Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods High or low tail lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 392, Feb 1, 2018.

1. 392

image.jpeg image.jpeg I'm asking for opinions on tail light locations. I've searched past threads but no luck. On my Tudor I've got a set of early Plymouth lights that I've mocked up. I'm hingeing on 37 fords with simple short stand off of frame. Some say higher for visibility. What do you think.

48fordnut likes this.
  2. they look great there!

3. Terrible80

Terrible80

Frankly , I don't like them there. Will you run fenders? If not , I'd flush mount something on the rear body. You've got a very smooth body there with those sticking out in the breeze.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Automotive Stud and Roys40 like this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Your lights look great up there. I had some Desoto tail lights (38? 39?) for awhile that looked very similar but sold them. They were also considerably larger in diameter than 37 Ford units and I also planned to use them up high some how. I'm all for doing anything to increase tail and brake light visibility and overall brightness, including LEDs. I've run up on rods at night that still must use OE bulbs and have their lights mounted very low, even under the bumpers. It's a wonder more aren't rear ended coming home from shows. I also think low intensity lighting has another negative effect, they make the car using them appear to be further down the road than it actually is. IE, a dim light looks further away, further improving the chances of being run over accidentally by a car that can't see you well and can't gauge your speed or the distance correctly. Gary

telekenfun and Hnstray like this.

5. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

High and smooth

elcamino59 and chop job like this.
  6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I'd mount a pair of 1950 Pontiacs about four inches under that seem.. I don't like them sticking out like that..

Automotive Stud and Clay Belt like this.
  7. car doctor

car doctor

I don't like them there either. My vote would be to mount them low.

badgascoupe likes this.
  8. pitman

pitman

Seen LED strip set low in the rear window, as an added visible STOP. I would go with lower lights IN the body rear panel corners.

cad-lasalle likes this.
  9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I like them right there. Visible but unobtrusive.

10. I'd put the lights down on the frame where they belong.

I wouldn't worry about visibility too much; people run into late models and semi's all time; gotta know it isn't about inadequate lighting.

11. Been wondering the same thing for my sedan.....interested to see what you come up with.
    I'm thinking down low on mine with a discreet 3rd brake light.

telekenfun, Fordors and clem like this.
  12. zzford

zzford

Depends on what you want. high = better visibility/ low = cool looking.
    Remember, which would you WISHED you had chosen if you got rear ended because some clown didn't see your brake lights?

GordonC likes this.
  13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with ZZ on this one. Plus if your running fenders it might change the visual so you might want to hang one temporarily too see how it looks. Low may be cool and all but I would rather keep my car from getting rear ended by some asshat on a cell phone because he didn't see your brake lights!

6-bangertim likes this.
  14. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

After studying the pics for a few minutes to get a real opinion, my take is they don't look good sticking out like that, or anywhere in that application. Vintage flush mounted lights of some type would look great on a fenderless car such as yours, the options are endless.

trollst and Clay Belt like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

I once rearended a modernish minivan that has it's tail/brake lights up high, not down where I expect them to be. I vote low, for better visibility.

16. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Drop them down, look like something stuck on as an afterthought up high. They would look better on the frame rails.

trollst likes this.
  17. car doctor

car doctor

Friend of mine has a 29 a sedan with lights mounted high. He got rear-ended with-in the first month of having the car on the road! I also think it ruined the looks of the car, looked like two bug eyes.

18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I am assuming that there is other sheet metal that covers the gas tank, hides the frame rails
    and finishes off the back of the car. Install that piece and then figure out where the lights should go.
    Doesn't look good as it is now with the lights. Looks like a 1950's "add on" bling.

19. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

mount them lower ,up high looks like you will need to chop some off the roof to look ok there.

20. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

i like em. they almost mimic the front, just smaller versions of the headlights. Everyone puts them low and flush, why not be different

zzford likes this.
  21. My own personal taste is low mount, but I think that high mount for that type of light is more traditional. I like it fine the way it is if my opinion has any value for ya.

22. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I don't like them sticking out like that anywhere.

Just Gary likes this.
  23. robracer1

robracer1

Everyone goes low, be different go high, looks good and please don't put a stupid looking third brake on it.

24. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

it’s different. that can be nice. and you can try something different later if you want.

25. zzford

zzford

No matter where the brake lights are located, there is some that will NEVER see 'em.

26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

im agreeing with this man.,but if you are running in built up areas use LED S the average smart phone user expects it

27. I like them as low as you can go but it's your car,put them on top if you want! :D HRP

28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I agree, but since you asked, I'll offer my opinon, which is that stuck on out there on the corners, they look like an afterthought, almost like those lights you sometimes see stuck on the rear deck of a disabled car being towed.
    I think iof you could somehow find some lights that you could flush mount sorta just under, or even in, that beltline across the back it would look better and be more visible than the low mounts.

Terrible80 likes this.
  29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I would mount a little lower, about halfway down from where they are to the bottom of body..Make a tubular adapter to mount lights, in my pics I used 51 Ford Station wagon lights with adapter made from exhaust tubing to match fender contour..Or slight recess if you choose.. In my case I should have mounted them a little higher [with shorter adapters]; like nearer to bottom of license plate..I mounted a led third brake light at top of rear window up against the rubber on the inside with out a housing, just the bulbs..Don't notice them unless they are on..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Elcohaulic likes this.
  30. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have to go with the "lower" comments. Here's an off the wall comment: get in your OT car and park behind it. Lower them as far as you can and still be clearly visible.

seb fontana likes this.