Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hi All, New Here...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUSS BUCKLIN, Sep 18, 2017.

1. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Hi Everyone,

New member of the board. I have a 1950 Chev Styleline Deluxe, untouched, still with every dent and scratch my great grandparents put in it. Also the first car I ever drove, scared mom to bits because she could see the closeness of the left side to the parked cars and I couldn't see over the hood hump.

On a trip to Ocean Shores, WA in 1974 with dad and bro to tow back a '57 chev Belair two door no post, blew the tranny in Aberdeen at 9:00 at night. Talked to a restaurant manager who knew a guy who knew a guy who had a small wrecking yard in back of his place. He had a tranny that fit so Grandma came from Ocean Shores in her '72 Vega. We hooked the Big Chev to the back of the Vega with the tow bar we'd brought and towed the car to her trailer. Spent most of the night under the Chev installing the tranny and towed the '57 home the next day. Kind of thing that will never happen today, finding a tranny in a strange town at 9:00pm on a friday. That tranny is still in the car today. :)

els, Fern 54, Alt and 6 others like this.
  2. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi, Russ
    Great story!

els likes this.
  3. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Welcome to the HAMB.

els likes this.
  4. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome aboard...changed many a transmissions , your story is cool....post some pics of the style line.....

els likes this.

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story!

els likes this.
  6. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Welcome Russ!
    I'm doing a '49 Styleline right now.

IMG_0266.JPG

els, Fern 54 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  7. RMONTY

RMONTY

Welcome and post up some pics! Frankenrodz's pic looks familiar for some reason.....mine has a couple of more doors on it than his though.

brakejob.jpg

8. Welcome Russ

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.
  9. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Welcome to the brotherhood of hoodlums. I'm working on a 50 Styleline Deluxe myself.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  10. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Hi All, thank you for the warm welcome!

Sometimes, I'm a little forgetful. What I have is a Fleetline deluxe, not Styleline. Two door fastback, sea foam green, same color as Frankenrodz body color. Great grandfather bought it brand new. His name was Russell L Bucklin, so is mine, my dads and my son's. Car may be 100 yrs old some day and only ever registered in one name. I like that, don't know why. When I got the car, I opened the glove box and found my great grandfathers pipe and tobaco tin, still with tobaco in it, along with about 20 old registration slips going back to the 60's. Time capsule. Great grandma was about 4 ft tall and could barely see over the dash. Pathologically unable to back out of the garage without hitting the rear wings. They've been wacked, repaired, wacked repaired and wacked again. Currently in wacked state. I am in a serious internal debate about whether to fix the body or not. Mechanicals and electric are in for a deeep dive. I want a car I can drive cross country whenever the mood hits. (had to relocate my Alfa Spider to AZ, get it out of Seattle rain. Just hopped in and drove down. No problem. 80mph all day long, ran like a champ). I want the same for this car, except I think a Vintage Air setup is in the cards. I'll post some pics asap and would love to hear suggestions on the path forward re: engine/tranny upgrades (no SBC please, 6 only), restore or preserve etc.

chryslerfan55, els and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  11. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

12. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

I'd love to say it looked a lot better 30 years ago, but not really...

els likes this.
  13. Sporty45

Sporty45

Very nice. I like the car and the story. Definitely a keeper! :cool:

els likes this.
  14. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

like the car, like the story and like the plan! Keep us updated.

els likes this.
  15. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Welcome and thanks for the pictures, we love pictures!...if it was my car I would restore the body, I don't suspect it was all beat up when great grandpa bought it!

els likes this.
  16. RMONTY

RMONTY

Nice!

els likes this.
  17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, great grandma was a little tough on the quarters. I think that if you left the fenders as they are, the story about great grandma would be worth the price of admission.

els likes this.
  18. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome Russ, I think you will like it here. Lots of great people who love to help out others. Really cool history on your car also, being in the family and everything. Your towing story makes me think that you might have been lucky with only having to replace one tranny from that evening. Good to have you here!

els likes this.
  19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Welcome! I just painted a '51 four door Fleetline the same color as RMONTY's on Labor Day for my buddy's dad. Now I want one.

els likes this.
  20. els

els

WELCOME. Get ready for a fun and crazy ride you are about to be a part of. I hope to here more of your cool STUFF. Thank for joining us gearheads.