Register now to get rid of these ads!

high altitude carb help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty custom 40, Dec 17, 2009.

1. dirty custom 40

dirty custom 40
    from new mexico

I have a fresh 1986 sbc 350.The motor is all stock internally with the exception of probably the smallest rv cam you can get.I have a cast iron stock 4 barrel intake with a quadrajet california high altitude carb i bought from jegs.The motor runs very nice and i am getting a little over 20 mpg on the highway.I moved from chicago to albuquerque 3 years ago.I had a different quadrajet 4 barrel on another motor that was in the car before i put the new one in this year.With both carbs it seems i had to turn the air idle screws way out to get it to run the smoothest.Roughly about 5 full turns.The older carb was pretty worn and i didnt think much of it but was suprised to find i needed the same adjustments on the new one.Like i said the motor runs real nice but i think it could run just a little smoother.Curb idle right now is at 700 rpm,in park its about 1000.It seems just a little high and i would like to bring it down just a bit.This is the car i drive everyday and everywhere.I was wondering if a spacer plate under carb might help to put a little more air in the fuel mixture or am i thinking backwards.Both motors act pretty much the same at this altitude we are at which is 5500 ft plus.I regularly drive the car to california,phoenix,texas and other low altitudes and it pretty much runs the same no matter where i go.I was wondering if anyone might have any thoughts on this besides quit your whining and drive the damn car?

2. sdluck

sdluck

What dist is in it,whats the timing at,is the vacuum advance hooked up?If it has a HEI Timing curve is very soft and late.What is base timing at.