Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hesitating Buying That 1940 Ford? Maybe This Will Help Convince You

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anothercarguy, Feb 11, 2022.

1. It's a 10 minute sales pitch giving reasons to buy the new 1940 Ford.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

40 Fords are wonderful cars

3. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

They are just about perfect.
    I've always said that a '40 Ford is the only car I could own as a 100% original and be just as happy with it as I would a Hot Rodded version.

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I always wanted a two spoke steering wheel!!! That was cool. And between us, I still lust for a 40 sedan.:D

5. I agree.
    My avatar has a sweet running Flathead..I have a nice Olds 303 with Hurst mounts, and trans adaptor ready to go, but just can't bring myself to swap out the Flathead.
    I'll keep the Olds around for the "maybe some day" day.

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I was in my friends mechanic shop the other day. There was a 40's ford I guess 1-1/2 ton flatbed truck a local house painter still uses at times. It was sitting in the back of the shop with the hood open. So I walked back to look at it. I was standing right next to it and didn't realize it was running!!!! The fan was turning but so quiet! When a flathead v-8 is right they are a very quiet and smooth engine. There, my comment on the ford flathead 8. :)

7. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Perhaps I was lucky or it was fate for me as a teenager. The 1934 Ford Coupe I was introduced to as a young teen was my favorite and what a favorite it was. It was a fast everyday street hot rod. It rolled up to our house weekly and thanks to my brother, I was introduced to a real hot rod. Oldsmobile powered, competitive in the A/Gas Coupe class at Lion’s Dragstrip and a true daily driver to school/job.

So, with that introduction, I liked those early Fords as a future hot rod. In my high school days, I was dumbstruck, with hot rods and drag racing cars. It was becoming a teenage thing, when I saw this 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with a 348 motor coming through the drive-in restaurant parking lot on a Friday night. It was love at first sight. A real 1940 Ford that no one else had or knew what it was, rolling in to the driveway.
    upload_2022-2-17_4-28-44.png
    My friend’s red 40 Ford two door sedan was what most thought was the typical Ford hot rod. Buick powered, red color, slight rake, chrome wheels, tuck and roll, and a nice rumble when it started. But, the stage was set for me to get something that would “make my day and nights.”

No one knew or figured out what a sedan delivery was so, it was a perfect hot rod for me. Surfing theme oriented, a hot rod in the sense it was a 40 Ford and it just had the cool look in the parking lot lights.

Jnaki

Most of the time, it was a two-door sedan, or the two-door sedan delivery. Even as a 20 something, married couple, we decided to repair and rebuild a 327 powered project, 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery for our family/business needs.
    upload_2022-2-17_4-35-48.png
    But, the four-door sedan in recent times has crept into the scene as a cool way to get access to the rear seating areas. So, if we find a nice 1940 Ford Sedan for our “old folks” cruising way to adapt to the pandemic, it would round out the whole history of a 1940 Ford for us.

Plus, if the pandemic ever gets over, the 4-door sedan would give us a great view of cruising around with our teenage granddaughter, now that she has her driver’s license. Suicide doors and all…YRMV

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I liked "Battery Condition Indicator on all models"

9. 4tford

4tford

It's an Icon! Henry's design is a home run!

10. F-head

F-head

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

40's are great cars. Over the years we have had/built 6 coupes, and sedan and a convert. Built 7 for others-a sedan delivery, two woodies a sedan and 3 coupes. Currently have a nice black Deluxe coupe with a flathead, Columbia etc. Too nice to make a hot rod I think. Looking at another one to do my way but age and room have to be considered-at 79 I'm good for one more I think. Can't beat a 40!
    My friend who has painted many 40's for us is downsizing a bit. I posted a 40 coupe project in the for sale section last night. We currently have a few "distractions" or I would already have it heading this way--may still-will see.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love that video--notice no knobs on ashtray doors, Headlight bezels look like the std ones but chromed, has the 11 louver grill sides--early on prototype.

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

The 40 Ford is my favorite. I went to a lot of trouble to keep that column shift in place. Drove it that way for 4 years before switching to a floor shift T5. This and the 39 Ford are the best Ford Styling but of course I I am sure I am a little bias....
    upload_2022-2-17_15-34-9.jpeg

16. belair

belair

Where do I sign?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

IMO the absolute best build thread on the H.A.M.B. If you don’t like this car you don’t like ice cream.