Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Highland quickchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hugh m, Nov 27, 2012.

1. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Setting up a locally made Highland quickchangeto go under my T modified, and thought some of you might like to see what it looks like. These were used in Modified racing for years, up until the seventies, I would guess, and were made up the road in Springfield, Mass. This one came from the old Riverside track, also in Mass, but they were used all over. Had full floating hubs, Buick brakes, and was big time heavy. Took 3 of us to load it, one leg with an axle in it weighs 93 lbs. Am changing out the legs to some newer ones that I had installed spring hangers on a couple of years ago. The buick stuff is shot, so will probably use some wide five Ford drums, and backing plates that are laying around. Plus they are like 15 lbs. lighter. All the Ford stuff was riveted in, even the ring gear, I needed to use a Gleason locker I also had around. ( was afraid to mix and match ring and pinions) The cold chisel got a workout. Have one more leg to remove, using a forklift, because we don't have a press. Works well. Will try to post shots of the completed rear as well. By the way, anyone have any tricks to loosen stuck brake shoes?

Attached Files:

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It looks a lot like my old Frankland unit.

Attached Files:

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The Banjo is stock Ford with the QC welded on in the Highland? I can see the Frankland is welded on..I found a Highland rear cover at the scrapyard years ago but never could find the rest..

4. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That's the first fabricated Frankland I have seen, they appear to be virtual twins...wonder which came first? They also made a quickie that fits the v/8 automotive bells, also fabricated. Have a cover for one of those too, but nothing else. Guess there's still a few around.