Register now to get rid of these ads!

High-End / Low-Slung

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jun 23, 2017.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

High-End / Low-Slung

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

kidcampbell71, dana barlow and HEMI32 like this.
  2. about 15 to 20 years ago, maybe more, Mavroff sold the car. Supposedly, the car was sold to some one in Iowa.
    The car was built outside in the driveway alongside of his parents house in West Allis, Wisconsin. Only time it was in a garage was for paint and upholstery.
    Mavroff was a mason by trade. The skills needed to weld, fabricate, wire, apply body solder and engineer were learned as he built the 34.
    In the early 60's the 34 was driven to car shows in South Dakota, Minnesota and Detroit, some during winter snowstorms.
    Mavroff's intent was to build a hot rod with 60's modern auto conveniences, comfort and reliability.
    As we watched the 34 being built, it gave us the idea that things can be done different and better.
    Here is a picture of the 34, taken at the first Milwaukee, Wi. Rodorama car show, 1954, held outdoors at the Milwaukee South Shore Boat Club. This was the first version as a typical 50's hot rod, flathead, 39 trans etc.
    scan0029.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  3. Love it! My favorite era of hot rodding for sure!

4. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definitely a state of the art type of build in it's era. Other than the front fender lights, I dig the heck out of her.

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

luv it...
    but dump those gaudy headlights on the front fenders...

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

First street rod?

TagMan likes this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what is that motor?

8. catdad49

catdad49

This car looks to be exceptionally well done, it
    is definitely a tight package! Aside from the lights in the front fenders it is one great machine.

9. The article says 430 Merc with an Edsel Transmission.

10. flamingokid

flamingokid

I would have done things a little different,but it does make you think.And since he was looking for 60s conveniences,he nailed it.It's no different than a SBC with a TH350 and Vintage Air in a deuce nowadays.Not my cup of tea,but I won't be losing any sleep over it,either.

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The car is alive and well. It resides in Nebraska. Unchanged from the photo`s above. Paging Mr @54delray Paging Mr @54delray. He can give you the scoop on this car. When it was bought and the condition it is in now. I remember reading when Marv wrote to one of the Magazines when he was 17 or so and said that he waxed the car every 2 weeks. The editor said he would wear off the paint if he continued to do this.

54delray and J.Ukrop like this.
  12. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

There are some interesting details on the engine bay. The battery is there, mounted up high on the firewall, and it appears that the air cleaner housing was "adjusted" at the rear to accommodate it. And with the engine compartment lengthened to fit that big engine and all the other stuff it looks like he needed to use the Deuce grille's more vertical configuration to give him the last few extra inches he needed up top to make it all fit.

13. "Ludwig opted for a Deuce unit while keeping a full hood. (Personally I think a stock grille would help the lines of this car tremendously)."

Any chance somebody might Photoshop that look for us? I had the same thought.

14. Oh man let's see it! Come on @54delray!

54delray, bowie and stanlow69 like this.
  15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, lets see that baby today out in the sunlight rolling down the highway!

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

54delray went to a swapmeet today.

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I'm the the same line of those who don't like the turn signals. I could take it or leave it on the grille choice, might have removed the hood sides to eliminate the 33-4 sweep in the louvers. Pretty bitchin overall though. Love the late 50-early 60s vibe on most anything.

18. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Stock height top is cool too

19. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

The original builder's daughter contacted me thru the HAMB, and I put her in touch with the current owner. She was happy to get the info.

We talked about this car late 2018 as part of a discussion on the Customs board "What Ever Happened To ...? referring to its garage mate, a '49 Merc. This is the first time I've seen this thread from 2017.

Just curious, when someone calls you out like @cactus1 did above, am I supposed to get a notification or something ... because I don't.

cactus1 and stanlow69 like this.
  20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

@54delray Look at your likes. It should show I quoted you.

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am in love with this rear bumper! Are those lights frenched in the ends?
    upload_2019-1-19_10-37-59.png

54delray, cactus1 and catdad49 like this.
  22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Sorry, didn`t know how to post when the thread was started. Featured in Hot Rod. Scan0701.jpg Scan0702.jpg Scan0703.jpg Scan0704.jpg

54delray, cactus1, catdad49 and 2 others like this.