Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Here we go again-a 40 std coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olscrounger, Jul 30, 2018.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another 40 in the works. A black std coupe. Will be 327 etc -moving along on it--fenders and hood in the house-glad my wife is understanding-she also helps me on these.

Attached Files:

LOU WELLS, RICH B, flyin-t and 24 others like this.
  2. the-rodster

the-rodster

Are you sure you know what do with that? :)

Just kidding, you the 40 man!

Rich

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Reported... Just kidding.

4. old skoool

old skoool

Will be following along.....you’re the best! Having an understanding partner is an added bonus.

lothiandon1940 and hendelec like this.

5. ...........Not just understanding, but probably more '40 knowledgeable than most folks on here. She's hands-on when it comes to building these fine forties.:)

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Beautiful. Don’t get any coffee rings on those fenders. Your wife’s definitely a gem.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

olscrouger, you should be able to put that car together with your eyes closed.

Gary

olscrounger and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

9. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

you are Mr Forty

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Good idea on the heater hose routing !

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Anyone running a 327 is "golden" in my book!

12. I put my battery under the RF fender like you always do, I loved it there, and I could access it easy by turning the wheels all the way to the right, but I sold the car and the guy who owns it now hates it under there... to each their own I guess.

13. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Glad you are staying in the garage. My old body has a difficult time these days. The mind tells me to go ahead and the body tells me you are crazy!

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Your wife is definitely a keeper! And I'll be following along on this build closely. I have a nice '40 coupe that is on the anniversary thread, and I'm liking that battery mounted under the right front fender setup a lot and would like to get more info on it from you and/or Dan Hay above. Mine is under the hood and under the AC lines with very poor access. This is the first actual pic of the setup in a '40 that I have seen. More advice and detail on this would be greatly appreciated from either of yall or anyone else who's done this, either in this or a new thread or just a conversation.
    Bought the car already finished and that's the only thing I'm not happy with. I built my Hiboy, but at almost 81 I just didn't feel like I had another build left in me, but it is the first time I ever bought a finished hot rod.

15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always a pleasure to watch your handiwork on the beauty’s you turn out. Looking forward to this one.

16. There's really not too much tech involved, I used a speedway bolt on battery mount and hung it off the frame rail. I actually used a Braille battery that is much smaller than a normal one, but as you can see from the pics above, a normal sized battery fits just fine. One thing I didn't do was modify the mud guard/fender brace to protect the battery.
    With the battery in that location, the starter (on a SBC ) is really close so you don't have to run the heavy wire back to the trunk and lose trunk space.

lothiandon1940 and olscrounger like this.
  17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just counted-this is number 15 and all but 1 had the battery under the fender. Location and size of battery/box is kinda critical so tire doesn't hit box on hard rt turn-I have a template and my 40 (#4) in my avatar for reference. regular battery fits but it has to be a short one-(10" wide, 7" deep and 6 1/2 tall-hot post to the left) I have the number but I just took a tape on this one. I make a guard to protect the battery and cut down the mud guard to fit as well-no big deal and the battery is close to the load. As said, this one will have a pretty snotty 65 327-plan to drop it in next week-wife will assist. Last CMG std coupe had a stout little 327 as well and our uph guy said it was the best sounding car he has had in his shop for years-he loved it when it had no hood-tried to get us to run it for a while minus the hood cause he thought it looked and sounded so damn good!!
    At 75 I'm a bit slower but still manage 7-9 hrs a day at this. Don't know how many more, if any, that I will do--I said no more four 40's ago-must be nuts!!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    LOU WELLS, dan31, Gman0046 and 12 others like this.
  18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it's been here for a couple of weeks and am making some progress. Brake assy installed and brakes bled with wife's help then rear line capped to remove rearend. It was quite a wrestling match! Only have one floor jack and used it for extra safety with the jack stands. Had to lift/drag it out after dropping rear shackles-not fun for an old fart! It's in the truck to go get checked out. All int wiring done and tested at ends for lights-trim installed and aligned on doors and quarters (had to alter/file down trim holes), door regs and glass installed and working- making progress. Got to get some SEM paint for some suspension pieces then hopefully install 327 and trans on Sat or Sunday- my wife will help! The fight with the rearend kinda wore me out today!! Sure would be be nice to have more room and maybe a lift but I've managed so far. At 75 I thought maybe no more (said that four 40's ago) but am really enjoying the build-already looking for another one-must be crazy!! Wife kinda would like a 36 cabriolet done our style-she drove our 40 convert and 62 Vette a good bit with no issues.Who knows what's next .
    Don't have the rear fenders yet from my painter friend-he is under evacuation orders due to wildfires.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    47ragtop, i.rant, The 39 guy and 5 others like this.
  19. You get more done in a couple of weeks than some folks do in a couple of years, myself included!:D

20. arthurC3

arthurC3

Much better than a pair of labradors.

Sent from my LG-H830 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. 504640

A black 40 ford standard coupe is one of the most classic models of all 40 fords. And on the 40 Friends site https://www.facebook.com/groups/310267855974674/ one of the most popular. We will be following your build there, and the following will garner much discussion. Come join us, please, 'scrounger!

22. gary kessler 1932

gary kessler 1932

Is this 40 for a client?? and will it be for sale??m your 40s are top of the heap!!

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And so are your roadsters Gary!

24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just another project. Progress today-was missing the little trim piece that goes behind the windshield molding inside. Had one-made a wooden buck and hammered out an other one-took a while-2 hrs but it fits. Then wanted to make sure windshield molding would fit, The ones for this car are wood grained and I sure didn't want to scratch em up! Have a spare set that I put in for fit-all good except like most 40's the screw holes don't line up very well. Redrilled at least 50% of them--all good now-have had to do this on most 40's I've done. Ford wasn't too picky on these I guess. Racking up the hrs but moving along well. Think maybe motor and trans tomorrow. Plan is to have it ready for uph in about 3-4 weeks-gotta hustle!!
    Couple of guys want to buy my CMG deluxe-kinda hesitant though. Gonna go this am to look at a couple of 327's and to buy two L79 intakes hopefully.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No 40 work today-went shopping-picked up a "490" number 66 350 HP 327 intake and a "461" 64 365HP 327 intake. May go back for more stuff--there are a couple of 327's and some Nova recessed oil filter blocks (283's) Other neat stuff too, Only needed one Chevy hypo intake for the 327 in the 40 project but oh well huh??

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hope @olscrounger doesnt mind a little Nova trivia.
    The "490" intake is a 66/67 piece, I acquired an NOS one years ago for my 327/350 hp.
    The Nova 283 "194" block has not reached the $$$ of the 327 version, the "721" block
    was used for the 1965 327/300 and early production 1966 L79/350 hp 327 engine.
    The mid year 1966 and 67 "362" block was the replacement casting for the "721".

27. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I'm not a Ford guy per-say but a 40 std. and a 39 deluxe along with whatever year PU have that style nose on it are my favorite. Looks real nice.

Pat

Tater Bug and olscrounger like this.
  28. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

making a little progress--hope to fire it a a couple of weeks. Rearend rebuilt, brakes all good, engine and trans installed. 65 327 with 70 dated 492 heads.Column converted with detent plate--shift indicator is an LED display behind speaker grill. Put in old windshield moldings for now to redrill and align the holes-woodgrain ones later. MVC-002S.JPG MVC-003S.JPG MVC-005S.JPG MVC-006S.JPG

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  29. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Somehow, once again the subscription notification of posts dropped me out, looking good.

olscrounger likes this.
  30. 504640

Have you plans to acquire a dual snorkel, L-79 air cleaner to accompany that L-79 manifold, 'scrounger?