Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hillman Husky Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AldeanFan, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Have you seen this?

This car was built in the 60's and restored by a family member after a long journey to find it.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

[​IMG]
    Last night we set the engine in place.
    We have to move a brake line away from the header but everything else appears to have good clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Last night I made a hole.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Funny thing, I was at an estate sale and there was a Hillman Husky for sale. It looked to be in real good condition and I was already thinking about a frame for it. I was all excited and before I could get a chance to see the price, I woke up. Lol. Seriously, that is what I dreamed last night. I hate those kind of dreams. I'll be thinking about it all day and probably start going to more Estate Sales.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

[​IMG]
    Tank mounted, plumbing and wiring next.
    That bumper is from a Crosley.

6. This is looking awesome guys

loudbang likes this.
  7. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

“ROLLING ROCK “.................Little Green Meanies. Remember them well !!!!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Headlights, need ideas.

So we have no headlight hardware or anything at all besides two big holes.
    I need to figure out something for headlights that doesn’t look silly and doesn’t cost much. It’s a track only car so lights would be for night racing.

Any suggestions?

loudbang likes this.
  9. rudestude

rudestude
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I can kind of show you what the original one's look like.
    I had a 57 Hillman Husky project that I sold a couple years ago and strangely I kept the headlight bucket assemblies.....
    But I used them in building some headlight buckets for my 50 Chevrolet Bel-Air HT. They worked out great it will allow me to remove and adjust the headlight from the front on a tunneled and frenched headlight set up..
    Maybe from these pictures you can see the parts your looking for.
    I used the Hillman bucket witch has 3 spring loaded screws in it for mounting the base ring and for the adjustments,
    The base ring has 3 slotted holes that allows it to be mounted to the bucket with a twist and for adjusting then the stainless ring holds the headlight to the base..
    Then I welded the assembly into a sleeve/bucket and welded a 57 ford headlight ring to that and used a 54 Mercury stainless ring to cover everything on the inside.
    Then the complete assembly is to be welded to the fender giving me frenched, tunneled headlights that can be accessed from the front. 1581483484218~2.jpeg 1581483583892~2.jpeg 1581483673237~2.jpeg 1581483853284~2.jpeg 1581484009125~2.jpeg 1581484142865~2.jpeg 1581484360827~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  10. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

That’s excellent, thanks!
    Swap meet season is coming so hopefully we can find something.

rudestude and loudbang like this.
  11. southcross2631

southcross2631

There's an early Morris Minor at the salvage yard I go to. If it ever stops raining in Tn. I can check on them for you. Should be similar .
    Send me a PM if you want me to check them out.

12. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

20200213_011727.jpg 20200213_011706.jpg

I love these "Gassers" that are based on small foriegn car bodies. I have a late '50s Austin A35 van (like attached photo) that I am dreaming of using as a basis for a vintage style Gasser. What I'm concerned about is whether this car would generally be acceptable, with regards to its wheelbase. I'm not too fond of the cars with extended wheelbase, with the axle in front of the body.

It's my understanding that NHRA rules of the past required a 90 inch minimum wheelbase. (This is equal to an Anglia's wheelbase; I'm not sure if by coincidence, or it was purposefully set to accommodate Anglias.) I realize there have been various Hillmans, Morris Minors, etc. running as Gassers, maybe not with monster, blown, and/or nitro-fueled engines. The wheelbase of these are several inches short of the NHRA rule. I'm not sure yet of the specific engine I'd use in my Austin (80" wheelbase), but it will be gas fueled, unblown, and less than 305 cid. Maybe even an in-line OHV four, as these are permitted in the local track's flathead class, which has handicapped starts. So, I'm not sure whether the wheelbase rules are generally waived for low powered, vintage style cars. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    34 GAZ and loudbang like this.
  13. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Thanks for the offer but shipping to Canada would probably make it too expensive.

loudbang likes this.
  14. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

You’d have to verify with both the track and the racing series you plan to run with.
    The track sets the rules for safety and tech inspection. If you’re not competing then they’re the only rules you need to follow.
    Many of the safety rules are dependent on speed.

The racing series will have different rules again so check with them too.

As for extending the wheel base, you could add some length funnycar style by moving the wheel openings, assuming you don’t mind body work.

15. southcross2631

southcross2631

Southeast Gassers allows 1 inch on both ends of the car which will make it a whopping 82 inches.
    My Morris had an 87 inch W.B. which is like a Limo compared to your Austin.
    you could hide the extra length in the nose without it looking out of proportion ,of course you must be prepared for some body work.
    Adding the extra room up front gives you more options as far as power for the car.

ottoman likes this.
  16. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

This crazy beast lives!
    We fired it up tonight, just for a moment, will break in the cam on Friday.

After a lot of adjusting of timing we discovered the coil wire was loose and would break contact when moving the distributor. Our friend Mike solve the issue with a zip tie and it fired up and sounds mean!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rudestude, James D and loudbang like this.
  17. Shane P

Shane P

I am going to try and add a link to the video of the engine actually running rather than just a picture. Sounds awesome

loudbang likes this.
  18. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Now we have a YouTube channel, here’s the first successful start.
    Someone put the timing sticker on backwards so we had some trouble setting the timing.
    Now it’s running pretty good but may need some carb work.

Shane P and loudbang like this.