permitting, team Fairweather, will be there! I'm looking forward to the May meet, at El Mirage.

22. Fingers crossed

23. Shit I even have my balls crossed....sure do miss the racing.

Tman and J.Fishbeck like this.
  24. Mirage bump hopes and dreams .... howdy sir !!

J.Fishbeck likes this.
  25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

May El Mirage...191+....not enough

J.Fishbeck likes this.
  26. Just cool stuff!:cool: Thanks:D Wait I was born in 1947:eek:

J.Fishbeck likes this.
  27. Going to make some changes and go for it again, in June. New tires came in yesterday, an they're adding a little more weight in the frame. Our starting position is 44, but will actually be somewhere in the 30's. There probably won't be that many entrants, being that it's only a one day meet. The record for C/STR is 193.93. Willie clicked off a 191.91 with a head wind, down towards the big end. Come hang out with the Road Runners, we're always pitting at Patrol 3, on the north side of the course.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Tman likes this.