Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hinge Pins for a Model A...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3blapcam, Sep 12, 2006.

1. 3blapcam

3blapcam
    from Austin, TX

Where's a good place to buy them that won't charge out the Wazooo? I was about to buy them from Mac's today @ $0.30/ea X Qty 6 = $1.80... plus $8.00 s/h + $2.00 fee (for ordering less than $20.00 worth).... do you see where I am going with this? I struggled with $12.00 for something that really cost the customer $1.80?! I went from buying them for retail to paying 7X the price delivered to my door. I just want 6 pins for a decent price. What's shipping worth on those? $1.20? Sorry if I sound cheap... I just think that's over the top.

Thanks for your help...... I just want to hang my doors!

Alec.

2. mecutem

mecutem

How many alan wrenches do you have laying around? For just janging the doors they work well until real pins are needed. 1/4 inch bolts work too but usually sloppy. Some house door pins fit good too. Steve

3. Get some stainless bolts.
    Long enough so the unthreaded portion is about right for the hinge pin.

Cut off the threads, round the bolt off both ends, cutting the hex head to round to simulate a stock hinge pin - do it in a lathe if you have access to one.

Or . . . leave just enough threads to engage a pal type nylock nut.
    Pal type nut defined as the hex portion is shorter than a normal nut or nylock.

Cut a simple round pattern in the hex of the bolt just for a good appearance.
    Install.

If 1/4" is sloppy, you may be able to knurl it with a lathe knurling tool to bring the diameter up a bit, but it may not last long.

Another option - and what I did with my 32's sloppy bores in the hinge casting - is to jig the hinge casting and drill to the next size bolt up.
    In my case, 5/16" worked just fine.

Keep in mind that a metric bolt may have just enough extra meat over 1/4" to make a good fit in a properly jigged and drilled casting.

In over 13 years of running the 32 no one has ever commented on the stainless bolts used for hinge pins.

4. kantgetnun

kantgetnun

If you want I have to make an order in the next week or two I can get them then mail them to you yo can paypal me the money or drop a couple bucks in an envelope let me know

5. 5window

5window

Hey,got three weeks? Mac's will bring stuff for no shipping to shows they attend-including Fall Carlisle (end of Sept) and the AACA show in Hershey,PA (1st week in October). I am going to both shows, and ordering stuff from Mac's. There's no sales tax if you pay CASH. So, if you want, PM me your shipping address and the part # and I'll buy you six pins and put them in the mail for just whatever the postage is. Then I'll e-mail you and you can send me payment. Hope this helps. Jeff

Oh, I'll need to know by the 20th so I can send in my order.

6. 3blapcam

3blapcam
    from Austin, TX

I've been using old hinge pins & nails but would like to attach them a little more permenantly.

C9 - Killer idea! I don't have access to a lathe, so I think I am gonna go the other routes suggested.

Kantgetnun & 5 Window... I can do either... I have a pay pal account and I can shoot you $3-$4.00 that way or good ol' green backs via USPS! Either one of ya'll, either way would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

Alec.

7. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

I ran through the same dilemma.

My soultion was to order more stuff i needed down the road, to cut down on shipping cost.....

8. kantgetnun

kantgetnun

its up to you I will be ordering in the next week or two hopefully I am trying to get my car done for the hunnert pm me if thats what you want to do and you can paypal me after I order that way I'm not holdin your funds up not like a couple bucks is a big deal but that way it'll save on some frustration too

9. twofosho

twofosho

I too have been thinking about drilling the hinges for stainless buttonhead allens and using a stainless locknut

10. 5window

5window

Model A hinge pins have a knurled section just below the cap which can be "interesting" to get to release,especially after 75 years or so. There have been lots of threads on lots of boards on how to do this, but there is a special tools-Mac's sells itfor about $20-that is supposed to work very well. If I were taking out my pins again,I'd buy it.

11. striper

striper

You should try shipping to Australia. Funny thing is, for most stuff I have bought from Macs or Speedway, it is still cheaper than I can buy off the shelf here - even after I pay shipping, convert to U.S. $ and pay a conversion fee. You guys don't know how good you've got it.

Pete

12. scarylarry

scarylarry

Damn this is a long way to go over 12 bucks.

13. 5window

5window

Only if you have 12 bucks. Here's a story. I needed door hinge screws for the A. Ordered them from Bratton's. They had a $10 minimum credit card order+ something weird, as everyone does,for shipping,all for a couple bucks of screws. Ordered on a Tuesday,got the package on Thursday. Screws as ordered,stuck in a mailer and sent regular mail for only the postage. That brought the charges down below the $10 minimum. Let me charge it anyway! Somebody there decided to think and to be fair and they wanted me to have the screws without the screwing. I have bought a lot form Mac's -mostly cause I can pick it up at shows,but I would HEARTILY recommend these folks at Bratton's.:)

14. 3blapcam

3blapcam
    from Austin, TX

Thanks guys for all your help! I have decided to just order some other things I was putting off ordering. I figured that was just the easiest thing to do and I would need those parts anyway...

Alec.