Register now to get rid of these ads!

Henry J Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagesurvivor, May 21, 2006.

1. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

The Survivor has a Henry J steering box/pitman arm. The tie rod end joint on the steering shaft that goes in the Pitman Arm is worn. Does anyone know the size of the hole/ tie rod end?

Mark

Attached Files:

2. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

3. Flatman

Flatman

Can you slip a wrench over the threaded section to judge the size? The threads are probably SAE (fine) And I wouldn't be suprised if the size was between 1/2" and 5/8". Can you eyeball where the threaded end goes into the tube to see if the end is right or left hand thread?

Flatman

4. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I'll check that out.
    I am going to pull the steering shaft, and try to match up the tie rod end. I'll weld the new one on where the old one was. I was hoping someone would know the size before I pull the old one so I don't have to fiddle around trying to track a new one down.
    I assume it's going to be some standard rod end size.

Mark

5. Flatman

Flatman

You should be able to find something that'll thread in if you have a good parts place that'll try to match it up. Don't weld it if you don't have to, it may have to be changed again one day, perhaps by your offspring:D Sounds like the car has a great history, post a pic :cool:

Flatman

6. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

No, I didnt mean I am going to weld it intot he hole. I am going to weld the rod end onto the rod (cut the old one off and weld a new one on)

Check out the "She's getting there..." thread for pics. Car dates to 58-59 time frame.

Mark

7. Flatman

Flatman

I thought you meant it threaded into a tube style rod :D I guess the rod and end are integral? Don't see too much Henry J stuff around here...:rolleyes:

Flatman