Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hi Guys! help with Serial number Merc 1939 please!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bloier8, Jan 16, 2019.

1. bloier8

bloier8
    from Argentina

My name is Pablo, i´m from Argentina so please appologise for my redaction. I´ve a Mercury coupe 1939 And i want to know if this chassis serial number is original. The flathead doesn´t have any number :(.
    Can someone help me please!!

Thanks all! IMG_20190116_122228_resized_20190116_013339111.jpg mercury 1939.jpg

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Bump for Pablo......

3. alchemy

alchemy

The lettering style looks like Ford's. But it's hard to make out all the digits. Check here to verify your number is in the correct sequence: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

They were originally stamped at the top edge of the transmission too, right near where it bolts to the engine block. You can check your transmission to see if they match. But many times transmissions have been switched over the years.

LOU WELLS and olscrounger like this.
  4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Straight back 9

5. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

beautiful car

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

look right to me from what I can see

7. You might also ask your question on https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4

As others have mentioned check the transmission. The number should be the same unless the transmission was replaced. If it was a US production vehicle the number would also be 2 places on the top of the left frame rail under the body.

The engines were not numbered in the US and I assume that is also true in Argentina.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

OK...there was only one engine available for '39 Merc...generally no number on actual engine, number was stamped on transmission and repeated on frame. Engine and trans went to assembly line as a unit. All were 99A's, meaning 1939 introduction 239 displacement family that was new that year. A was for passenger car (all mercuries) and T was same engine fitted to a truck.
    Many Ford products in foreign countries also got number on engine block due to local regulations, along with local specification number plaques on Firewall. There is also a black plaque on all Ford vehicles that lists important patents, which is not for registration.
    Ford used special number stamps...1 is like I, 6 and 9 have straight verticals.
    Argentina was right hand drive for a long time...RHD FoMoCo's got an "F" for foreign added to serial prefix...
    99AF-######. By the way, many F Fords were not even foreign...they were commonly used here on rural mail vehicles so the driver could reach mailboxes, for one thing.

Moriarity likes this.
  9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another thing...all 239 Fords and Mercs had the "99" to indicate the engine family at or near the front of their serial numbers through 1948, 1947 on trucks.

Moriarity likes this.
  10. bloier8

bloier8
    from Argentina

Thanks all!!! you´re the best!
    I checked and there is no number stamped on the transmission... nothing. So i think that maybe for foreing cars that were the rule