Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Hidden Agenda" Turbo Model A coupe rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 100mph WHEELSPINNER, Mar 21, 2009.

1. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

anyone have experience with a turbo timer? I guess this continues to run oil after the motor is off.....Im also looking into a methanol injection setup. Anyone have one they like.

2. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

Can you show me a pic of the boat vents???? sounds interesting.
    I get this thing done then the partying will happen. Hoping to have it put together good enough to make it to bowing green hrr. Its a goal anyway. I will not sacrifice quality to be on the road, but I have driven that far without most of the floor.

3. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

a turbo timer continues to run the motor after you turn the ignition off. i have one on my o/t turbo car. so i can haul ass to where i need to go and just get out and lock the car. the timer shuts the car off for me once it's cooled down. i can lock the steering wheel and set the e-brake. if anyone breaks in and tries to release the brake the timer shuts off and the car can only be started with the key.

don't really need a timer. just sit in your car and let it idle for a minute or two and you're done.

4. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

hm you either have a pussy diesel (no offense) or your pyrometer is post turbo. there is a 200-300 degree temp drop across a turbo in most instances. post turbo egt's aren't as important as pre-turbo temps because that's where the real heat is.

a mild diesel (chip, intake, exhaust, etc) can easily hit 1000 degree egts during high load states. a hot diesel does 1200 degrees easy.

newer trucks run even hotter. the newest trucks with particulate filters get insanely hot during regeneration. we're talking over 1000 degrees at idle!

5. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

btw water/methanol injection happens to be my specialty. pm me with questions.

6. Cool, ElPolacko first tipped me off about methanol intercooling.

7. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

While I still think the space shuttle tiles would be a unique and effective solution, can't seem to find a substantial amount other than 1 single sample of 2" x 2".

Perhaps something from these guys will be sufficient : http://www.insultech.com/thermal.html

8. Maybe look around for Snow Methanol Injection (Might be called SMC?). Basically you can inject it instead of running higher octane gas BUT that's a good luck buyer beware kind of thing.

My turbo before the blanket made the engine compartment so hot I expected to see the paint bubble at one point. I couldn't even touch the inner fenders.

I went 9.4@144 on race gas with issues on drag radials, and 10.0@139mph on pump gas making license passes on the same radials. My combo made 867rwhp on a dynojet at 25 psi with a 8:1 OT LS1 348 cid engine thru a T400. That's maybe 8.6 territory but I broke the turbo.

I haven't followed what engine you are going to run but I'd focus on a 66-78mm turbo depending on that and power levels.

I still have an HKS WG and Tial BOV off my turbo project, I'd sell them for 70% of current retail. The WG's are expensive.

I considered turboing my Merc but I'll just do that on some other car.

9. gonmad

gonmad

The EGT's on my car are about 1400 during a hard run. That temp is about 2" from the head. Cruising is about 1200 now that I have my timing down where It should be. Surface temps, I dounno? But I DO know that "stagnent" air gets REALLY hot! There is a spot in my engine compartment that gets hot enough to spontaniously combust #2 & 4 plug wires, that don't touch anything! That is after idling 20 or so minutes. That is pretty hot!
    Now I do also reccomend a timing controller of some sort. I just bought a MSD 6AL-2 and LOVE it! It is reasonable in price and has a fully programable timing curve. Which helps on temps if you have the correct timing! LOL. Before I had my timing locked at 24* and that made the EGT's about 12-1300 at cruise, for 7-8 years!! I shouldve done this LONG ago!

I hope you go thru with this, it sounds like a killer idea!!

10. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

where is the best place to get a 32 cowl vent?

11. i once saw an early essex with twin cowl vents. circa 28. looked pretty cool. maybe fab up a couple to be diffrent and gain more airflow?

12. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

Heres some updates.....

[​IMG]

front end under the car.

[​IMG]

wishbone notched

[​IMG]

firewall extension

[​IMG]

v-band clamps

[​IMG]

turbo mounted

[​IMG]

box/pan brake stand made

[​IMG]

bead roller stand made.

[​IMG]

playing around on the bead roller.

I have been so busy with work I havent got alot done. The motor is being built. Still shooting for bowling green hot rod reunion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  13. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Why are you trying to get all that HP out of the coupe? Bonneville, Maxton.... I just don't undrstand the concept of HUGE hp. without a plan to make a run on the flats.

My A Model sedan will make at least 550 hp. All motor, with 3X2's With that kind of power... You can SMOKE the tires any time you want.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

14. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

Why shouldnt I build the car with that horse power. I am planning on doing alot of drag racing. I am up grading from a supercharged 383. I think it will be fun to have a bullet proof light car that I can always turn as I get better at driving it....
    plus It should outrun my brodix headed 540 in my 68 camaro.

15. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Alot of drag racing answers the question. With a 2200 lb. car it will be a beast. Just put a decent cage in it. Looks good.

Kevin

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  16. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

cage is on the way....

17. gonmad

gonmad

Progress pics look cool, keep us updated!

18. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

What does the oil bath air cleaner you're using look like?

19. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

The guy I got it off of said it was off of a 55 chevy. It don't look like anything I can find on the net. It is around 8in. in dia. And has a 6 in long snorkel that I plan on running to the rear to cover the intake tube. I will get some pics as soon as I get a new digital camera.

20. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

Heres some updated photos of the coupe.
    finally on its wheels and pushed outside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Side view

[​IMG]
    Rear Outside

[​IMG]
    cage

[​IMG]
    floor

[​IMG]
    drivers side

[​IMG]
    From the Roof

21. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

[​IMG]
    "New bullet"

[​IMG]
    turbo and pedals

[​IMG]
    engine exposed

[​IMG]
    Turbo camo

[​IMG]
    engine with turbo equipment hidden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rear anti roll bar for preloading

[​IMG]
    some dusty bead roller work.

[​IMG]
    lots of dynamatt

22. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

[​IMG]
    My helper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    testing the bolt in door bars.

[​IMG]
    on the lift.

I cant wait to drive this thing. Let me know what you think.
    Jake

23. HighlyFavored

HighlyFavored

Wow. I have been dreaming of a turbo'd model a just like this. Fast as hell, but you have to look very closely to know anything is done to it. The air cleaner is perfect. How do you plan on getting fresh air to the turbo, still louvering the faux firewall? I wasn't sure if it'd look right, and to some it never will, but I think you could make it look good.

[​IMG]

24. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

planning on getting clean air thru the 32 ford cowl vent. we'll see if it works good enough.

25. That cage is darn near worthless. Especially with all that horsepower. There are a lot of dead tubes and no triangulation. The hidden turbo is awesome though. I am picking up what you're laying down.

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

It sounds like you are filthy rich

27. :confused:

Sounds like he has a really cool car to me.

brandon likes this.
  28. 100mph WHEELSPINNER

100mph WHEELSPINNER

Not rich, I spend every dollar I make on My kid and My hotrod. Ask anyone that Knows Me. I Have been saving Parts For a few Years for this build.....
    Sorry Im dedicated and Do all of my own work.

The cage Is not finished.

29. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Very cool nice work in hiding all the modern equipment. I'm trying to do the same on my truck and sometimes its hard to hide everything,but you nailed it. Nice work. I do have one question, Why did you tie the door bars so high in the front?
    Mat

30. VEry cool, did you get the 2nd firewall thing done? Looking good.