Register now to get rid of these ads!

hillborn injection on the street?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trvguy, Jan 7, 2011.

1. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  2. HiHelix

HiHelix

I would not recommend a hilborn for the street. Hilborns have a tendency not to like stop light activity(idling)
    Enderles are better but have basically the same issues. I would recommend a throttle body injector. They are easy to tune and tare available for up to approx 1500 HP.
    Mechanical injection systems using a barrel valve usually are not street friendly .

henryj1951 likes this.
  3. HiHelix

HiHelix

I am looking for a 4 inch tall 4 port 3inch dia. if you have one laying around.

henryj1951 likes this.
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Did you read ANY of the posts on the last page? EVEN ONE??? No huh?
    Thanks for the 100% useless input, I'll keep it in mind...:rolleyes:

gary terhaar likes this.
  5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

All interesting info! I understand how a wide band sensor works on a full exhaust system but how would you install on a set of Zoomy's? Or if running short collectors would you have to have 2? I have a reason for asking and this pertains to the InstaJet. Thanks!

6. Running mechanical on the street is work. There is a price to pay for cool.

I personally prefer belt driven pump, most of the time you have to buy a pump anyway. I don't like an adjusto-jet or dial-o-jet because I don't like fuel in the cabin and neither do most governing bodies, sprint cars excluded here. A car that is running mechanical injection and doesn't get raced is just a poser by my way of thinking, uh offense intended. The work involved to run mechanical on the street just for the sake of being cool is way too much for me. ;)

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Benno, if this comes to pass, its going in a sixties style T-bucket hot rod, so its TOTALLY un-race-able at ANY NHRA sanctioned track anyway, and my local track is very "by the book". I would have to do the car in such a way that it would be unrecognizable from what I am planning now, and then there would be no reason to run the hilborns, or a 327, or camel bumps, or Corvette valve covers, or....
    I could run it once a year at the Billetproof deal in WA, but running it at Mission is out of the question unless I built a modern altered, then why would I run the hilborns?
    You aren't going to like my transmission choice either...;):D

mad mikey likes this.
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I haven't given that any consideration, I would never run zoomies on any N/A combo.

9. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

That's the ""COOL "". Factor , that not all can do ,
    Dial o jet can be moved out side of cockpit,
    Fabercation Skill's are required ,

QUOTE="brigrat, post: 11725250, member: 42788"]All interesting info! I understand how a wide band sensor works on a full exhaust system but how would you install on a set of Zoomy's? Or if running short collectors would you have to have 2? I have a reason for asking and this pertains to the InstaJet. Thanks![/QUOTE]

O2 does not care if it full exaust or zommy's
    I would say that the 02 tells the Insajet witch controls the , ( I do not now for shure if it replaces the Barrel Valve or controls the fule presser or volume )
    I whet to web site ,not much there !

But I can think of other way's to do ,then I did back in 1990
    With a Mechanical Pump

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

O2 does not care if it full exaust or zommy's
    I would say that the 02 tells the Insajet witch controls the , ( I do not now for shure if it replaces the Barrel Valve or controls the fule presser or volume )
    I whet to web site ,not much there !

But I can think of other way's to do ,then I did back in 1990
    With a Mechanical Pump[/QUOTE]
    It doesn't replace the barrel valve, the barrel valve is visible in some of the other videos I looked at, but didn't post. It appears to basically vary the main pill automatically based on feedback from the O2 sensor.
    I am still looking at both possibilities as well, either a fully mechanical system or an Instajet based system. I am doing my homework and keeping an open mind.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Is there a problem officer?

[​IMG]

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I called the InstaJet ph#ber only to be told it's no longer in service, did a google search and found a post on Bang Shift & Hot Rod's from 2014, nothing newer. May be it worked so well Hilborn, Holley or Eddy bought him out!

"I haven't given that any consideration, I would never run zoomies on any N/A combo."
    Falcongeorge, I was referring to what I want to do not what your doing! I still don't understand how you could run 02 just on one Zoomy, that would just tell you that cyl. and not be monitoring the other 7, where am I wrong?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  13. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It may just boil down to witch cylinder you pick to put the O2 sensor for best results.

16. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

1 O2 would give a Base line !!!
    Nozzle jet for each cylinder (For tuneing)
    Read YOUR PLUGS
    I'm assuming some do not understand ,because they never ran mechanical injection !!!
    I have run Gas & Alky up to 16 nozzles

Insta Jet #(570) 885-1229

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

He has instajets on ebay right now.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hilborn-End...taJet-Electronic-Control-System-/222157404791
    You could try contacting him there and asking for a current phone number.
    If you are talking about running a N/A aspirated stack mechanical fuel injection, there shouldn't be any meaningful cylinder to cylinder fuel distribution issues, so yes, I would think that one o2 sensor would work. if you are running a blower, and injecting all the fuel at the top, then I would say you are going to have issues doing that.
    I would never run zoomies on a N/A application, I am not willing to leave 30-35 ft lbs on the table.

18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It's a Hydroplane with Hiborn & Zoomy's, that's why I ask!
    I will check out E-Bay, but if I can't talk to him on the phone I am not interested.....................................

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Totally understand that, I feel the same way.
    Is the hydro blown or N/A? If its blown, like salt flats says, I would look at the plugs, and put the O2 sensor on the cylinder that reads the leanest. Then you shouldn't burn it down.

20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

N/A
    The class I run in allows SBC tripower or Injection. I have had this Hilborn for sale BUT if I can make it user/driver friendly I would like to pursue that avenue. Not looking to be a "poser" but looking to NOT spending all my time between heats working on the damn thing but driving it a lot.
    E-Bay add says "made for racing" interesting............................

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If its an 8 stack setup I would think you would be fine with the o2 sensor in one pipe. How do the plugs look, do the cylinders all look even?
    I just saw the setup you have for sale in the classifieds looks like a pretty good deal for someone that wants to play with this stuff.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

From HenryJ's link...
    [​IMG]

Look at the third paragraph. "pulling the fuel shut-off" could be the simplest system if used in conjunction with an o2 sensor and a gauge. Just don't forget to push it all the way in before you go WOT!!!:eek::confused:

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I wonder if one of these pumps could be used with a regulator controlled by manifold pressure. 0902chp_18_z+mechanical_and_electric_fuel_pump_buyers_guide+race_pumps_billet_piston_fuel_pumps.jpg

24. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Insta Jet phone #(570) 885-1229
    I email him yesterday, I was told to call after 4pm est

falcongeorge likes this.
  25. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I have been calling the number on his web site and his add on BS which is listed as 1-570-885-1129. Funning how your number is one digit off................................................

26. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

That # is what was sent in the return with email, to call after 4 pm est
    I called afew times it was Busy

RE: More information on your insta jet
    Ed. Call 570 885 1229 after 4 pm est

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

28. HiHelix

HiHelix

Pardon me , do you have any Grey Poupon!?

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, I do, as a matter of fact. No Volvo though. So, did you go back and read anything?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  30. bundoc bob

bundoc bob

If you have access to the early mopar performance papers, they did a lot of work
    on hilborn stack FI on 426 hemis in the early days of funny cars. Haven't look at
    this stuff in years but my memory is that the effort was to make it more responsive
    throughout the rev range. It was still all mechanical. Probably worth a read.

falcongeorge likes this.