Register now to get rid of these ads!

*** High School Hot Rods ***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29-a-freak, Jun 10, 2007.

1. 29-a-freak

29-a-freak

Me and my granddad were talkin today and he was tellin me about a 34' 3 window coupe he had back in the day when he was in high school!
    So do any of you guys got any good High School Hot Rod stories or pics???

Tyler

2. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Tyler,
    you should build a '34 like he had back in the day with him. That would be such an awesome experience to have with your Grandfather...and a great way for his legacy to live on with you....maybe you could learn a couple of things from him too?

I don't have any good highschool hot rod stories. I do wish I could build a hotrod with my grandfather though.

3. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

have any pics of his coupe you can post? would love to see it....

John Joyo...

4. 29-a-freak

29-a-freak

Yea...not on the computer there all old and britle but it was cool he sold it about 7 years ago he had it rebuilt and painted and all boyded out!...i got recent pics tho...but orig. it had a full race flatty in it....hes gettin on up there in the years an its hard for him to get around now...but it would be awsome just to let him ride in it one more time.....he cryed for two days after he got rid of it...his names J.C Jarrett from Calhoun GA...

5. 29-a-freak

29-a-freak

Hold on i'll try to go find some pics...

6. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

When i was in high school (98-02) my daily was a 66 chevelle 4 door, weekend car was 67 chevelle in flat primer, then i had a thrown together 81 malibu, and a 73 corvette

7. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

I drove a 47 Ford pick-up with a flathead and no bed. We had to add lead additive to the gas and the gas cap seemd so insignificant my brother and I would leave it on the running board. We spent hours driving around town searching for that cap many times. Thei was from about 91 to 93.
    I went to college and my Dad chopped the top, sub framed it put in a 305...it is a much sweeter ride now...I will put some pics up soon!

8. Hotrods?---Well no, not really. The model A was bone stock, traded a wooden row boat for it and drove it in grade 10, about 1962 or 63. The 52 chev was stock except for a removed grill insert, visor, and a brushed on "royal blue" enamel paint job. I paid $50 for it, and drove it in grade 12, about 1964.

Attached Files:

9. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

here's my ole 3 window from 1984 or so!

Attached Files:

10. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

68-71 I had a 59 chevy 2 dr sedan[283], then a 58 ford fairlane 390/4spd,traded for a 31 model a 348 with 3 ducks, sold and bought a 70 440 GTX.

11. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

in 1965 my 1st car was a 47 chev 2 dr sedan, 1st car I put a clutch in, painted with mom's vaccum cleaner, 1st time with Sheila McCabe in the front seat, and 1st car I totaled. good times, good times!

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My first car was a '40 Ford coupe. It is currently leaking on the driveway, awaiting some repairs to get it back to daily driver status.

By the way, Flat-Top, I remember that old coupe fondly. Good to see it again.

13. hemifarris

hemifarris

This is old news to most of you but I drove my '34 Ford Victoria to high school in 1962. I was 17 and a junior in school. I still own and drive the car several times a week along with my roadster. It's one of my favorite cars that I own today. I've changed its looks,paint and running gear since the 60's. It's all steel with never any rust....Mike

Attached Files:

14. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

1975, my first car 1939 Deluxe Ford Coupe, sporting a flathead with aluminum heads, three duces, Harmon and Collins mag and a 411 rear end.

I still have it scattered between the yard and garage.

15. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

My firsr car was a 1960 Studebaker lark 4 door, 289R1 moter lincoln 3peed with over drive, Stude pickup rear end with deeeeep gears.
    Chassis jacked suspension: front raised 4inches left side 2 inches right, rear raised 2 inches left. Handles like shit , but went like a bat out of hell in a drag race. Interior was front split bench only. inner front sheet metal revoved. Girlfreind at the time dad was a professional fed racer, so she understood.

Sadly I have no pictures of the car only lot of fond memorys street racing on Bunker lake road north of Anoka Mn.

