Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hipster Bullshit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Lepus

Lepus

Ryan,cool photos! I had never heard of the XPan, what a neat camera.That's definitely one to keep, unless you really need the money you could get for it. I enjoy using my old cameras, but haven't in a while. the last time was2 or 3 years ago at a Jalopy Showdown. I brought my Leica IIIc and Canonet G-III QL17.(known as the poor man's Leica) The weather was miserable, and the shutter of the Canonet stuck after 2 pictures. I've collected about 5 of them, and that was the only one that hadn't yet stuck, so I wasn't surprised.( If you know a good film camera repair man please let me know) I have some old film you might be interested in. If you are, I'll send you 2 rolls each Kodak Vericolor II profesional film 5025, type S expired 5/81, Kodak Ektachrome 64 daylight color slide film expired 4/84, and Ilford HP5 asa 400. If you want them, let me know.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quality photos shot on film with a pro grade camera just call for studying every detail in the photo.

I spent a lot more time going over the minute details in those photos than I normally spend looking at something.

When I was young my dad's girlfriend's brother in law was Willis "Pete" Peterson who taught photography at one of the schools in Arizona an had a lot of photos in Arizona highways magazines. He did a summer photography trip to Alaska every summer and stopped In Renton for a few days on the way up and back. Going up he usually went hunting though the pawn shops in Seattle looking for camera gear and I remember that he snagged a Hasselblad on one trip and some serious lenses a time or two.

Rolleiflex and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I live right by Michigan International Speedway and they did a thing last week where if you bring an unopened toy for toys for tots they let you do a lap around the track, following a lap car, 70mph max. Still pretty cool though!

VANDENPLAS and Just Gary like this.
  4. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Five laps for a buck-77 at Indy?! You lead a pretty charmed life for a Hipster!:D

VANDENPLAS and Just Gary like this.
  5. Dang.....they say the sound of a Novi is all it's own and you never forget it. Good book about the Granitelli's out there...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Your allowed Ryan...and thankfully you and the mod's allow us a little bit off the topic a time or two !

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. letting anyone advertise on here, huh Ryan?

Attached Files:

Bill Lowe, 210superair and Chucky like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...:eek:...:D...dang they are so annoying...

9. Ryan the pictures you took of my car are some of the best that have been taken of it.
    Keith.
    fullsizeoutput_17e.jpeg

10. catdad49

catdad49

Keep posting both your experiences and photos. Many of us will never do anything like what you are, so we can live it thru your postings. Remember, an artist is usually his worst critic! Thanks for all you do and Merry Christmas to You and Your Family, Carp.

Ryan likes this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Awe man... Too nice of you to offer. I am currently trying to nail Portra 400. I'm only two years in at this point and need, at the very least, two more years before I can try to figure out another film stock!

I do... And I owe it all to my old man for 2 reasons:

1. He taught me that I am no smarter than anyone else... and to get ahead, I gotta work harder than the average guy.

2. Because my dad subscribed to that, he was crazy successful... And because he was crazy successful, I was literally given the opportunity to work harder than anyone else.

Used to be oddly ashamed of that, but as I get older I'm pretty proud of it.

That's from Google Adsense. So, you are served ads by Google based on your search history. You are into some weird shit man. :)

That was the first (and only?) time I've ever done a film only photoshoot... I didn't even have a digital camera with me, was in a country I had never been in, was with a non-car buddy (cuz I had been drinking), and... everything was stacked against me.

Everything accept the light, the colors, and the cars... I just got really, really lucky... And that's probably the only time in my life that I've shot film and had a keeper rate of over 50%. Pure luck cuz I've never been able to repeat it.

HemiDeuce, warbird1, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  12. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Good stuff.

Stogy likes this.
  13. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I literally laughed my ass off at this one... 20201215_132911.jpg

bonneville bones, Bill Lowe and Stogy like this.
  14. Harley1x

Harley1x

Ryan nice pics., you are talented

15. I used to enjoy it when someone asked if you wanted to see a picture of his or her car and they would hand you a 35mm print photograph. Now they stand there and scroll through 1237 pictures to try to find the one they want to show you and when the finally hand you their phone you can't see it anyway! I love digital cameras but really love prints as well. I get mine made at costco from digital sources.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

No more in-store photo departments at Costco starting next month, online only.