Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hilborn Injection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RatRoy, Sep 1, 2010.

  1. RatRoy
    Joined: Jul 9, 2008
    Posts: 371


    A friend of mine is installing a 392 Hemi in his 41 Plymouth and it has a mid 1970's Hilborn Injection system and pump on the motor. What is required to convert this system to a street-able system. I have heard someone makes a kit that includes a MAP senor and pump that will allow the injectors to be drivable on the street. Anybody got any ideas on which way to go?????:confused:
  2. Rob Kozak
    Joined: Aug 18, 2005
    Posts: 442

    Rob Kozak

    I assume it's a mechanical injection?
    Yes it can be converted to an EFI. Call Hilborn.
    Can you make a mech system streetable? Yes, but as some one told me once "Being cool aint easy or cheap but it's damn fun!".

    If you're looking to make it "streetable" you just need to understand mfi. It's really simple and that's why people fuck it up so much.
    Your best bet is to call hilborn and tell them what you are doing and they can ball park you.
  3. neverdun
    Joined: Oct 17, 2007
    Posts: 672

    1. Maryland HAMBers

    I am in the process of tuning a 392 with a 671 and a enderle birdcatcher. Like Rob said, be patient. You can get it to be driveable or raceable but not both. We are 1 flat away from dead on, fat or lean on gas. It is one bad mother though.
  4. Rob Kozak
    Joined: Aug 18, 2005
    Posts: 442

    Rob Kozak

    With an enderle system I found a way to do both.
    It takes some messing with but if you change four of your eight hat nozzels to port check nozzel bodies ( Check Bodies ) you can make it a three circuit system. You'll need shims to vary when the fuel comes in.
    You idle off of two then have two more come in off idle then at full throttle the rest come in. You'll need a largeer set of nozzels for the first two. It takes some experimenting.
    I had to fire the motor several times with a long hose and the port check nozzels off and in a coffee can (ONE CIRCUIT AT A TIME). This way you can taylor when the fuel comes in. You'll need to cut the springs on some and add shims to others but it works great!!
    Then whwn you want to race put your reg nozzels back in and re-set the b-valve.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

  5. farmer12
    Joined: Aug 28, 2006
    Posts: 7,718


    Certainly give Hilborn a call, they'll be able to point you and your friend in the right direction. Small world, I'm also dropping a 392 in a 41 Plymouth.( this engine has EFI. ) Would love to see some pics if you have them. Good luck. Here's a pic of my 392.

    Attached Files:

  6. willys1330
    Joined: Jun 21, 2007
    Posts: 111


    Talk to Bob @ Imagine Injection 602-377-4093 . They can help you out and convert what you have.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.