Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Hey Shithead!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Well someone once said that all hot rods are customs but not all customs are hot rods. ;)

2. flamingokid

flamingokid

BTW,it's a known fact in the paint industry that women do far better when it comes to color selection.Whenever I've had something painted,I consult women.Even with gun stocks,I ask the cuties what shade of stain I should use and whether I should go matte or gloss.I never lose money on a project,now you know why.

3. I was the "*hithead" back in the 60's... loved every min of it... :)
    Ryan, sorry, you loose this one...

4. Nice Merc :cool:and nice passenger;). She could chop my top anytime.:eek:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. If you were to ask Mrs. 'beaner I am still the shithead and she wouldn't trade me for anyone else. ;)

I guess no one in my family is "right". I have seen the granddaughter and the mrs walk right past a slick custom or two to look at an old beater of a coupe with a slick mill.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Nice car, and really love that color.....guess I was a ''yo-yo'' in high school....really thought I was hot stuff in my old car, until some guy came along with a pretty girl ''AND'' a super nice car...then I'd drive off in a cloud of blue smoke thinking "I'll show em' one day''....I'm still trying!!! Loved the 'shirt in the fan' issue...too funny!:p

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Never heard of that movie before.And now the most important question:Where is that Merc' now,25 yrs later?

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Don't know where that one is but there is a really slick Merc just up the road here owned by a fella calls himself blackmerc. He not only has the car but a really pretty lady to go with it. ;)

9. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Great flick. It's the movie that makes me pine for a ragtop.

10. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

dig that movie.

11. mike bowling

mike bowling

Love it- hope you still got dessert after that ass whuppin'.

12. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

I have always thought that customs were built by real men with true skill. Any knucklehead can (and does) remove a few fenders and make a car go faster. Mind you, Hot Rods are always a favorite, even for me but mostly because I know I could build one. I couldn't in my wildest dreams buy a stock bodied sedan, cut it up into hundreds of pieces then put it back together with style and grace though. That takes way more talent than I have.... As much as I would wish for it - I don't have it.

...and that's just the body work. You still have to know how to soup her up! (otherwise what's the point, right!?!)
    I should also say that a chopped sedan doesn't have real punch until it gets some sexy paint. Sorry to burst the flat black bubble but getting that wet look just right on a custom immediately sets you apart from the rat rodders and grease monkeys.

Hilarious Easter conversation...wish mine was like that! Instead we talked about misbehaving kids and puppies....and getting fat.

At least I got to play in the dirt, off road style in a RZR!

~Bro

13. Keith -

The chopped '51 Merc in the "Book of Love" movie was indeed Harry Mohoff's car:

Harry Mohoff \'51 Merc.jpg

Lee Lucero liked Mohoff's car so much that he had Dick Dean build an almost identical car:

Lee Lucero \'51 Merc.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. I would say that it takes a real skilled man to build a nice custom, there are a lot of abortions out there built by people that think they got it going on.

The custom in the movie is just slick, and that's a fact. But it is just your basic sosch car, football jocks and the guys whose dad had money had those and the rest of the population had to build what they could with what they had to build with. Those would have been called the hoods where I went to high school, the boss calls them Hoodlums. ;)

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

So...to explore the chilling implications of this study...having a roadster is about like joining the Foreign Legion, in terms of impressing chicks??

16. I think it is more of an exercise in what chicks like, kind of like the difference in a gory action flick as opposed to a good ol tear jerker.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'll be damned. Thanks for that.

wingnutz and HEMI32 like this.
  18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say no Bruce. Depending upon what the roadster is of course. A rough n tumble hot rod that has the smells and shakes we know about (and could care less!) might be a turn off. Something smooth and finished that drives easy and provides comfort? Different story. Some women don't like their hair to get all buggered up so no matter how nice they're out. We are talking custom and rod stuff here, but a 34 Packard roadster (really a cabriolet), always a win with the fair sex. My offbeat poll however did indicate that a well done custom is seldom frowned upon. Now Mrs Highlander? She more or less likes the rough and tumble hot rod but it also has to be nice. No dirt, rust, or anything "raw" about it, and this includes muscle cars. She's excited for me to get the 65 GTO finished and always loved to hang out during 2am street races. In a twist of taste she finds Model A pickups "...simply adorable...". Go figure...

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great clip, gorgeous car, cool conversation. The girls wet their pants, the guys get a hard on. I mean, I have never heard a guy say he wet his pants over a gorgeous car (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Nice Merc. Sorry you lost the debate. Now I have to see the rest of the movie.

21. Only happens if the car is really cool and it isn't pee. :D

It is a great clip. The merc is cool and the guy loosing his shirt is priceless.

need louvers ? likes this.
  22. I would take the Chevy over the Merc.
    Great Movie!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Arggghhhh. No, it didn't do anything for me bouncing down the alley in the clip.... I waited for it to, but no. I tried, I promise... The passenger? Different story altogether! Then the damned bloated thing pulled out and they took all the time to chop it and left that *^%$#* '51 back window in it!

I always risk insulting a few friends, But I think maybe you just a bit quick to so easily call the ladies the winners of the deal... As hard as I try, I just can't get myself to understand and dig customs.

seadog likes this.
  24. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

25. Road Angels

Road Angels

I would rather have the hot rod if it gets rid of wives and x-wives, naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggssssssssss, I prefer girl friends short term

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Muttley and kelzweld like this.
  26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks for the info HEMI32!

27. You my friend haven't learned that quality is much better than quantity! :D HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a '51 Merc full custom, in 1963. I got it from a friend that was having mechanical problems with the 364" Buick nail and '37 Roadmaster box...
    The top was chopped 4-1/2" genuine Carson padded top, canted Chrysler quad headlights, Nash grille, frenched '55 Stude taillights, Foxcraft flare skirts, and Buick Skylark wire wheels.
    Car was built by a San Jose Rod & Wheelers member, was painted irridescent green/gold, and named 'the Green Latrine'. Toupal tuck and roll, beautiful finished Custom.
    My girlfriend rode in it once, told me to "Sell it and finish your roadster!"
    First girlfriend I ever used a Custom to get rid of.

29. Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  30. 3 Things I love about that Merc. It's a 51, they kept the 51 rear window, the bumper guard-less 51 grille. If I could pick a 4th thing it would be the slanted B pillars.

Hot Rod Dirty's likes this.