Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey Kids. This is what the American Dream looked like

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreenMonster48, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Man...30% caddy comments, 70% bear penis comments...:eek:

My friend's uncle is still with us, and wants the car restored pretty much to original. We're probably going to end up putting on more correct whitewalls, and I'm lobbying for a tri-power setup...but alas she ain't mine.

I'm still incredibly thankful to even be around a car of that caliber, much less help work on it.

2. fat57

fat57

3. This is what my Dad wanted. It pissed him off that I owned a Caddy before he did, so he made me an offer and it became his. When he died, Mom sold it to a kid she knew. It was a '76, but still. Pops always wanted one just like the one in the pix.......

4. geezerkat

geezerkat

Give you $100 for those tail lights.:D Seriously though---nice ride.

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

love those old cadillacs keep on posting photos of them

6. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

growing up in a "MOB" neighborhood you learn to like Caddy's
    That one is a neat SOB!
    FRITZ

7. oj

oj

I did one of those '59's, absolutely incredible. The dash is a casting! The glovebox door is rolled 1/8" steel and you'd better have two hands on it if you take it loose.
    Have you turned on the radio yet? Wait'll you hear Patsy Cline or Hank Williams thru those speakers and tube amp. You have to let it warm up, takes a moment or two but it is priceless. Hell'uva car.

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

That one needs absolutely NO customizing. Just a through cleaning, reconditioning of all systems and gentle care. Anything more will only be a travesty.

Frank

9. skidsteer

skidsteer

Yes indeed, that was the dream of many of us. Just to see one go by with the top down would make you stop and stare.

10. Beautiful automobile. Strongly consider a good cleaning and keeping it as an unmolested survivor; it's worth repeating that your Caddy can only be original once, but you can "restore" it as many times as you want.

The hobby needs reference standards for important cars like your Cadillac.

Excellent piece of Americana, wonderful.

trakrodstr

11. tim townsend

tim townsend
    from ohio

WOW! what a beautiful car! all it looks like it needs is some washing and polishing.... what a truly magnificent piece of automotive history!!! hope your buddy sticks to original on that one....

12. DR

DR

Thanks for the memories..my dad was selling olds and cads in Redondo Beach on the 101 when that car came out. I remember him telling me after the new car preview at the Great Western Exhibit that it looked like a Buck Rogers car. I rode in and learned to drive in those tanks and gramps 33 Ford PU. Give ya 50 bucks for it......

13. DR

DR

Thanks for the memories..my dad was selling olds and cads in Redondo Beach on the PC hwy when that car came out. I remember him telling me after the new car preview at the Great Western Exhibit that it looked like a Buck Rogers car. I rode in and learned to drive in those tanks and gramps 33 Ford PU. Give ya 50 bucks for it......

14. DetroitDetomaso

DetroitDetomaso
    from Las Vegas

15. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

my favorite!!! she looks beautiful! i have been looking for a 1959 4 door hard top like my grandparents had and this thing gives me hope to find one

16. TooRoundTDI

TooRoundTDI

Hi, I'm Greenmonsters friend. It is still my uncles car and he really has the final say but I'm trying to talk him into not restoring it. It is in super good condition and I definitely know how important it is to other Caddy owners to have a reference like this one. Obviously Green and I will have to replace things like the gas tank, brakes, ect to get it driving but I will document everything as well as possible before I remove the old parts. We won't be working on it until this winter but I promise to make a project thread for it.

17. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Sounds like a cool deal.

18. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

chop it and crop it - bag it and drag it

all kidding aside - anyone buying one of those when they were new just had "got it made" stamped on their forehead. Ugly as sin (to a HSer, which I was), but wowsers....took a half an hour to pass one of those barges on the freeway if he DIDN'T step on the gas.

Best thing about those cars was what the taillight represented to the next ten years of customizers (wild or mild).

dj

19. lewislynn

lewislynn

"Traditional" hot rodding and customizing was taking a worthless piece of shit (AKA jalopy) and making it better. Not fucking up a work of art.

20. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Okay, so I'm lost here. A decent thread about a cool car, but someone has given it a one-star rating? What's with that? What am I missing?

Looks a great project, gents. Enjoy.

21. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

I thought this was the "American Dream"
    [​IMG]

22. SWANKEY1

SWANKEY1
    from Venice ca

Alway's loved a women with hood and trunk ....

23. Without question the ULTIMATE tail fin car! That one's a time capsule. Painting it would only take away from it's originality. Tell your uncle they're only original once..:cool: and he's got the coolest car on the block.

24. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

25. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Is this a Grizzly dick