Register now to get rid of these ads!

Here's To ya.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Tech @ BG, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

We're just a bunch of guys into race cars, Hot Rods, and Muscle cars like you. We have a couple of guys that try to monitor as many boards as possible. We try to make help out where we can when it comes to working with carburetors, and fuel system components especially when it comes it ours. Since there is so much confusion on these topics.

Not trying to push out wares on anyone, but if someone asks for advice where we can help we will tell (from the horses mouth so to speak).

Hey if we can help a couple of people here, and there or even learn a thing or two ourselves its all worth it.

Any questions we can help with?

2. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

thanks for wanting to help.we're all dummies in a dumb world.

-danny

3. specialk

specialk

Interesting. I just saw the article in CHP, proposing how to get EFI mileage out of a carb'd vehicle. All the info in the article are quite useful, but... A $600 diagnostic tool is tough to stomach. Anybody have any advice on how to make this a little more affordable? (Also, the article was about Holley and Demon carbs, anyway to translate some of this info into eddy and qjet land?

Oh yeah, for all who haven't seen it :

http://chevyhiperformance.com/tech/engines_drivetrain/induction_poweradders/0510ch_tune/

4. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

Don't believe everything you read...

That article left out a lot of steps, and made some very radical changes that wouldn't be recommended even with data aquistions. It is a great article in principle, just didn't give enough information to keep someone from getting in trouble. Actually you can find good hand held O2 stuff for under $500 now. Still pricey, but a lot less than having to change pistons. You may be able to get some of this type of information from the guys at Edelbrock.

5. specialk

specialk

If that's the case, where can a full explanation be found (for any mfg)

6. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

There really isn't going to be one, since it's not a black and white type thing. Take the same combination, but use it for two completely different uses say one guy wants to rally race his old rod, while the other guy wants to tow a smaller trailer to shows. The tuning will be completely different based upon the driving style requirements. The only real way to do it would be to talk with your specific manufacture about your combination, and your specific goals.

7. specialk

specialk

I think the article was pretty clear about usage for the vehicle, they want the best gas mileage, HP and throttle response, all the time :) But seriously, it seemed to me that what they tuned for was the best combination of these three items. There's not likely to be a time when a guy who desires decent gas mileage would have a need for an 11:1 air/fuel ratio (would there be a time when ANYONE would want that?) Almost all of us know that 14.7:1 is 'perfect', many know that lean-burn engines have much lower concentrations of fuel and that, up to a point, more fuel means more power. It also seemed that the article described just how to get the best mileage without sacrificing performance.

Since RF (IIRC) is the editor of another Primedia rag, it would seem to me that maybe he should be contacted about this issue. As I see it, if what you're saying is true, there are going to be some number of 100's of CHP readers who are likely to blow up their engines because of what was printed in that article. It would seem that you would want them to pull the article on their website, and send mail to all their subs about how poorly this will affect them.

When I read an article with this much detail, from a magazine that's been around for a very long time, I have a tendency to believe what they print.

As far as talking to a manufacturer about my specific requirements, it would seem that, while they are interested in tech support, I'm guessing that they're not going to spend much time on the phone with me while I'm out in the garage on Sunday afternoon.

8. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

Actually some Super Chargerd, and Turbo Chargerd engines will need to be in the 11:1 range. I've got a ton of Super Charged boat guys running at 11.5, that would KILL for some extra economy. I'm not sure how many cars will even run at Stoich at WOT as far as A/F goes.

Having spoke with both the writer, and the current editor of Chevy Hi, they are supposed to have an addendum to the story up on the website, as well as a follow up story in the future. I've already spoken with a few people that have damaged engines by following what they did without a complete understanding of it.

Most manufactures aren't going to be around on the weekends (they need to have time to work on their ridees too), but are generally around at some point for you to contact to get the proper information.

9. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Its good to see some high profile companies taking a step to show some interest in our area of the hobby.

Now, if you would only do a Demon/stromberg we would be set! (and if you do, you can't call it a Rat Demon, that would be wrong...)

Mike @ Vehicle Specialties, Inc.

10. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

Mike,

We try! What other boards do you check out?

11. specialk

specialk

As I was writing, I was thinking that there might be a couple of combos that would need the extra fuel, thus my disclaimer :D

Also, I'm very glad to hear that this is being handled by Primedia. As I said, I would have followed their instructions to the letter, and maybe gotten in trouble. I'm just running a 62C10, 350/3 spd, Eddy 1405, and I'm REALLY interested in improving my mileage (~10mpg now, no surprise with 3.90 gears)

As far as tech support goes, I've had pretty good luck with Edelbrock (the only one I've tried to contact), but I would be interested to find out how much information I'd get if I tried something as indepth as the CHP article. One thing that article did do though, was send me off on a tangent of building one of those analyzers myself. I'm a software guy, have been for quite a while and I've always like the hardware too. It tough finding qty. 1 of some of the components I need, but hey, it's not unlike building a rod in that respect.

Thanks for your help, I hope to see the fruits of this conversation in CHP and my own vehicle too!

12. repoman

repoman

Welcome! Great to see you here. Most of us tinker with silly old carbs, but we also have race cars and such.

Does BG have anything in the works for us traditional look people? Any chance you're about to announce a new 3-bolt carb?

I know, it's a lot to ask, but I'll take six.

Then you can come over my house and fuck my sister. Seriously!