Register now to get rid of these ads!

hi from texas

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 210Spencer, May 14, 2010.

1. 210Spencer

210Spencer

Hey all. I'm an aircraft mechanic, mostly vintage repair and restoration for museums and private collections. I also run a shop working on mostly european bikes & cars.
    My projects skimmed down to the pertinent one to this site is a 1954 Packard Clipper I picked up about five or six years ago. The car was on her last leg and looking at getting chopped up so I picked it up for near nothing. I painted it within a few weeks of buying her then put it at the back of the shop for a few years and now I found it time pull her out and get it back on the road.
    I'm going with a SBC for now as I put together the money and ideas for a forced induction straight eight.

2. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Welcome fellow Texan!

3. Welcome from New Zealand. I live a couple of miles from one of our local Warbirds branches and usually get to see a free airshow at weekends. Vintage aircraft is quite popular over here and we've got companies that restore planes for customers from all over the world.

I love the idea of a blown straight-eight; supercharger or turbo? With your vintage aircraft experience, both apply (I had a friend when I lived in CA named John Burgess who did a lot of experimentation with forced induction on aircraft engines back in WWII.).

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  4. Welcome from Austin. You'll find plenty of good advice and assistance on this site. You won't believe the depth of knowledge here until you've been here a while.

5. mauler rich

mauler rich

welcome from Wilmington NC

6. Welcom from Dolittle,Texas

7. wino01

wino01

Welcome from New Waverly.

8. Welcome from Arkansas...

9. fxfxr

fxfxr
    from eureka, ca

welcome from Cal

10. tromper

tromper

Welcome from Irving TX!

11. fraso

fraso

12. 210Spencer

210Spencer

Thanks all.

The plan for the induction on the motor is a gear-driven compressor (lots of machining for me) regulated to put out to absolute pressure along with a single turbo providing the positive pressure to whatever I find suits my purpose. I have enough old school mechanical FI for different types of a/c motors that I will give that a try as well. My main problem is finding the correct motor; I am looking for the Packard 359 which has nine mains, is correct to the model car and is evidently so rare that I have never seen one except in photos.

By the way, did any of you Austin guys make it out to Ginny's or the Phoenix yesterday?

13. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

Welcome to the HAMB! Mass Here

14. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Welcome from DFW.

15. NOLUCK13

NOLUCK13

Welcome from Austin... lots to learn on this site!

16. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Welcome from Waxahachie!

17. Welcome to the greatness that is the HAMB

18. maddog247

maddog247
    from grapevine

welcome from dallas

19. motorhead711

motorhead711

Welcome from Northern California !!

20. Crease

Crease

Good to have ya on the board!

21. glenn sato

glenn sato

Hi,
    I'm Glenn from copperas cove, tx too. I'm a fabricator working for a contractor on Ft. Hood. I have Sonny Bryants 71 winter nationals winner, which I am in the process of restoring. This 56 chevy is complete, however, I need more photos of the exterior and interior to complete it. I joined because of the great pics and hopefully, someone out there has more info about the car.