Register now to get rid of these ads!

HI there from Massachusetts

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Duellym, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Duellym

Duellym

Hello I am new here, I decided to join because whenever I looks something up for my truck I end up here. My truck is a 1947 ford pickup with a 360 fe, toploader 3 speed and a 9 inch rearend really poorly swapped in in the 60's or 70's. I'd like to someday turn it into a gasser with a sohc in it but being a sophomore in high school that really is t going to happen anytime soon. One really big problem I've ran into is the steering column is really close to the last exaust runner and the engine still needs to be dropped down and back, I'd like to keep it as simple and easy so I don't want power steering or any fancy electronic thing controlling it. Just yesterday I saw a nash with a hemi stuffed in it and my logic is if someone can get a hemi in a nash metropolitan I can get a fe into a pickup truck.

2. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome from Colorado. Lot great info here and a lot of amazingly talented builders.
    Post some pics of your truck and of the troubled area and I'm sure you will get some help. Nice to see young guy's interested in old hot rods.

3. Duellym

Duellym

Thank you. Here's a picture of the problem
    [​IMG]

4. mike bowling

mike bowling

Welcome to the HAMB from a fellow resident of Mass. ( quite a few on here).
    I'm sure someone on here has " been there, done that", so be patient, answers will be coming soon.

5. Duellym

Duellym

thanks. I hope someone has.

6. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

7. Welcome to the hamb! Cool to see another kid on here.

Hopefully someone can help you out here. One thing I have learned is that you should get everything into place as if it were going to stay there forever before identifying a problem. A couple times in my build I have came across issues which were simply fixed or had a simple solution found by installing the part more completely.

Have you tried to mock everything up? Do you have the headers yet?

8. Duellym

Duellym

Thank you.
    I have not gotten headers for it yet, I think it would be a better idea to drop the motor in more so the headers fit correctly. I'm making custom fenderwell headers for it.
    I might be able to notch the steering column tube a little to clear it though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey hey welcome aboard , seems that block huger headers may the best option budget wise , also a lot of car makers offset the motor to the passenger side , it's ok , I've done it....I inch is fine....best wishes on your build

10. Duellym

Duellym

Thanks.
    I plan on making some custom fenderwell headers for it sooner or later.
    I didn't know you could offset the motor, thanks for the idea.

11. Duellym

Duellym

[​IMG]
    Here's the best picture I could get of the truck, it's pushed up in the corner of my little garage so I don't really have space to take pictures of it.

And the motor [​IMG]
    considering the truck is almost 70 years old and we get snow, it's not in that bad of shape. The only problem is where the rot is there's a thick layer of bondo and a fiberglass patch, that will fall of eventually.

12. Are you going to make it out to Fitchburg swap this upcoming weekend? Even if you don't get some parts, it is a great way to meet folks. Just don't trust everything they say.

13. Duellym

Duellym

I'm gonna try to I hope Ican score a stock tranny crossmember.

14. 343w

343w

If you go with a tilt column it will allow moving the steering shaft to the left with u-joints to clear the exhaust. Check with Speedway Motors, and also Ididit has the parts for that fix. Welcome aboard the Hamb as well!