Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey Cab... what do you think of Lords of Dogtown?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gracie, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i was tearing apart the house looking for my SS card and i found these today...

my pipeline membership ,,im thinking it was around 85-86-ish
    (back when i was whiter and about hundred pounds lighter! haha)

2nd pic,,about the same time line i guess(my COOL short shorts and T&C clothing,hahaha,back before i became a THRASHER! hahaha..man ,i was skinny!

3rd pic is some old boards i had,still have the clay wheel board..

Attached Files:

2. Kaucher

Kaucher

I went to Jr. High school with Jay Adams, Bobby Biniak, Jim Muir, Wentzle Ruml. They were all older than me except for Jay.

Wentzle live about two blocks away from me. They did some cool stuff skating but they liked to throw their weight around in school.

Jay and I almost got into a fight at John Adams Jr High in 1975 because of that.

I watched them do all that pool riding and it was really cool but no one ever thought it was any real big deal. Just something to do while we smoked a little herb. After '75 I lost touch with the whole scene, my buddy who invited me to hangout and I parted ways.

I gave my skate board away and started helping my next door neighbor building his '62 Vette, I never looked back until 2001 when "Dogtown Z-Boys "came out, it brought back some good memories of that Summer.

Good movie but it's no "American Graffitti". KK

3. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Gracie,
    sorry for missing this post until now:( But to answer your question... I really Loved it and saw it twice in a few days! the second time was even better:) i always go into a movie with an open mind and with no expectations and to think that here comes another hollywood attempt to make a movie about skateboarding! we'll i knew first hand that it would be good before even seeing it because Stacy Peralta was involved with it and he knows ...skateboarding and film making:) I really like the actors they got to play Stacy and especially Jay, Tony's charactor was iffy for me. I know they changed some time line things and added a few thing to the real story, but as an over all movie about skateboarding and it's history... it's awesome and i'll see it again and again and never get tired of it. Try not to compare it to other things and just take it for what it is and you'll enjoy the flick. There were two distinctive parts in the movie that gave me the chills and one was the shot where Tony drops into the dogbowl and does that first frontside air with that fadora ( sp?) hat on... i remember that shot from skateboarder mag back in the day so clearly to this day! and also when Stacy, at the end of the movie, talks about leaving G&S to start his own skateboard company (hence the Bones Brigade)... that really hit home and put a smile on my face:)

this movie was great and it will be a nice stepping stone for the next generation that came afterwards, plus it's a great history lesson to what has brought all of us ( that skate or used to) together to this post and this forum. I feel that the Hotrod Rod and custom car culture has the same feel to it that's why i'm so attracted to it... because it's real!
    best wishes and yes Blaize was awesome and Eddie was and still is a pretty good guy:)
    CAB

4. CGkidd

CGkidd

Hey Butt I still have my pipeline card around somwhere mine was from 86-87. I remember going there via bus from Fontana many times. Did you ever make it out to the nude bowl. Skated there many times. Salba skated my buddies place all the time. I can't wait to get into homeport so I can go to the movies. I still have my Losi LSD board circa 90.

5. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Wow, guess I got under someones skin. Oh well, I stick by what I say. Maybe you know another side of him.

Anybody know what Todd Congellieres up to these days.?

6. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

Wow this is a cool thread. I wasn't sure about seeing this movie but talking about the good old days of skating has me fired up. I remember riding my Bill Danforth everywhere. I must have put a million miles on that thing. There weren't really and skate parks around here at the time, so just did the street thing. How can you forget Tracker Trucks, Slimeballs and the German Bearings. Awesome.

7. You got under mine as well. Might as well be talking shit on my brother. Duane is the real deal and is what he is, and doesnt give a fuck about what you think of him.

