Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Here's an idea.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretty much the reason why it should have been addressed in private. Ryan already knows if he when he has stuff like this made, for charity or profit, they sell like doughnuts at a weight watchers convention. All this does is make him seem "heartless" (for lack of a better word) if he decides it's not something he wants to do. It's like when the cashier at a store hits you up for donations in front of everyone at a checkout. You feel bad ,or many do, for saying no. That cashier has no idea what you do or don't do for OTHER charities.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, would like to also get one, just feel that the fair thing to do to Ryan would have been approach him privately. He's a big boy and can respond to this for himself, I'm just voicing my unsolicited opinion.

seadog, doyoulikesleds and Speed Gems like this.
  2. I enjoy this 1950 Standard Ford coupe. With at 289 ford v-8 and a c4 automatic, greatest sounding pipes since I the 50's and 60's so sweet a sound. Not a perfect car as there is some rust in the floor not too bad.' it . runs and drives like it should Really nice chrome , and hot rod epoxy black. also have a 1940 for coupe. all chevy drive train,350,350 tilt and telescopic steering, Painted Viper red. thanks for the other members and ideas, thanks ,,Sam

3. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

4. Yeah. I gotta agree. You kinda just asked him to do all the work for a feel good project for yourself. Who's gonna deal with all the shipping? How about the time required to deal with the foundry and all the other logistics. Not saying Ryan wouldn't do it or that it's not a great cause or idea. But he already gives us this place for free. How much more do you want from him? I just think it's a really shitty position to put anyone in. If the idea really meant that much to you, you'd do it yourself.

On top of that, Larry specifically asked for not a big fuss over his passing and we should honor that. I think personally just make a donation in Larry's name. Offering the profit from a "hamb" item in order to draw in money when you dont have anything to do with the logistics is a rough spot to bur people in. Getting something for your "donation" just cheapens the act of giving.

But most of all I just wanna honor Larry and not make a big fus of his passing like he requested.

Excuse me while I go put my money where my mouth is.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Surfcityrocker, seadog, Tuck and 3 others like this.
  5. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

[​IMG]
    Who made this one ? Oh and yes I like the idea.

6. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Well i guess i was just thinking this would be a good way to remember a family menber, old friend, or car club buddy who had died of cancer. Ryan could charge the standard fee to cover the cost of set up, and shiping, etc.,etc. and then a buck or two more and donate said buck or two more to cancer reserch. Geez, i didn't think i'd get my chops busted over a good idea.

7. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I think Ryan did, and if O'Brien Truckers still has the mold set up shouldn't coust too much.

8. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Lost my Daughter at 11 years old to Cancer, it will de 29 years on Sept. 22. This year.
    I am definitely in for 2 . Thanks Frank.

9. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am in for one if they get made!

10. I think the shift knobs are intentionally made in small batches to keep them rare and exclusive. If this idea comes to pass I think it should be done in large quantities and not restricted to just Alliance Members, but to be most effective in donating to Cancer Awareness or similar, it needs to be as accessible as possible. Not everybody on here can afford to be an Alliance Member every year, but they may really want to Donate to a worthy cause. Just a thought

Max Gearhead likes this.
  11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No one is arguing your intentions–no one could rightfully say they were anything but good. But the truth is there are a lot of logistics involved in doing something like this correctly. And as soon as you introduce a real piece of specialized merch into the mix the amount of work increases exponentially. And trivializing that work does Ryan and Larry a disservice.

Again, it IS a good idea with great intentions. But who handles the work? Who handles the overstock? Or reorders if need be? Who makes sure the money gets where it needs to go?

I say make your donation direct in Larry's name or the name of your choice and rest easy knowing that much more has gone toward research. No doubt you'll remember the ones whose name it's been made in.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    seadog, Tuck, jeta12 and 9 others like this.
  12. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Right, that's what i'm saying. Order up a full run of them and put them in the H.A.M.B. store and donate let's sat a dollar from each sale to cancer research. Give the Alliance guys dibs on them first if you want but order a large quantity and put the rest in the store for people to buy at will. I realize the company that makes them makes other products and may not be able too produce them in large quantities and i don't know how much storage Ryan has but you could order a new run when ever need be and when they have a new batch ready sell them just like just like the other tag toppers.

13. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, just think it was handled differently than it should have been. Not busting your chops on any level.

14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool idea , I will be in for sure.

15. 1gearhead

1gearhead

I'll take one, maybe two.......

16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

A PM to Ryan would have been the courteous thing to do first IMHO before posting any of this.

Your good intentions are noble BUT you included everyone else first BEFORE asking someone to do something they may or may not be in the position to do, which puts that person on the spot, which may not be a nice feeling to that person.

Your putting Ryan on the spot on this one.

Not busting your chops- just my opinion and a thought of Ryan on this one.

seadog and Moriarity like this.
  17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Maybe if anyone knows if 3WLarry's family had a request for donations be sent in Larry's name to a requested cause, HAMB'rs might be able to make a donation that way.

Speed Gems likes this.
  18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Corncob.
    Danny has a post on that very subject.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/posts/11694168/

19. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

20. could be in for one or two, if it happens.

21. Hey guys, just to set the record straight on the shift knobs. I don't think there is any intention on Ryan's part to keep them rare and exclusive. The reason they have been done in small batches is that each one is made by hand and they are labor intensive to make. It took me weeks to make 100 knobs. They have kind of become collectors items after-the-fact, but that wasn't the original intention.

The second thing to keep in mind is that Ryan is not in the business of selling accessories. I don't want to speak for the guy but I'm pretty sure that keeping this place and his other sites up and running takes a lot of time and energy and is his real focus. Occasionally, he has something made that he thinks you guys will dig but, in my opinion, it's just a courtesy on his part. I don't think he sees it as a substantial revenue stream.

As far having some new HAMB tags made with a donation made in honor of 3WLarry. I like the idea and I think it's a really nice sentiment and a really nice intention but as mentioned above, it does kind of put Ryan on the spot because he is the guy that would need to make it happen. Keep in mind we don't know what is going on in his life and whether he has the capacity or the desire at this moment to take on something like that. He does have a family too. Also, it would mean money out of pocket for him. Not to mention, setting them up in the online store, tracking orders, shipping. It's kind of a big thing to put on someone. Just sayin.

Speed Gems, you're a good guy for thinking of it and absolutely no disrespect to you intended. I went to a funeral of an old friend just today. It's hard because you feel like you want to do SOMETHING to honor them.

22. I like the idea, logistics aside...nice to remember an icon of this forum, it just won't be the same. I'd be keen on one.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. Have lost too many friends and never met my grandfather because of cancer- count me in.

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My Foster Dad is on his death bed with lung cancer NOW. Count me in. Hope Ryan can do this...

26. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am in for at least 2!!

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey guys... thanks for all the good intentions. I never do anything like this unless I can be heavily involved. I've been burned in the past by just handing projects off and counting on others... And unfortunately, I'm about to have spinal surgery in about a week that's going to put me out of the game for a while. So, this just isn't something I can do right now. Sorry.

Binger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.