Register now to get rid of these ads!

hey bodymen!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wombat barf, Nov 28, 2011.

1. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

How do we know tin man didn't just reverse the order of the pics?:D

2. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I'm not a bodyman, just a hack with a lot of spare time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

'nother example of ''real'' metalwork, and not putty & hi-build debauchery!

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed ''

4. outlaw256

outlaw256

DAMN!!! you guys are good. if one wasnt ready for the crusher before i started it was when i got done!! lol just kidding im ok but you guys are great.

5. For us old guys in the shop it was nothing to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. We straightened out hoods roofs and deck lids. But now with the (new) replaceable cars its is very uncommon to find a young body man that can still do it. We had real steel in those cars back in the day.. I still take pride that in my shop that if its possible I can still bump, shrink ,dolly and lead my way out!! I think I may be getting my second wind boys... What I do for a living as it turns out is now an art form!

6. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Wow, nice work on those roofs! Makes me want to go and get a 41 coupe I saw in a junkyard last month. Not in too bad shape, except someone pushed in the pass side B piller/roof with a forklift. I thought it was hopeless, but not after seeing these pics.

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

This kind of work/talent never ceases to amaze me...
    Totally unreal...
    My hat is off to all of you that can do this!
    Cheers.....

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Hey Tinman, I'll see your roof and raise you a customized croseley hotshot. LOL.

[​IMG]

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ok, so heres the deal. This is a 52 croseley I am doing right now. The owner told me a friend did the front end in the 50's. It has 47 kaiser fender tops welded on it and the grille is aftermarket. Kinda Jaguar looking eh? Well, I stripped the paint. This guy was busy for awhile!

[​IMG]

BTW, this is all welded and done in lead.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  10. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

I don't have any pics, but back in the early 80's did a 48 Plymouth that was in a garage that collapsed on it, the center of the roof was pushed down to the dash! I got the roof out fairly easy, had problems with the windshield opening, getting the glass to fit.

11. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

Well. Shit. I use ta call myself a body man :(

12. Thanks for taking the time to explain it Jay! I have a couple big dips in my cab roof that I need to try and "fix". :rolleyes:

13. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Lots of neat saves in this thread!

Its funny, I have some pics of the roof job stapled to my shop door and a buddy was looking at them, says "that musta been a shitty job, I bet you were pissed off for a month over that."

I told him it wasnt that long and that I really had fun doing it, he says anyone that enjoys work like that is a pervert and should have to register and be on an offender list.

14. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm sure no bodyman, but I like to dabble in it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I have a couple of before and after pictures of totals, usually the camera didn't get into the shop for me either.

I really didn't get into cameras, until the mid 1970's, then the camera that I got, the last place that I would take it was the shop. I had way to much money in it to take it out there.

And you usually didn't get paid to do that either. Many times you couldn't get some of the inner structure parts; which meant you would cut off the old, straighten it and then weld it back on to be able to finish the car.

16. sololobo

sololobo

Great stuff everyone, really a sweet job on the 57 hardtop, and what a cool customized hot shot. ~sololobo~