Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey Cab... what do you think of Lords of Dogtown?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gracie, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Gracie

Gracie

Have you seen it yet? What are your thoughts on it...

When I was in 6th grade, riding on my skinny clear blue plastic Makaha with OJ wheels, I used to think of dreamy Stacy Peralta... mmmm that stringy blonde hair...:D

2. hankcash

hankcash

me too!

hc

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I saw the sneak prevue Tue. night. It was OK, they changed some things around a little bit but not to bad. Gave the guys a little more skills on the street than I remember. All in all worth seeing if you're into skating. Some rad pools... Made Ty Page look like the chump he was. And I dug all the cameos...

4. Reprisal

Reprisal

from the previews i've seen i'd say it'd say it looks like some kind of teen melodrama trying to cash in on the hype surrounding the documentry that came out a couple years ago. but.... i haven't seen either one so what do i know:rolleyes:

personally, i'd rather see the documentry (synopsis here)

just my 2 cents

5. Reprisal

Reprisal

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Obviously not much, Stacy did both movies. :D

They did "hollywood" some of the stuff for Lords of Dogtown but it sure ain't Grind :eek:

7. view it for what it is. I personally cant wait. I will view it tomorrow night. I am stoked because i grew up around those parts skating even though not in that era, if you skated venice back in the day you learn to respect..

8. Built2Ride

Built2Ride

Shit yeah can't wait to see it... Nah forget it I'm going to FDR!!! Ken

9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

No way can it be as cool as the documentary. Not possible. :confused:

10. I'll hafta to go check it out.
    Used to skate eeeeonns ago!
    At our Island Invasion hot rod weekender I put on were setting up a Skate Sesh with all the ol'guys from around here.
    Theres a pile of 35-55 year old guys coming out.
    Some are bringin their kids who are amazin.
    Some are trainin just so they can get back in the bowls.
    Were gonna park all the rods and kustoms around the skatepark.
    Should be a fun re-union for some of the guys.
    Were gonna give all the kids some prizes too.....Shiny

11. Damn cool idea Shiny!!!!!

12. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

If they didnt make it into a drama, I think its gonna be pretty cool. Infact as long as its mostly skating its gonna be pretty cool.

13. Shoprag

Shoprag

we went down to san diego when i was like 18 in 1988, i don't recall were all we went but there was a half pipe with a single light bulb hangin over it. i don't remember which video it was in, skated a couple of pools. if i remember it right, it was tony alva and eddie retiggi (i know thats spelled wrong) we carved the pool hit the lip a few times and then they just flat tore it up, set back and enjoyed the front row seats.

14. JamesG

JamesG

The documentary was very good, I must agree.

15. Shoprag

Shoprag

my buddy just called and i'm talkin to him about this post. he reminded me when pier wielinder (another name prolly not spelled right) came to town. all he did was freestyle, kick flips, heel flips, and all kinds of other flips within about a 10ft circle. we were talkin about how we talked mad shit on him cause he wasn't a street skater. who woulda thought that the tricks today are a combo of both LOL. ok im done im gonna get back to him and talk about the good ol days.

16. Gracie

Gracie

Eddie Reattigui .. still bad spelling there... oh what an ass!

I worked in a skate shop in Mobile Alabama in 1986 or so... He came in all full of himself... looked a me putting together a board for some kid and said "Do you know who I am? I'm Eddie... I had to come see, I heard there was a girl that worked at this skakeshop... do you want my autograph?'

I didn't even look up, I just said "NO, do you want mine?"

What a goob.

17. luckystiff

luckystiff

ha thats some funny shit gracie. esp to anyone who has meet eddie and knows he had rock star complex. not to bag on him. alot of the guys did and alot still do. there were more that were just cool people and alot of the ones with the stars in their head were once you got to know them. i grew up in sleepy little dothan alabama skating with jamie thomas. or should i say spending lots of time watching jamie skate. that kid was crazy from the get-go. balls out 200mph all the time, but with style to boot. also one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. alot of my friends went to S.D. after jamie went out and alot of them work for blackbox(zero and jamie's other companies) including my best friend. i came north with the plan of going out west in a year or so. thats been 8 years now. oh well. maybe someday but no time soon.

oh yeah to stay on topic. i really want to see it and have high hopes. the documentary was good so...............ken....