16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Hemiferris...
    that 34 is just beautiful!
    I would be very proud of it too.
    Wow!

17. Here's my ride through highschool, I bought my '34 pickup when I was 13, I went to school with Keith Tardel, therefore I worked on my truck over at Vern's house. I have recently pulled it out of storage after 13 years and am rebuilding it completely (still need rain gutters if anyone has any). My plans are 302/C4 (maybe AOD), P&J 4"drop, unsplit bones, winters v8 q/c on bags.

Attached Files:

18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Here's mine, a 56 Dodge Coronet... Kept it from 62 till 68

Attached Files:

19. My first real car was a 51 ford country squire, yes the drive in was fun until the usher came around with a flashlight. So needless to say I did not get what I wanted and her mom was probably real happy about that. Rags

20. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

:) I bought my 32 5 window when I was in high school, I was 16, I still have the car 46 years later, it was metalflake blue with black and white pleat and roll ,whitewalls and a modified 4 banger. I drove it to school every day and to prom, my son drove it to his prom in 88, I drove it back to my 40th high school reunion, fun! It looks different today but I still enjoy it

Attached Files:

21. kustomkat

kustomkat

<---------------------- That was one of them.... It was just a little more beat up then. And a little slower with a 6 cylinder. But ALWAYS been lower than "silhouettes57"

22. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

here's mine

Attached Files:

23. thrasher

thrasher

here is my high school ride.
    oh, and i graduated last year

Attached Files:

24. Here is my high school hot rod. I drug this thing home when I was 15 (back in 1972) with no engine or trans. When I was done, it had a 301 SBC, Crane cam, Edelbrock Tarantula intake, 650 Holley with a Muncie 4 speed, a 57 Pontiac rear with 557 gears (I know, what was I thinking). we gave it a half - assed back yard paint job. Honduras maroon. Finished it up with 775-15 tires on skinny Cragers the front and L60-15 on the back.
    here is a picture from around 1975....
    [​IMG]

here's a shot of it today. Its waiting for its next reincarnation....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  25. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

My High School car (about 10 yrs. ago)was a '64 Nova I bought from my Grandpa. My dad and I put a small block in it. I had the fastest car in school!:cool:....and the oldest.:rolleyes:

26. 2002p51

2002p51

I got my license in '64 when I was a sophmore. I bought a bone stock '54 Chevy 2-door sedan for $50. I put a Hurst floor shift kit in it and thought I was the ultimate hot rodder! I took it to the drags and was thrilled with the 21 second time slips!
    But the best part was the student parking permit in the window. That meant I didn't have to ride the school bus anymore with the "little kids". It was a huge status thing in my high school in those days and instantly put me in a different social class.

27. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Her is my 49 fastback I bought when I was 17 in 98. Drove it till 2002 and it has looked like this ever since.

Attached Files:

28. SHRUM

SHRUM

Dad bought me a 51 ford sedan,drove it around for awhile and decided to put a small block in it. built the motor,got a trans put it all in and the trans sliped. So I sold the motor to a stock car racer,ended up selling the car to my cousin. This past march after 10 years I bought it back from him and I am finishing up the chop on it. and Hopefully will have it done sometime with in the decade. Kinda finish what I started in high school.

29. My 30 roadster, 303 Olds with a Hydramatic and a Pontiac rear end. This is about '64. I painted it Corvette Yellow lacquer a few months later with the help of Jim Grant, from the Riverside Roadsters club. This was a great group of guys I really looked up to, and they were real good to us high school punks.

[​IMG]

This is my dad when HE was in High School. I've posted this before: He's 17 years old, it's 1939, and he just turned a little over 100 mph at Harper Lake.

[​IMG]

30. hemi

hemi

I had a primered VW with a fiberglass front end, no interior, a half roll cage and a beefy motor with dual carbs and a stinger.... and a tool box.