Register now to get rid of these ads!

HF Red Media Blast Cabinet - Gun

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aeroman, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Aeroman

Aeroman

Great, thanks! Yeah, they went up on price

2. Aeroman

Aeroman

Hey there, I'm not quite following you there. You take the copper coil, place it with the freezer system of the fridge and follow it to your regulator/dryer?

3. Aeroman

Aeroman

Vacuum system:

[​IMG]

Overall set up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. laydout36

laydout36
    from Texas

I have one too..... what did you guys replace your inner hoses with.... I used my blaster for almost one straight day and every damm five minutes i keep blowing a hose..... Mine leaks sand everywhere too, but next time i use it im planning to seal the entire thing with silicone....... Also some pics of those modified lighting would be awesome

5. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Outstandingly cool idea! :cool: Cold Beer and dry air - you're my hero! :D

6. Aeroman, I took the supply side of the compressor and it goes "in" to the copper coil and the other end goes to the regulator/filterdrier. I drilled 2 hole in the side of my freezer compartment and mine has a "basket" floor so I put it at the bottom below it. Make sure you don't have cooling lines in the sides, most don't. I just caulked around the lines and no problems, well, not a big problem, I must report on a day of using the compressor excessivly I have noticed a little icing of the beer, I assume from the thermostat in the freezer keeping cool from the onslaught of heat transfered thru the copper is the "problem"!!:rolleyes:

7. Koz

Koz

I changed the fittings in the air line to a more typical barbed fitting and used regular 3/8" neoprene air line, the red stuff, that I cut from a line I burned a hole in, (safety first!). The lines blowing off are more of a fitting problem than the lines. The air line doesn't collapse anymore with the red line.

8. laydout36

laydout36
    from Texas

no with mine it was blowing off the fitting at times and then ruturing (SP) the line at times too

9. Aeroman

Aeroman

Got it!!! Wow, ingenious, very cool (no pun intended). I have a very small fridge in the garage so it wont cut it, I think. Thanks for the idea :D

10. A picture of my inline cooling coil in my freezer, takes care of all the moisture blues....
    [​IMG]

11. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Some people are so friggin ingenious it pisses me off! Kidding, well kinda.

I get pissed off with myself for always thinking of hard, expensive way to do things.

Channeling Samuel L. Jackson now, "Look at the big brain on oldguard!"

12. Aeroman

Aeroman

Update on the cabinet. I added the coalescing air filter, additional lighting, and the gun upgrade. I havent tested it all out but the additional light makes a huge difference! The trigger of the gun is smoother but I found that the brass barbed fitting that came with the gun does not fit the HF hose (see pic). It's bigger than the HF one so I'll have to either used the smaller one or find a bigger hose.

I also picked up the dessicator and plan to install that too to another air drop.

I'll keep you all posted!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should I stick with the smaller ID fitting or use the bigger barbed one?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I found the best filter at SEMA this past year. It's called the fisheye filter. Works great with my blast cabinet. http://www.fisheyefilter.com/

14. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

15. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have some of these problems too. Overall it is a good unit. I used silicone to seal up the panels, now it doesn't leak. The liteing is a little poor, but I make do with what is there. I think when I need to replace the gun and pickup tobe, I wil; buy them from TP. Other than these problems. it is a good unit. For the money, you just cant beat it

16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been thinking about a HF blast cabinet for a while. After reading about all the upgrades and changes wondering if the HF unit is really cheaper than buying a better unit from the start. Has anyone run the numbers between an upgraded HF unit and a better unit (TIP or other) right out of the box?

17. I have updated mine with the better nozzle and light but the bang for the buck is good, just know these things going in. :D Moisture is your enemy on any air system!!

ANd grease? it will make it impossible to clean, you must degrease very well!

18. river1

river1

Check Craigslist I recently found a HF blast cabinet for under $100. will have to still do the upgrades but I figure i'll still be money ahead

later jim

19. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

I like that freezer idea... I went a slightly different route.
    Don't laugh to hard...
    We had a heater/defrost unit out of an OT car replaced and as it turned out the orig was still good so now it's my low buck air dryer (still run filters after it)
    [​IMG]

20. Aeroman

Aeroman

Update on the Skat Blast gun. Works great, smooth trigger but it bugs me that the large pick up tube pinches my fingers against the trigger having to slide them out to get it to stop blasting. Not a huge deal.

I've already had to replace a metal nozzle from the gun. I've only blasted two coil springs, a small leaf spring perch, and a plant pot holder. I am using alumina oxide at about 90-95psi. I just read I should do a quarter turn on the metal nozzle tip to get a longer life. Ceramic or tungsten carbide should last longer.

The lighting still kinda sucks and wished I could have placed the light dead top center. Might add another to the other side.

The window protector don't last long either. I have a small rag in there to wipe it from the inside. I also shut the lights off from the shop for better viewing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]