18. Gracie

Gracie

luckystiff... did you go to the big Mobile Alabama Hanger contest back in 86 or 87 whenever it was? I worked at Enigmatic Ocean Surf/Skate shop back then... maybe we even saw each other? Small world...

Or maybe you were still in pampers in the mid 80s... I forget how old I am sometimes...:p

19. Jake H.

Jake H.

I can't wait to hear Cab chime in on this. The movie looks good by the looks of the trailer. May not be "Gleaming the Cube", but still good, no less (ha ha). They made that one kid look a whole lot like Tony Alva, too.

Makes me want to break out the old SC Jeff Kendall deck with the "too wide" Indy 159's and those "huge" Slimeballs wheels. My nephew thinks my old board is freakish.

Jake

20. 133

i'm going to go check the movie out tomorrow, it's looks good. it's too bad that the movie doesn't involve the whole Zephyr team. i've seen the documentary and that was really good. Jay Adams was damn good.

21. Saw it, liked Thrashin' better.

22. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gracie
    Eddie Reattigui .. still bad spelling there... oh what an ass!

I worked in a skate shop in Mobile Alabama in 1986 or so... He came in all full of himself... looked a me putting together a board for some kid and said "Do you know who I am? I'm Eddie... I had to come see, I heard there was a girl that worked at this skakeshop... do you want my autograph?'

I didn't even look up, I just said "NO, do you want mine?"

What a goob.

ha thats some funny shit gracie. esp to anyone who has meet eddie and knows he had rock star complex. not to bag on him. alot of the guys did and alot still do. there were more that were just cool people and alot of the ones with the stars in their head were once you got to know them. i grew up in sleepy little dothan alabama skating with jamie thomas. or should i say spending lots of time watching jamie skate. that kid was crazy from the get-go. balls out 200mph all the time, but with style to boot. also one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. alot of my friends went to S.D. after jamie went out and alot of them work for blackbox(zero and jamie's other companies) including my best friend. i came north with the plan of going out west in a year or so. thats been 8 years now. oh well. maybe someday but no time soon.

eddie was alway cool with me.he use to skate in S.D. alot.he came down a few times with his team and stay at my house.we would go down to T.J. and skate the park down there.skated with tony alva down there too.now jamie thomas thats another story.when he first came to S.D. he was super cool down to earth.all of a sudden he becomes some one in the skate industry and he gets a big head.he snubbed me a few times.now that two of my good friend work for and hes a dad now he alot more down to earth agian.

as for the movie i cant wait.iv skated with a lot of the guys how did the stunt work for the film.the only problem i can see wrong with the film is that in 1975 at the DEL MAR contest jay adams was 14yrs old.the guy playing him looks 17 or 18 yrs old.its only a movie right.

23. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

............gonna' check it out tomorrow. In '75 (yea......WAAAAAYY back there...) I worked part time in a skate shop and part time in a park (as well as my full time factory job) There was a show that came through Baltimore and from the previews, it looks like the show they portray in the movie. Alva, Dennis Martinez and Shugo Kubo came out to the park. Alva wouldn't ride it, but Shugo borrowed a pair of shoes from one kid and a board from another and ripped the place apart! He rode lines none of the locals had ever seen.
    The next day, I went to the show. It was the traveling "stars" and filled in with hot locals. I still have a magazune with Alva's autograph in the centerspread. Like him or not, he WAS the shit in his day!!

24. labelkills

labelkills

damn i had no idea this many skates are also rodders

25. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

This can't be as good as "Gleaming the Cube". Wake up, people.

Anyone remember Blaze Blouin?

26. Gracie

Gracie

RIP Blaise Blouin :( I knew him once... good kid...

27. Steve

Steve

your right fatass. Nothing can come close to gleaming the cube. Actually Bones Brigade III does and you can get it on DVD now.

who can forget the ramp that had the tunnel in it
    [​IMG]

28. hankcash

hankcash

Gracie
    were you a "Betty"?

hc-

29. shittt, please tell me your joking. besides I doubt they show it in belgium 1st, unless your here in the states.