Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HENRY J Disaster Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, May 20, 2012.

1. Bummer.

So you broke an axle, what spline are they? Did you have some wheel hop?

2. No trans brake, that's for those serious racers, I've got a 6k limiter in the MSD box and 5800 on the shift light. I was foot "breaking" it to around 2 grand maybe with an advertised 3800 convertor.
    I have to say those M/T's were very sticky.
    I was so rushed to get through the burnout and to the line I didn't even look at the tach, just going by ear at that point.

Still sore but trying to stay moving so I don't get to stiff.

3. 28 spline and if you look at those pictures on the starting line it looks like the car barely even moved before the tire was coming loose.

4. I had a custom tank made to fit the stock filler location, what saved it was the rubber elbow connecting the tank to the filler tube. It gave and the only fuel that spilled was out of the vented cap. Having a car without a trunk brings it's difficulties to place things like fuel cells and batteries....lol

5. Like waddyacare replied, running a 9 inch ford rear, I probably should have laid off this stuff.

[​IMG]

6. Old Racer 35

Old Racer 35
    from virginia

got a good quarter nice and straight,havent run tubes in slicks in years nothing but trouble

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Haha!

Phil, do ya drink that stuff or put it on the tires?

8. Saxxon

Saxxon

Cool...

Not a big fan of Ford 9". HIGHLY over rated especially in stock form. There has been so much hype about them that poeple are running them stock thinking they are the end all. I've seen too many of them fail and shove the pinion out the front taking the drive shaft and transmission with it. Big $$. If you want to stay Ford then the 8.8 is the better way to go, just not period correct. I run a Dana 60 and have never had a problem.

Just glad you're ok... the car can be fixed or replaced, people can't.

9. Ha Ha Ha! That's some funny shit right there! :D

10. One Finger John

One Finger John

Glad to hear you're mobile. So much for my theory on trans "break" launches. Did you run those treaded tires when on the street?
    You have a great sense of humor about what has happened. It'll get you thru this.

11. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Wow Phil , you just cannot catch a break!

FYI : For those who have not meet Phil in person, it is amazing this happens to a good guy, as Phil certainly is !

How is your bad back doing now buddy ?

12. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Man that sucks!

I still need to come down to hang out there this summer!

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Phil..... REAL sorry about your luck....
    You got heart bro....the biggest in Buffalo....Keep Hauling......

14. Uncle Jess

Uncle Jess
    from Western Ny

Phil geeze I would have never guessed you would have crashed something.... Jim is definately the go to guy for quarter panel work... lol glad your ok man, Jesse

15. Just went for a walk with my 7 year old, he was tired of waiting on me...lol

16. Davyj

Davyj

Hang tough, it will work out. Sounds like the gang is standing behind you ready to chip in and help , that alone should make you feel much better. Just think if ya can't keep up with that little one now,wait till they emulate dad and go racing :)

17. Just in case you missed it.

I'd help you if I could, but I'm on the other side of the continent. The thing about bad luck is, it can't stay forever.

Hang in there.

Doug.

18. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

That sucks Phil!!! Can't wait to see you get it back together.

19. Yes I have a great group of friends, lots of help at the track and a entirely different group were here on Sunday helping to get the car in the garage. I can say I'm blessed with good friends for sure that sure helped in my time of need.
    Don't get me wrong, they sure like to break your balls along the way but certainly chip in..lol

20. Yes those treaded tires are the ones I had on it for the street last week. The slick still has the axle and drum bolted to it yet.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man, you just cant get an even break!

22. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Phil I just heard about this sorry to hear about the J anything I can do to get you back going let me know

Trouble

23. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Hey Phil, sorry about the car. Glad you're doing ok. Nothing a hammer and dolly cant fix though! haha You'll be out sooner than you know it. The summer hasnt even started yet and you're a mad man when it comes to hammering out work! I know you have the ambition to do it. Good Luck man, if you need/want any help just gimme a holler.

24. I ordered new axles from Moser today, should be here next Thursday, at least get it rolling again. Still not tackling that quarter just yet, I'm still hurting here and not up to that kind of stuff.
    I did see where scott's rods had a fiberglass quarter and the radius location is within a 1/4 inch from mine. A little pricey for me right after buying the axles so hell will have to freeze over before I purchase one for the time being.

25. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Damn man,shit luck your having with this. Hope you get her back on the track soon!

26. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

I'm not going to Thompson this year, but I'm glad that you'll be able to make it after all.

27. Nope not going, I used that money to buy the axles. I hope to get the quarter pushed out at least and ready to run the next Gasser Racing Series race on June 16th. Now of course I'd like to test n tune before that so I don't hold up the show again.

28. cooljunk

cooljunk

Feel your pain! Had a lot of fun with the Falcon and a lot of carnage along the way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. At least I'm not alone in sacrificing to the gods of speed. I broke a trans case in my 41 truck like you but mine was about an inch from the mounting surface all the way around and the middle.

[​IMG]

30. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Phil. Just saw this thread. Glad you are OK. By the looks of things, could have been far worse. Here is a Henry J site that you might be able to find a decent rear quarter panel. I'll be on the lookout for a replacement for you. Take care, and again, glad you didn't get hurt bad.
    Baron

http://www.henryjcars.com/forsale/forsale.html