Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Here we go again...The July BANGER MEET!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, Jul 1, 2008.

1. 30 A coupe

30 A coupe

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

mmmmmmm:)

Attached Files:

3. ebtm3

ebtm3

Bill- I will check the blocks that I have and report tomorrow. Never thought about cracking inserts vs non inserts.

Herb

4. ebtm3

ebtm3

Bill- I checked my stash of blocks, 5 B, 3 diamond, including the one in my car. The only one that has a crack in an exhaust valve area, is a diamond. Don't read too much into this, as over the years, when blocks were easier to come by, I would scrap ones with internal cracks, not paying any attention to whether they were diamond, or not. I believe that most cracks in the valve area were caused by gross overheating. Been there, done that.

Herb

5. THere is/was a drawing in S O S S giving a dimension for the change in thickness of the deck.

6. Of a 'B' engine?

7. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Hello, what's this under my desk?

[​IMG]

8. THAT - is from the Nervous Bob emporium.... slightly beyond polishing for the chrome but a gorgeous piece of construction none the less!

9. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

We don't polish things where I come from ;)

How did you know about that then MB? I've just got my fingers crossed that it fits, pleeeeaaaase fit :D

10. I knew about them as well. :eek:

11. I guess cos I've moved it at least a dozen times - at least 3 or 4 times in the back of my van! Fit's a 105E carb doesn't it?

12. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Not entirely sure. Bob dragged out a 1500 Consul carb which is 32mm and it seems to be the right size.

13. In the S O S S magazine, volume 10 #2 there are Ford drawings on page 24 and 25 which shows an "A engine 1929 print which gives a dimension of 3/8" deck in all areas. The print on page 25 is of the engine from 32 to 34 and it shows a deck thickness of 3/8" at he outer edge but only 1/4 " at the valve not sure looking at picture but it appears that the 1/4" is just in the valve area. I also ran across an article in which the writer speaks of his "B" block cracking under the valve seat insert.

14. Interesting.

I know the deck is very thin on the portion of deck between the two inlets over the port.
    This picture kind of shows it...

[​IMG]

15. The cracks are usually from the cylinder to the valve seat/port or visa a versa not on the web between the top of the ports That does seem to be the thinnest area but it has to do with heating/cooling possibly trapped steam. The "B" blocks seem to crack in the floor of the valve chamber.I have 3 "B" blocks and the cracks were on the exterior walls of the water jacket on those. No cracks in the valve seats.

16. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Chassis is finally done!

So,...picked up some "U" bends today of exhaust tubing to get ready to make the header.
    Made a headlight bar today also,....took a break from ripping out shrubs, planting new ones and finishing up a fence,....not to mention fitting in some hours every other day in stripping that crappy brookville primer off that body!! I'm almost through!! geesh....

I was happy to see that after a thorough cleaning with denatured alcohol, and a chain inside the tank, followed by some CLR and then a bath of Tide and water, the inside of my gas tank looks pretty darn nice!! So, I think i'm gonna just run it as is, no sealer inside. Just gonna sweat and re-solder up the joints for the steering column and gas gauge, that should do it??

Been playing around with the single Winfield intake I got a good friend a while back. Not gonna run it, but i modified the linkage so that if I run it for some reason if need be, I'll be ready to go,...good to have a backup.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Don't mind my radiator shell assistant! he, he...)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  17. Looks really good!!!

18. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Really cool man, Dig the head light bar!!!!

19. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Hey thanks guys! Very kind of you,...

Have to head back out, I was dodging rain storms that were shooting through,...of course everything got wet,..so I'll be drying out a few minutes, then back to work.

20. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Yeah...I'm liking what you've done with the headlamp bar, too.

21. At the Antique Nationals you said something had broken in your engine. Have you found what broke? Just curious.

22. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bill,
    I haven't taken the engine apart yet. It is out of the car and I've removed the flywheel and found that the rear main cap is broken.

I've put the A on hold for now so that I could finish the Rajo T.
    We are triing to get the T ready for the Route 66 hill climb.

Are you going to bring your Modified to the hill climb?

Dan

23. I assume you mean the 66 hill climb and yes I'm planning on taking the lakes modified. And possible the RPU.
    You say the main cap is broken? That is a pretty stout piece. Out of curiosity, and assuming you have inserts, how much material was bored out of the cap? What is the O.D. of the inserts. Or did it break for some other reason?

24. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Yep headlamp bar for me also!

25. Anyone hear anything from the big "T" show in Indiana???

26. Did you make the headlight bar from scratch? I like the looks of the vertical supports. Good thing you marked where the shocks go!

27. Man I wish I was closer to the action up there. Would be interested to hear the diagnosis of the engine and also the results of the hill climb

28. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bill,
    I haven't taken it down past the flywheel yet. I suspect the the cap broke because the crank broke. I won't know for sure untill I tear it down.

29. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

crazydaddyo How is the pattern coming for the adapter????