Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hilborns for street use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flattop, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Flattop

Flattop

Which magazine printed the article about the original hilborn unit that was driven on the street, I believe it used a belt-driven pump. This wasn't an EFI converted unit.

Thanks,

Flattop

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

H.R.M.--September 1986

3. Flattop

Flattop

Thanks for the info. I'll try to find it, but there was an article a couple of years ago and I can't remember which mag it was in. I've got the mag somewhere and can't find it among the others I have squirreled away. With three sons and several car "friends" things sometimes disappear over the horizon. Again, thanks!

Flattop

4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

John Buttera also engineered a Hilborn set-up for his son Chris's 69 Camaro a couple years before that. I'm sure it was covered in HOT ROD (about 1983-84?), but was also featured in a HOT ROD Chevrolet High Performance book...thick book with a brown cover that had a photo of a white tunnel-rammed small block with gold valve covers.

(Had that book YEARS ago, but loaned it out and it never came back!:mad: )

Buttera came up with a slick way to prime the injectors for street use by mounting a small Moon tank under the hood with a Holley carburetor float bowl attatched to the front! There was a fuel line run to the inlet fitting on the bowl, and the float shut off the fuel flow when the mini tank reached the desired level. From what I recall, the tank supplied gravity assisted fuel flow to the injectors for start-up, but I don't remember all the specifics.

At any rate, Chris drove the car successfully on the street with the Hilborn injection, so Lil John did figure out a way to make it work. In short, yes, it can be done!

5. Flattop

Flattop

Thanks again!

Flattop

6. nitro29

nitro29

Kinsler fuel injection have a couple of book that have some articles on how to set up for the street

7. Flattop

Flattop

8. I've got that book,look in the Hamb Classifieds.

Hot Rod (I think) did another article on mechanical injection for the street,early to mid '70s.Guy had injection in a Fad T. Probably easier
    in a light car with a big motor.

9. Andy P

Andy P
    from UK

There was an article in The Rodder's Digest last year. It wasn't that great, but scan it for you if you like. Let me know.

10. nitro29

nitro29

In one of the early Hot Rod Engine Books There was an article about an Injected Hemi that was run on the street in aT Bucket had an early Hydro with a fuel cutoff Seemed to know what he was doing Will look for the book and see I can send you the article .

11. raffman

raffman

Without converting to EFI Ican't imagine it being very streetable. They were made for racing WOT pretty much all the time. I've looked into it and settled on the new hillborn EFI unit can't wait to get it runnin

12. Actually pete jackson makes a stepped barrel valve and has for years. it gives you a mid range and top end. I don't he intended it for street use and it comes in several variations, but it makes a street driven hilborn or other injection unit a lot more drivable.

13. Flattop

Flattop

Appreciate everyone's help. i believe the article in Rodder's Digest may be the one I had seen. Again, many thanks to everyone!

Flattop

14. SimonSez

SimonSez

He may have intended it for street use. There was an article in an old Hot Rod yearbook that had his street driven fuel injected Ranchero. He used the choke knob to adjust the barrel valve on the fly.

15. Hmmm I wasn't aware.

16. Gemini EFI

Gemini EFI

Hilborn sells the bypasses necessary to make a Hilborn work well on the street. The parts to do the well will cost about $2200.00 You can set the barrel valve pretty easily using a leak down guage. I sell EFI for lots of nostalgia engines if your intersted in that approach.msmbob@yahoo.com

17. Flattop

Flattop

Really would like to stay away from the high dollar items, if possible. May have to just run it WOT all the time....or in short bursts! Thanks for your help guys.

Flattop