Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hensel Auction Brillion Wisconsin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tractorguy, Aug 6, 2017.

1. tractorguy

tractorguy

This is my first time creating a thread and it is a long shot, but I thought I would give it a try. There was a large auction held on Saturday August 5 in Brillion Wisconsin. Mr. Hensel was a long time Chevrolet collector and had passed away about a year ago. He had lots of vehicles and several storage buildings filled with very unique Chevrolet memorabilia and lots and lots of NOS parts. Many of the NOS body parts were still in the original paper wrapping going back to 1930-1940.

Due to a family reunion that I absolutely could not get out of, I was not able to attend the auction. I had contacted the auctioneer by phone and email and was under the impression that she would consider some absentee bids on my part. I made the 4hr. round trip to the auction site the day before the auction.

My interest was in 1925-1928 Chevrolet 4cyl. engines and engine parts. There was LOTS of complete engines as well as parts......crankshafts......cyl. heads etc. I am accumlating parts to hopefully build a speedster type vehicle and I need a couple of engines to hopefully build one good one out of two and maybe have a spare....."just in case"

My face to face conversations with the auctioneer about leaving absentee bids did not go well. She emphatically stated that she does not take absentee bids on anything without a lot number......such as complete vehicles. I was even willing to leave a common bid for every engine in a specific row, but again to no avail.

My question is.......was anybody at the auction and possibly bought some of the engines ?......do you know anybody who bought any of the engines?.......I would again like to get info to get in touch and possibly buy several at a reasonable price.

Thanks
    Allan

2. sorry no help, but when there friday, quite a neat collection of NOS stuff. I'll check with a friend and see if i can get any info no the 4 cyl stuff

stillrunners likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have any pics to share?

4. made the mistake of not....cold windy and rainly, made me forget

5. tractorguy

tractorguy

Thanks for anything you can do on the local scene. There was so much stuff like the row of "doodlebug" type chassis and engines along the one fence row.......makes me wonder whether one of the local scrappers may have gotten some of the stuff including the engines. Thanks again

6. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Probably would have helped if it was know that there was an auction coming up.
    This is not aimed at you, but so many times info is posted after the fact.
    But, then again, maybe it was posted and I and others missed it?
    Sucks missing something so close.

sent from my toilet

7. I'll see my dad tonight and ask him. Henzel was part of the VCCA as my dad is also, and lots of his friends, and a bunch were staying till sat of the auction as bidders.
    Tractorguy, have we crossed paths before? grew up in that area, and my dad's in delafield/pewaukee area....Maple Ave

tractorguy likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Bumping this to the top for you. Have you posted this info request on the AACA Forum and Chevy site there? Bob

tractorguy likes this.
  9. tractorguy

tractorguy

I actually just found out about the auction only a couple of days before. I was led to believe that I could leave absentee bids if I did come to the preview day and make an arrangement with the auctioneer. That did not work out after I made the trip. If I had known that, I may in fact have posted a request and looked for someone local to attend and do some bidding for me.

I have been very fortunate to have bought some things with absentee bids over the last 20yrs. in Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska and N. Dakota. Just hit a brick wall this time.

10. Squablow

Squablow

I was there and I bought a shit ton of stuff, but no 4 banger stuff. A friend of mine picked up a couple of those frames but I don't think he got any of the 28-earlier stuff. Another buyer seems to have grabbed up all of the 4 cylinder stuff, I think he specialized in it. There were lots of '28 2 port heads and stuff to be found. Unfortunately I don't know the guy that got all the 4 cylinder stuff.

One thing I will say is, nothing went cheap. Those pallets in the back building were going for $500-$2000 each and multiple people were competing for those 4 cylinder heads and engines, I know because I would have bought them up if they were cheap. I guarantee none of them got scrapped.

If I had to guess, lots of 4 banger Chevy parts will be for sale either on eBay or at the local swaps very soon. But I'm guessing you'll have to pay dealer price for them, the buyer paid pretty dearly for them in the auction.

stillrunners and tractorguy like this.
  11. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Squablow, do you happen to know what the chevy coe went for? I debated between going to the auction and going to Elkhorn swap meet, I decided to go to the swap meet because any time I go to an auction whatever I am there for will go either really high or will be the last thing on the block or both(usually both). Plus I really didn't think I needed any more projects than I currently have and I am sure I would bought something I didn't need.

12. tractorguy

tractorguy

Thanks for the good suggestion. I do need to go to the AACA site and get familiar with the Chevrolet site there for this and future needs I may have.
    Thanks

13. tractorguy

tractorguy

Squablow.......thanks a bunch. Sounds like more and more lately.......there are not a lot of real bargains. Auctions do have a way of setting real value for items when they are well advertised and bring together a group of willing buyers. If any local info does surface about the buyers of any of the 4cyl. stuff, I would really appreciate an update.

Thanks

14. Squablow

Squablow

The COE went for around $3K I believe, I thought that was high because I considered it on the rough side, but I guess those are the hot ticket right now. There was an NOS 39-40 COE front fender there that I'm pretty sure topped $2K, just for the one fender. I know the fenders are the hardest parts to find and NOS ones have to be rare but still, damn.

Will do TractorGuy, if I run into the guy I'll get his info. At least you can sleep well knowing none of it got junked.

stillrunners and tractorguy like this.
  15. tractorguy

tractorguy

Squablow.......thanks again......I appreciate whatever you can do to update me on where all the 4cyl. engines and parts ended up. And.....yes.....good to know that at least if I couldn't be there do some bidding......the stuff at least did not get sold "by the ton".

Thanks

16. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Thanks Squablow. I figured it would be at least that much or more. I have never seen a nos fender for one of those, so I guess it is hard to judge the price, but I think I will weld up what I have.

17. haha, driving through Potter, i saw your sign, did the double take and figured that's your place. Spoke to my dad last night and he was told that there were big time swap meet sellers getting lots of pallets, seems a guy outta colorado was really cleaning house. Tractorguy, no info yet on the 4's

tractorguy likes this.
  18. Bear40

Bear40
    from Minnesota

https://vanderbrinkauction.proxibid...asp?lid=37398877&scrollLocationOnCatalog=5160

19. Squablow

Squablow

Yup, the Colorado guys had stopped in at my shop to ask about my '34 and just shoot the shit for a bit, so I kinda made friends with them, in the end I helped them load up all the stuff they bought and I got a whole bunch of leftovers for my efforts, which was cool. They bought a staggering amount of stuff but only had a dually pickup and an open trailer to haul it all back with.

They also sold me a pair of BLC headlights and a '29 Chevy dash that I had wanted but couldn't get separately during the auction. They seemed like very serious dealers and must have wrote out a pretty big check, but they were nice and they came to buy with a no-fucking-around attitude so you gotta respect that.

stanlow69 and stillrunners like this.