Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hillbilly open drive conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Truckedup, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup

This is the open drive conversion I just made for the rear engine V8-60 car with a banjo rear.
    Made with what I had laying around like Willy Jeeps yokes bored out to accept turn down Ford coupler and front u joint half......Shortened Jeep driveshaft, cut down torque tube and tranny rear bearing retainer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

3. Using you head and your parts - nice job!

4. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

That is what I was wondering about.no reason the slip in the middle shouldn't work.I was looking for hours yesterday to see if I could find I if anyone had done one like this. All I could find was talking about changing the shaft and bearing retainer.

5. There are a couple links in this thread

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408514&highlight=open+drive

When searching look for "open drive". Lots of threads on the HAMB

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Looks nce! I'm still curious as to why you didn't just shorten the closed driveline though?

And... you may know this already, but your axle housings are on upside down.

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

My experience is more with Jeeps and their short driveshafts. The modified shaft is 9 inches between U -joint centers. I wasn't sure such a short torque would work as well. And I was missing the clam shell parts....
    And contrary to what I was told a one inch 6 spline agriculture pto coupling doesn't fit a V8 60 tranny.
    Yes, the axles are flipped side to side because I want a spring in front for space issues. And considering the limited axle travel a 6 inch arch will work ok in the rear..
    While I'm on springs, and I have searched...I need a shop to make a low arch rear spring with maybe four leaves ... And doesn't cost 400 bucks and will ship it to me.. :D

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Gotcha... Yea, V8-60 stuff is different.

You still need to flip those housings side for side or your shackles with hit the perch. They are upside down.

9. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Good catch! DD

10. Truckedup

Truckedup

Oh that problem :eek:....Like I said, I don't much about old Fords :D This will be the third time pulling the axle housings... First time to have a look, second time to replace the seals that I didn't know about.... And now another time...
    So three times makes me an expert :rolleyes:

11. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

For personal knowledge, what is involved with shortening a drive shaft? Got a Model T project and I need a driveshaft to fit.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. I just tossed a '56 F-100 4 speed driveshaft with the same (looking) slip joint in the scrap pile. Should I dig it out?

13. olskool34

olskool34

I want your engine! Nice job on the conversion.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, that looks like the bolts were pulled from the center section and the bells were just rotated 180deg.

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You should also know that the paper gaskets between the bells and center section come in different thicknesses and that is what sets pinion gear lash. Don't think it helps to measure and replace with the same (typical with a rebuild) here because you're swapping bells so working with different tolerances. I THINK you might be at square one here.

16. Truckedup

Truckedup

It's pretty obvious that with no mechanical means of adjustment the gaskets would be the only way to set lash and bearing adjustment. The bearings and gears are very worn so all proper clearances are out the window.. It has to do for now, the objective being to get a running vehicle by summer. Then deal with the gears...or not...

I still get a kick out of goofing up the axle housings. I had marked them left and right and still messed up the swap...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  17. TERPU

TERPU

Yes! It'll fit the Ford Banjo and makes an easy open drive piece.

Tim

18. dtracy

dtracy

Make sure you end up with the ring gear on the driver's side of the pinion or you will only have one forward speed. But, you will have three in reverse which would be cool!

Dave.

19. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Marking them is probably why you messed them up. when you want to run the spring in front of the rear axle like that you have to swap the axle housings from one side to the other. when you keep them on the same side they just end up upside down... live and learn!

what kind of body and frame is going around this little contraption anyway! It's a cool start to something.

20. Truckedup

Truckedup

I swapped the axle housings today... The gears are uglier than I thought..Make a note to look for free gears :D

I posted back a few months ago about this build. My race bike rider has an eccentric collection of all sorts of vehicles. He bought a static display belly/drop tank lakester car off Ebay. Skinny F86 wing tank.. It had no real frame, suspension or steering but a good V-8 engine and a front and rear axle.

So this car lump winds up in my shop...He gave me a bike in trade for some labor and materials....Most of my build experience is building motorcycles...And old Jeeps...
    The frame will follow the tank outline, simple 1-1/4 x 4 inch steel tube, some what horizontal radiator in the back over between the engine and rear axle.
    But plans are flexible and mostly I just use free metal.:D
    Next is finding a shop to build me reasonable cost springs.....I'm learning this Ford shit as I go....Spring over, spring in front or behind, perch center lines and spring length and all that......