Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hinges from Speedway.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowongas, Sep 10, 2010.

1. lowongas

lowongas

I have done quite a search for some hinges for my 30 coupe but at 350.00 dollars a set that WAY too much for me.I did notice that Speedway sells what looks like a universal set you drill and cut yourself.Anyone ever purchase a set of these and what problems,if any,did you have.?

2. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

they don't fit a 30 coupe, get the right hinges

3. vendetta

vendetta

check out this thread-http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298292

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

There alot of work to get straight ,Bodywork that is ,Let you in on a little secret Look at 47 to 48 ford hinges and check the similarity.The inner hinge is exactly the same with minimal fabrication But thats for a 32 truck Not sure if your hinges are the same .You might just have to buck up for the hinges ,

5. i think if you looked around at swap meets , ebay , craigslist, hamb classifieds you could fine some good usable hinges

before i'd spend that kind of money i'd make my own . there was as recent tech on doing this and they came out real nice. if i wasn't so lazy i'd find it for you . of course , you would need access to metal fabrication equipment

6. oh, yeah...try the Fordbarn too

7. FASI

FASI

Try Wescotts.............

8. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

nobody makes a cheap 30-31 coupe hinge

9. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

Check Brookville Roadster to see if they have anything that might work.

10. lowongas

lowongas

Checked a few places,no luck YET.I am sorry but 350.00 dollars isnt going out of my pocket for those hinges.The hunt continues....

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Look in the classified here I swear I saw selling 5 parts of hinges ,Its a start ,Saw it in the last 2 days Today is 9 12 10

12. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I have wescotts on my t roadster, i had to cut them because they didnt fit right, but dont get me wrong they are good quality

Did you look in MAC's??

13. David Chandler

David Chandler

Actually I do have a set of them. The most noticable thing is a wider gap between each half than the originals. Also the stock pins are junk as far as I'm concerned. The splines cut into the top end of the pin are too deep and will bind everything up if they are installed to the proper depth, as they go beyond the fixed section and into the moving part. I installed 1/4 inch bolts which fit nice and snug and have no noticable binding.
    Likewise I had to make an accomidation to make the wider gap between halfs work out. But considering the price difference, I felt it was worth it.
    Good Luck.

14. ewf

ewf
    from fl

I used them in my 28 they fit perfect the third time :)
    lots of cutting and trial and error.
    all went smooth after i made a jig to keep them level plumb and in line with each other.
    I would use them again they were thick enough to support the doors of a model a plus.

15. 29moonshine

29moonshine

look at a vw beatle hinge they worked on my 29 chevy with very little work

16. 41fastback

41fastback

If you plan on buying used hinges, plan on repairing them. You're not going to find hinges that aren't worn. So if you already have fixable ones might as well fix them. I went through a lot to fix mine but saved $$ not buying new ones.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423508

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Glovebox hinge? Door hinge? Under floor master cylinder door hinge? Lotsa hinges on a car.

18. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I used em, they are good quality for the price. ($50 a door)
    Just like anything else, take your time, and dont get ahead of yourself.
    [​IMG]

"they don't fit a 30 coupe, get the right hinges"
    Come on, seriously?

19. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

that's a roadster door, 30/31 coupe uses 3 hinges which are all quite different from one another, i have the speedway hinges, they don't fit and without quite a bit of work they won't even work and even with the time invested they work poorly

noone makes a good cheap hinge for 30/31 coupes, and even the repopped expensive hinges are a pain, roadster hinges on the other hand are repopped by alot of companies

if you don't care about the look of the hinges (which personally i think is a part of the looks of a model a coupe) use hidden hinges or any old thing you can find, but then he asked if the speedway hinges which are for open cars works on a 30 coupe, the answer is no, not without alot of modifing and even then they work poorly. they are made for a lighter smaller door with a different hinge attachment points

20. lowongas

lowongas

I was cruising through a Google search the other night and came across a set of hinges that MIGHT work.There for a 29/30 Chevy.I looked at the pics and they look damn close.We will see.....