8. On another note. I saw the movie and think it rules. It is what it is and like Cab said just go into it with an open mind. I will go back and see it again for sure. Jays actor played him very well, he was my fav. character, maybe becasue he is one of my favorite skaters. The one thing that was funny is Jay skates regular and in the movie he was goofy. :) and he didnt get the zipper head tat until after the Dogbowl days. Speaking of I wish they had showed more of those days at the Dogbowl. So anyone catch all the cameos-

Tony Hawk-astronaut
    Lance Mountain - England cop or guard
    Jay Adams - partying with Jays mom in the movie
    RedDog - as the skate contest secruity guard
    Skip Englom - cant remember what he was doing

Butt- that is rad you still have your Upland card. Mine is right on my mantle at home with goofy haircut and all. I am so glad I at least still have that, all my skate collection got "lost" in moving or sold all my boards when I was a skatejunkie in the gutter.

I wanted to go skate so bad after the movie, I just ordered a new Black label Jeff Grosso damn old school shape and all :), after running over my own skate in my garage.:(

Oh yeah who mentioned the Duane Peters movie?? I want to go see that so bad, I almost flew to one of the premiers in LA to see it. It should be out "real" soon now.

R.I.P.-DOGBOWL LOVE!!!!

9. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Wow, the internet - Where everybody's gotta like everybody elses friends. I had some bad run ins with the guy. If I had some bad encounters with your brother I'd say the same shit. If I ran into him now, and it was a good encounter, I might change my tune. But that ain't happened, so bugger that. Opinions are funny that way.

10. I guess I can understand that. but thats a personal thing. If I had a "run In" with a ripping skater and best damn punk front man, that guy would still be a ruler just not my fav. guy...

11. Kool Kat

Kool Kat

I wasn't going to chime in on this post (haven't seen the movie) but grew up in La Verne and went to pipeline alot. Pretty much a poser that could do basic shit. Makes me want to go buy some OP or Lightning Bolt shorts and shirts, still wear Vans. A friend of a friend had a nice homemade half pipe in his backyard in the foothills above La Verne (Baseline). We had fun but was more into BMX and Motocross. Mike Young was the shit to us riding in the hills every weekend. sk8 or die.

12. Built2Ride

Built2Ride

Talk all you want to about the Godoys tho...[/QUOTE] That's funny, most people have a problem with em. They grew up here before heading to Dallas. Steve gave me my first tat almost 20 years ago... still have it. Say what you will. :) Ken

13. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Hav'nt seen it but I'm going when I get back from vacation.

1981 Irving Texas at the RATHOLE

Board traced from a Dogtown board and made in woodshop. I was poor.

Attached Files:

14. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

A little more Oldskool.

1977 on a backyard ramp. Are those Bells :eek:

Attached Files:

15. Gracie

Gracie

What did he do olscratch? Beat you up? Steal your girl? Picked your pocket?

16. those two pics are so rad..

17. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

no,i never made it to the nude bowl,i remeber hearing about it but never been there..

we used to skate Sad lands, along with local spots ,...we built a mini-half pipe at home,but it was only 8 feet wide so you couldnt really jam TOO hard,but it was good for practice..the Wedge in pico rivera ,the V-bend ,abadoned houses with swiming pools,,and twin lakes in el monte before it became a subdivision,
    ,(why is it that abandoned houses have swiming pools??? or was it that the only abandoned houses we new about were the ones with pools??!? hahahA)

i was mostly a street skater though and loved skating uptown whittier or whereever...i just loved all the action of the streets,,all the cool spots to skate and things to make skate spots out of,,,the cars,the people,getting chased off,,,the different smells the night time the early morning,,it was all fun,,i miss those days..

i skated almost everyday untill i moved to kentucky in 93' its almost imposiblle where i live to street skate because there are either no sidewalks or the side walks are fucked up. it was discourging having to hop in a car,drive,get out and skate in an empty parking lot,,then drive back home..no adventure...

i still have a board,,i hop on everyonce in a while,,but what sucks is both my knees are so fucked up from skating i cant do much without throwing a knee out. after watching lords of dogtown i wanted to go home and skate that night! my daughter is growing up to be a SK8r chick groupie.

