Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hex-shaped quickchange axleshafts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burnin53, Sep 23, 2011.

1. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Kinda stumped here. I have two Frankland champ quickchange rears. Both have spools with no splines for the axles,just a hexagon. Does anyone know where to get axles for these,new or used? I didn't get axles with them.
    I searched the internet and the HAMB and found zip. Neither Speedway nor Frankland seems to sell them. It seems everything switched to 31 spline like the nine inch stuff.:confused:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Is this thing on? :):(:confused::mad::p;):D:eek::rolleyes::cool::eek:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

BTTT....I wanna know, too! DD

4. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

How about a picture of what you have exposing the hex drive parts. You might just be missing a piece.

5. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

6. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

huh, that's odd, there are so many variations on qc's that ive never seen before it blows my mind....

8. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

This is a Frankland design part from years ago. The only place I would suggest to look for parts would be some of the antique race car forums or Racingjunk .com. It may be easier just to remove the spool and replace it with a 31 spline locker rear carrier, I believe the spacing is the same for the carrier bearings and then you would be good to go.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You might also try... Gary

Jamie Frankland
    Frankland Welding
    15064 Balm Road
    Tampa, FL 33602
    (813) 634-9556 - tech
    (888) 287-6148 - orders

10. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Thanks,fellas.

11. Hi Guys:
    I'm going from memory, but in the late 70's I remember the axles being used. I cant remember if they where 1 1/8", or as large as 1 1/4" hex shafts. I remember using hex bar shafting and cutting the axles to size. If you have the hubs it should be a simple procedure to find hex bar material to make you own custom axles. From memory again, but I beleave you can contact a metal supply house and they can order any size hex bar you need. The stainless comes in 201, 202, 301, 302,303, and 304. Titanium hex bar is a Gr1, threw Gr 23. Depending on what your using them for 1"-1 1/4" hex shafting would hold up in a street, or vintage sprint car. We ran them in a Full Bore Super Modified putting out around 700 HP, and weighing in at 1700 lbs.

If you can't find a supplier PM me and posable I can help find one.
    Good Luck Johnny Sweet

12. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Thanks for the info,Johnny.

13. Along the same lines anyone ever hear of 4 spline shafts for quick change gears? Still looking to solve this mystery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I'll add some fuel to the fire and maybe help someone.

Had a model a locked rear end in a vintage race car that was breaking the welds on axles that had been fabricated for the 3/4 floating rear end. They had a 1 1/4" 10 spline end into what may have been a spool. I never had the center section opened up and apart.

Couldn't locate any axles in a hurry to make new ones out of so bought two spendy drive shafts from Winters and cut them.

Low and behold new vintage race car project with a quick change had two welded axles in it that were junk and were also 1 1/4' 10 spline.. This time I was not in a hurry and after 6 months and about a dozen salvage yards that wanted to know what year make and model, I found somebody who cracked the code for me from his knowledge.

Said "I think it's early chrysler products, got one loose, I"ll take a look and call you back".

Sure as s---, he did. "yep, '52 and older chrysler products" he said.

Now I still wonder how it came about that both of these rears ends in the age of race cars built primarily of ford parts, had chrysler axles and that others in the sport I've talked about it with, have no awareness.

15. I may have the answer to your question. In the 70's before I raced Super Modified race cars I raced hydroplanes. I ended up owning fourteen racing hydroplanes over the last forty years. In the upper Classes we ran methanol in small and big blocks. Some where blown with the 6-71s and others just the Hilborn injection. When running the bigger faster boats at speeds over 150 MPH you must overdrive the propeller. This requires a gearbox. The two that I am familiar with are the Casalie and the Hall Craft. The Casalie used 8 spline shafts, but some of the Hall Craft used only 4. These gears that are pictured look just like Hall Craft gears. Keep in mind that somewhere along the line just after the war Hall Craft started building gearboxes, but there design was taken off the design of the quick change rear ends of the day. So I submit that there had to have been different quick change rear ends manufactured aether before or after the war with shafts and gears with 4 splines.
    I vote for Hall Craft gears.
    Later, Johnny Sweet

16. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Have a bunch of hex stock in my shop that was sold for screw machines (nothing that big,I don't think), but that's a pretty good idea for low buck axles. Always impressed with all the knowledge on here.

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Johnny, here's an old HallCraft, diff. but I think you are on the rite track.
    What year or era are these QC? maybe HAllCraft & Casalie are to new of era? Hope all is well up there!

Attached Files:

18. Burnin 53, sorry for the highjack, only looking for answers

19. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Don't be sorry,you're keepin my thread alive.
    And this is all good info.:)

20. hoping to get down that way in the next couple weeks to visit a certain cheese shop, cravin some CHEESE CURDS

21. Hi Lon:
    The Hall Craft I'm talking about is the early units. The picture you have is of the newer ones form the 70's. There where some very early ones with only 4 spines from the 50's.
    I also remember that there where different guys making there special personal gearboxes for different applications. When I built my twin engine Grand Prix hydroplane in 1975 we built the gear boxes using Caselie gears and shafts.
    Thinking back there was a Crackerbox boat with twin propellers and I think that guy used 4 spline gears.
    The 4 spline gears that are pictures with the 33,21 teeth would over speed the propeller shaft to a 1.56 overdrive. I think!. That would require a blown engine like my 511. Thinking back I would profitably have torn up the splines if there where only 4 on the shaft and gear. Just thinking out loud.

I purchased a barn load of old Super Modified stuff back in the late 70's just for a box of Vertex mags. I sold off all the gears and wheels and in and out boxes. There may have been some of those odd ball gears in those boxes of parts. In today world that shit would have been worth $20,000. There was three truck loads of parts. I think I gave $2,000 for everything.
    That's back when I was selling race parts in Canada every week end when I was racing hydroplanes I think I made all my money back just on the cams alone. Those Canadians would buy anything I brought across the boarder.

Later, guys, Johnny Sweet

22. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Oh,yeah,got some good cheese in Cuba,if nothing else.

23. Just notice this thread so I am going to guess that I am pulling up an old thread and going to feel dumber than usual here.

If the hex on the shaft is smaller than the bearing which in my mind it should be you can get Molley or Meralloy round stock and then mill a hex on the end for the axle gears or in this case ths spool. You would need to use a a horizontal indexing head but that is no biggy any machine shop with a mill should have one; or I should say I never worked one that didn't.

Titanuim would be higher than a cats back by the way. Neat stuff to use and work with but it is definately expensium and in a lot of places in the civilized not only expensium but also unobtanium. :D