on a positive note though,,my brother is a director for the citys recreational deptment and they are working on getting aprovall for a skate park,its still sketchy at this point,but, if all goes well he's going to recomend me for the postion to oversee it and such,,that would be the most killer job i can think of!

i wish i had some cool pics to contribute,,but thats all,..
    we did do a cool photosession in the early 90's with my then GF at the time taking pics for her photoclass ,,she took lots of killer shots of me and buddies doing handrails,ollie wallrides,kickflips off of stairs etc,,but when we spilt up i didnt get shit from her..oh well,,..bi-YATCH :D hahaha

18. monsterflake

monsterflake

that may be the scariest ramp i've ever seen...how long did it last?

19. FONZI

FONZI

20. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

That Ramp was well constructed for a couple of 13 year olds. It lasted 2 1/2 years and I actually tore it apart to use the wood for another ramp. Built an unridable halp pipe because I could'nt scrounge enough wood up.

If you look close the side pieces were made out of a couple of pieces of tube from a swingset. We just kept crimping it where it need to be bent.

Ever bit of wood was drug up out of the woods and creek. 0 cost.

Ramp was'nt scary. The whole 7O's decade is what was scary.

Well, the ramp was a little scary. :D

My hair was even more scary

21. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Creature features TV show on Sat nights in the 70's was scary:)

I skated "Sadlands" a few time with Neil Blender, Lester Kasai and Lance mountain... awesome place and boy was it fun!

!!!!--Trivia bonus question--!!!!!

Name the one Z-boy from the Dogtown dayz that skated regular footed, but when he surfed, he rode goofy footed?

CAB

22. 133

^^^ damn, that's a hard one. it can't be somone obvious, so i'd say nathan pratt?

23. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

Man ... a bunch of you guys are old! ..... Thank god!!!!!

24. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i think Lester musta lived there(or close by) ,cuz,every time we went,,he was THERE...same with chris miller and the albas at pipe line,,,when they were in the house you might as well forget about riding the combie or the full pipe..hahaha

25. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Aw, I dunno...it was kinda FUN!!!!

Look what I was riding!!!!

:p :D

26. Psycho78

Psycho78
    from EXP, CA

I saw the flick.. I saw it at a bar/club.. They projected it from the dvd, so I'd Imagine the release should be soon I think I overheard it should be out in about 2 weeks....It was fucking badass. The music fucking rocked..It was kickass old skate footage cut to old punk. Couldn't ask for more. They have some early footage of the generation after Duane's (Hosoi, Cab, Hawk). Pretty cool to see since I came up midway through the bones brigade era. ANY SKATER/PUNKER PAST, PRESENT OR FUTURE has got to see it. I'm gonna try and catch Lords... tonight.

27. chopper daddy

chopper daddy

I was surprised to see this thread last so long! I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan on it. Like everyone else this brings back great memories of my Vision Lester, and my brother's CAB! Sprained ankles, road rash, and shredded Vans. Man, we skated everywhere we could, all the time!

Just this week they announced 3 new skate parks to be built in the KC area, and one just opened blocks from where I grew up! 20 years too damn late! We used to get run off by the cops in the very same damn spot! Go figure, MidWest progress takes time! Oh well, maybe I can skate it with my boy!

28. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

you mean wise:)
    you guys give up already?

!!!!--Trivia bonus question--!!!!!

Name the one Z-boy from the Dogtown dayz that skated regular footed, but when he surfed, he rode goofy footed?

CAB

29. monsterflake

monsterflake

Nah, that's not it, lemme think....

30. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

have you guys heard of the magazine JUICE??? i had never heard about it untill a few days ago,,buit i guess its been around for 10 years????(i live a sheltered life:(:D)

anyways,,this issue i picked up has a ton of interviews with old as skaters like hosoi,hawk,duane peters,steve alba,,etc,,,,very cool...